Why is a Martini glass the symbol for alcohol/cocktails? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Why is a Martini glass the symbol for alcohol/cocktails?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why is a Martini glass the symbol for alcohol/cocktails?

Postby MadScott » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:00 pm

Man, talk about random thoughts but I was driving to work this morning and passed a billboard as well as a couple bars that all had the Martini glass with an olive in it next to the word "Cocktails". Just wondering if anyone knew the reason why the Martini became the universal symbol for cocktails/alcohol.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:07 pm

Yeah, that's interesting...I have no idea. I drink like a fish, and can't stand martinis...I usually stay away from the mixed drinks.. Guess I am the kind of guy that would much rather drink beer and the occasional shot instead of martinis or drinks...Although, I will dabble with the margaritas.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Martini's are nasty blah :-L
I'm not sure why it's an alcohol Icon, maybe cause of the uniqueness of it and the sophistication it implies. Martini's are traditionally happy hour and after work drinks and not to mention Maritini lunches.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Why is a Martini glass the symbol for alcohol/cocktails?

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:31 pm

MadScott wrote:Man, talk about random thoughts but I was driving to work this morning and passed a billboard as well as a couple bars that all had the Martini glass with an olive in it next to the word "Cocktails". Just wondering if anyone knew the reason why the Martini became the universal symbol for cocktails/alcohol.

Well, what else is drunk out of a martini glass other than alcohol? If you want to show a picture of a glass and have it universally recognized as a "drink" or "cocktail," what other glass could you possibly show which will immediately make people realize what's in it? A pint glass? No. Not really... People drink just about anything out of a pint glass... A whiskey tumbler? No. Not really... Again, people drink all kinds of things out of a short stubby little glass... Just about the only thing that one drinks out of a martini glass, though, is an alcoholic drink of one sort or another... So if I were going to put a picture of a glass on a billboard and expect people to understand it was a drink, that would be what I would put up there, too...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:40 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
MadScott wrote:Man, talk about random thoughts but I was driving to work this morning and passed a billboard as well as a couple bars that all had the Martini glass with an olive in it next to the word "Cocktails". Just wondering if anyone knew the reason why the Martini became the universal symbol for cocktails/alcohol.

Well, what else is drunk out of a martini glass other than alcohol? If you want to show a picture of a glass and have it universally recognized as a "drink" or "cocktail," what other glass could you possibly show which will immediately make people realize what's in it? A pint glass? No. Not really... People drink just about anything out of a pint glass... A whiskey tumbler? No. Not really... Again, people drink all kinds of things out of a short stubby little glass... Just about the only thing that one drinks out of a martini glass, though, is an alcoholic drink of one sort or another... So if I were going to put a picture of a glass on a billboard and expect people to understand it was a drink, that would be what I would put up there, too...

this sounds rational. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:00 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:

How bout a champagne glass?
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:50 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Yeah, that's interesting...I have no idea. I drink like a fish, and can't stand martinis...I usually stay away from the mixed drinks.. Guess I am the kind of guy that would much rather drink beer and the occasional shot instead of martinis or drinks...Although, I will dabble with the margaritas.
:-? :cough: can'tholdhisliquor :cough:

:-b

Plindsey88 wrote:

That's a great rationalization to be sure. Come to find out the Martini is another great American innovation. ;-D Being such a unique glass, I guess it does make sense.

BTW, for those that don't like Martinis, give a dirty Martini a try first, it'll take the edge off. For those that are really beginners, I recommend Grey Goose Vodka martinis, smooth as silk.

Personally, I pass on the Vermouth, I'll take my booze straight thank you, much like Lushcrush.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:33 pm

According to Wikipedia:

"The martini has become a symbol for cocktails and nightlife in general; American bars often have a picture of a conical martini glass with an olive on their signs. The martini is a cocktail made with gin and vermouth. Over the years, the martini has become somewhat of an icon, having been referred to as the "King of Cocktails". "
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:38 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:According to Wikipedia:

"The martini has become a symbol for cocktails and nightlife in general; American bars often have a picture of a conical martini glass with an olive on their signs. The martini is a cocktail made with gin and vermouth. Over the years, the martini has become somewhat of an icon, having been referred to as the "King of Cocktails". "
I read the same thing. A dash of this and a pinch of what Plindsey rationalized and methinks we've got some understanding. It just struck me as a bit odd is all.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lushcrush » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:29 pm

MadScott wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:According to Wikipedia:

I read the same thing. A dash of this and a pinch of what Plindsey rationalized and methinks we've got some understanding. It just struck me as a bit odd is all.

It's tradition baby ... ;-D
I prefer to pull into places that have bodacious dancer and a bottle of Windsor Canadian on the sign :-)

I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk