Wasn't there someone who said draft WR before rb? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Wasn't there someone who said draft WR before rb?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Wasn't there someone who said draft WR before rb?

Postby Pigskin_Porkers » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:23 am

I remember someone at the beginning of the season stating it was to dumb to draft RB's early because top level WR's were more reliable. They had this whole theory written out.

Was just curious to whom ever it was....what is your record, and what is your current team.
Pigskin_Porkers
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pigskin_Porkers » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:28 am

ahhhhh got it...........

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... r+strategy

Looks like this puts to rest this strategy...unless he pulled some trades out of his rear end.....

His team would be toast in any type of competitive league.
Pigskin_Porkers
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby gogogadget » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:38 am

I'm thinking of picking 4 RB's in the first four rounds next year. If I had done that this year I still would of had Steve Smith, and housh, and guys like Kevin Curtis on my team.
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pigskin_Porkers » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:46 am

Yeah I grabbed 3 Rb's with my first three picks Dom Davis, Portis, and Dunn (Deep 14 team league). I am the highest scoring team in the league by far.....was so deep at RB I was able to trade for Joe Horn and also upgrade QB to Brady, while keeping my first three picks. I don't think any of this would be true if I had followed the WR first strategy. My WR's are: Donald Driver, Jimmy Smith, Andre Johnson, Joe Horn, and Reggie Brown....not to shabby for not getting a WR until the 4th round.

I think the lesson learned by this defunked theory is the best strategy is to draft the best available player possible in the first 3-4 rounds.
Pigskin_Porkers
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PapaPark » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:53 am

Well the year before RBs dominated. Then, last year it was the WRs that took off. This year it is the RBs again.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:14 am

Pigskin_Porkers wrote:ahhhhh got it...........

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... r+strategy

Looks like this puts to rest this strategy...unless he pulled some trades out of his rear end.....

His team would be toast in any type of competitive league.

no way does this season put the strategy "to rest." there was a lot of rb busts this year. i had this discussion with someone else a few weeks ago if you want to find it... we looked at the bust rate for the top 20 or so rb's and top 10 or so wr's.

not going to redo all the analysis, but rb's busted out with a higher percentage than the money wr's especially if you took out the pre-season automatics of tomlinson and alexander (although even including them, wr's did better).

and i suppose that, "in any type of competitive league" a team that drafted jamal lewis first round and followed with k. jones on the turn would be flying high? hmmmm?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:19 am

Matthias wrote:no way does this season put the strategy "to rest." there was a lot of rb busts this year. i had this discussion with someone else a few weeks ago if you want to find it... we looked at the bust rate for the top 20 or so rb's and top 10 or so wr's.

not going to redo all the analysis, but rb's busted out with a higher percentage than the money wr's especially if you took out the pre-season automatics of tomlinson and alexander (although even including them, wr's did better).

I had a discussion with someone else a few weeks ago and it said you're wrong.

I'm not going to redo all the analysis.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:25 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Matthias wrote:no way does this season put the strategy "to rest." there was a lot of rb busts this year. i had this discussion with someone else a few weeks ago if you want to find it... we looked at the bust rate for the top 20 or so rb's and top 10 or so wr's.

I had a discussion with someone else a few weeks ago and it said you're wrong.

I'm not going to redo all the analysis.

i thought that was your analysis?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benjapage » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:44 am

gogogadget wrote:I'm thinking of picking 4 RB's in the first four rounds next year. If I had done that this year I still would of had Steve Smith, and housh, and guys like Kevin Curtis on my team.

that's what i did, and essentially the personnel i landed.

edge, jordan, caddy, arrington (can't win 'em all)...then bulger, branch, heap, j.smith, galloway, housh, curtis...

12-1, points leader, 1st place overall. that's with bulger as my qb, so i consider myself fortunate--and likely to go down in week 15. :,-( that is, unless bulger makes a miraculous comeback, or garrard/carr step up large.

i don't think i'll ever stray from rb through least the first 3 rounds.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby louisianacajunsam » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:53 am

i have a system for drafting...i rank all my players by position and then i draw a line, seperating the elite fantasy players from the next level....but i do agree to always draft running back first...let me explain...

if i would be making my list today, i would prob do this...

qb- 1. peyton manning
2. carson palmer
3. marc bulger, etc

rb - 1.ladanian
2. shaun alex
3. edge
4. larry johnson (if no priest next year)
5. deuce mcallister, etc

same with wr's.....

so if i had the number six pick and all of these first four top tier rb's were already drafted....then instead of taking a 2nd tier rb, i would look to a more dominate qb or wr left on the board....

maybe i would take chad johnson or carson palmer or something...

this system has worked for me..

always take best on the board...
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk