Wasn't there someone who said draft WR before rb? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Wasn't there someone who said draft WR before rb?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Matthias » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:35 am

benm3218 wrote:Mathias will never admit he is wrong. He is one of those guys that would have to be proved wrong 5 yrs in a row, then he'd say "Well I wasn't wrong, the league changed, when I made my statements I was right at the time." What a loony.

Your wrong. It was a time proven system that you were trying to over analyze, and you were wrong this year. Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. No need to test it next year, it would be the same.

I drafted 4 stud RB's before my first WR. It worked brilliantly.

you can call me loony and call me stubborn but you're the one missing out. all i ever try to argue for is a little bit of rationality and a little bit less narrow-mindedness in people's approach to things. and if that makes you uncomfortable, then that's the price of a small mind: nothing i can do.

quite frankly, your approach above is a joke. if there was a 12-team draft where 11 teams went rb-rb-rb-rb the team that didn't would clean house. it depends, obviously, on the setup of the league and mandated starters, but under a normal format the team that would be allowed to do rb-peyton-chad johnson-antonio gates would clean your clock.

so horse, here's the water. do you want to take a drink?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jayday » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:05 pm

Matthias wrote:
benm3218 wrote:Mathias will never admit he is wrong. He is one of those guys that would have to be proved wrong 5 yrs in a row, then he'd say "Well I wasn't wrong, the league changed, when I made my statements I was right at the time." What a loony.

Your wrong. It was a time proven system that you were trying to over analyze, and you were wrong this year. Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. No need to test it next year, it would be the same.

you can call me loony and call me stubborn but you're the one missing out. all i ever try to argue for is a little bit of rationality and a little bit less narrow-mindedness in people's approach to things. and if that makes you uncomfortable, then that's the price of a small mind: nothing i can do.

quite frankly, your approach above is a joke. if there was a 12-team draft where 11 teams went rb-rb-rb-rb the team that didn't would clean house. it depends, obviously, on the setup of the league and mandated starters, but under a normal format the team that would be allowed to do rb-peyton-chad johnson-antonio gates would clean your clock.

so horse, here's the water. do you want to take a drink?

ben....i'd like to see your roster....especially your 4 stud RBs....that should tell us how competitive your league is......

matthias made good points about how if every team went RB-RB-RB-RB, then your strategy is flawed.....you cant just get sucked into such a rigid strategy.....

so horse....care to sip some kool-aid?
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:06 pm

Sorry guys, but I don't know how anyone can attack Matthias' position. He's not defending the guy that said to go WR, WR, WR becuase he thinks that strategy is fool-proof. All he is saying is that there are more approaches than RB, RB, RB.

The fact is that in a 12-team draft, there are going to be 12 different strategies and just as many opinions about each player going into the draft. Once you start making picks, strategies are going to collide and chaos will ensue. Once this happens, only a fool would refuse to adjust his strategy.

In any draft, there will be someone who screws up right in front of you. There will also be someone who takes the guy you were targetting right in front of you. When that happens, you should adjust.

If you are going to rely on hard-and-fast rules to determine your draft strategy, don't make them rules about positions and rounds. Use rules like "don't get caught up in a position run" and "try to get as many playmakers as possible". Those rules will ensure value throughout the draft.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:06 pm

actually, that's the definition of insanity. there is no one strategy that absolutely works more than another. there are so many factors that go into a working draft strategy. if you can only start one rb each week, do you still draft 4 rbs with your first 4 picks?
deuce mccallister, kevin jones, jamal lewis, and tatum bell...were those 4 would be studs before the season started? none really lived up to expectations...either through injury or underachievement...or both.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby wickerkat » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:28 pm

OK I grabbed a player ranking pre-season 2005. Compare these two examples, and the points they have gotten so far in MY league:

LT 209
Westbrook 83
SJax 91
JJArrington 12
AJohnson 31
LColes 26
Collins 143
TOTAL 595

vs

LT 209
TO 110
Westbrook 83
Wayne 77
AJohnson 31
Caddy 70
Collins 143
TOTAL 723

I think I like team #2 better, where you take the best player, regardless of position, planning to take a QB in the 7th round.

Of course, as we've all said, anything can happen. Studs at QB, WR and RB get injured, and underperform. Mediocre players step it up. IMO, to go RB, RB, RB, RB regardless of who is out there, isn't smart.

Good luck,
Wickerkat

PS-I went RB (LT), RB (JJones), WR (Holt), RB (Caddy), WR (DJax), QB (Bulger) and I'm 9-4, in first place in my division, and am the points leader in my 8 man league. Sure, it's an 8 man league, but still.
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby louisianacajunsam » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:14 pm

act sarcastic t.o. lover if u want...u called me a visionist....u act like t.o. hasnt done this before...so i'm not joking when i said that i really figured something very similar to what happened would happen....

when he and rosenhaus said he was coming back, he clearly stated he would not be a happy camper, and would cause problems...u dont believe me? i dont know man..go look it up or something...

it in fact did not take a genius to see it coming...visionary? = NO....smart decision to not draft him = YES....
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:40 pm

This year and alll years have been more about the TE than most think! Drafting Gates even in the third round is going to get you a huge boost in team value, probably more than any pick outside of SA or LT. Other than Gates and Chris Cooley no TE's outperformed their draft pos. from my point of view... many underwhelmed: witten (no. 3 TE, yea right) dallas clark,
some had some good stretches: McMike, Heap.
and others like Crumpler simply lived up to their name. Gonzo-the jury is still out, but he's a nice playoff guy to have.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby louisianacajunsam » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:45 pm

i agree...i just screwed up that same theory this year...i said after the dominant wr's and rb's were gone...i was gonna get gonzo cause of how much it would boost my team value...i just screwed up the pick and took gonzo in the fourth....shouldve taken gates...what an idiot am i...

especially after i rode gates to the championship last season...shouldve been loyal
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby wickerkat » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:01 pm

totally - the dropoff from #1 te to #5 is about 60 pts

and let us not forget about the importance of drafting and/or adding a top kicker and defense - for example:

kickers #1 132pts, #10 93, with #6-8 still available
def #1 127, #10 102 with #3 & #6 still available
with guys starting players that are LOWER in points totals than what is available on the ww

it may seem like little stuff, and could only be 5 pts difference a week, but i lost by 3 points once this year

good luck,
wickerkat
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:07 pm

wickerkat wrote:OK I grabbed a player ranking pre-season 2005. Compare these two examples, and the points they have gotten so far in MY league:

LT 209
Westbrook 83
SJax 91
JJArrington 12
AJohnson 31
LColes 26
Collins 143
TOTAL 595

vs

LT 209
TO 110
Westbrook 83
Wayne 77
AJohnson 31
Caddy 70
Collins 143
TOTAL 723

I think I like team #2 better, where you take the best player, regardless of position, planning to take a QB in the 7th round.

Of course, as we've all said, anything can happen. Studs at QB, WR and RB get injured, and underperform. Mediocre players step it up. IMO, to go RB, RB, RB, RB regardless of who is out there, isn't smart.

Good luck,
Wickerkat

PS-I went RB (LT), RB (JJones), WR (Holt), RB (Caddy), WR (DJax), QB (Bulger) and I'm 9-4, in first place in my division, and am the points leader in my 8 man league. Sure, it's an 8 man league, but still.

I don't get it. Can a player be on a team in each division? I dont see how you can compare those two teams. One guy got Westbrook in the third, while the other took him in the second. Pretty fair representation if you ask me.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk