Wasn't there someone who said draft WR before rb? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Wasn't there someone who said draft WR before rb?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Matthias » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:23 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
wickerkat wrote:OK I grabbed a player ranking pre-season 2005. Compare these two examples, and the points they have gotten so far in MY league:

LT 209
Westbrook 83
SJax 91
JJArrington 12
AJohnson 31
LColes 26
Collins 143
TOTAL 595

vs

LT 209
TO 110
Westbrook 83
Wayne 77
AJohnson 31
Caddy 70
Collins 143
TOTAL 723

I think I like team #2 better, where you take the best player, regardless of position, planning to take a QB in the 7th round.

Of course, as we've all said, anything can happen. Studs at QB, WR and RB get injured, and underperform. Mediocre players step it up. IMO, to go RB, RB, RB, RB regardless of who is out there, isn't smart.

Good luck,
Wickerkat

PS-I went RB (LT), RB (JJones), WR (Holt), RB (Caddy), WR (DJax), QB (Bulger) and I'm 9-4, in first place in my division, and am the points leader in my 8 man league. Sure, it's an 8 man league, but still.

I don't get it. Can a player be on a team in each division? I dont see how you can compare those two teams. One guy got Westbrook in the third, while the other took him in the second. Pretty fair representation if you ask me.

easy. wickerkat is looking at it (i'm guessing) from the stance of someone in the #1 draft spot so from that seat, the 2nd round / 3rd round draft choice is the same, essentially. except on the first team, he just kept drafting down the expected available rb's and on the second, just kept drafing down the best available. at least, that's how i'd read it.

and onnestabe, thanks. glad someone hears the message.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wickerkat » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:31 pm

Matthias wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:
wickerkat wrote:OK I grabbed a player ranking pre-season 2005. Compare these two examples, and the points they have gotten so far in MY league:

LT 209
Westbrook 83
SJax 91
JJArrington 12
AJohnson 31
LColes 26
Collins 143
TOTAL 595

vs

LT 209
TO 110
Westbrook 83
Wayne 77
AJohnson 31
Caddy 70
Collins 143
TOTAL 723

I think I like team #2 better, where you take the best player, regardless of position, planning to take a QB in the 7th round.

Of course, as we've all said, anything can happen. Studs at QB, WR and RB get injured, and underperform. Mediocre players step it up. IMO, to go RB, RB, RB, RB regardless of who is out there, isn't smart.

Good luck,
Wickerkat

PS-I went RB (LT), RB (JJones), WR (Holt), RB (Caddy), WR (DJax), QB (Bulger) and I'm 9-4, in first place in my division, and am the points leader in my 8 man league. Sure, it's an 8 man league, but still.

I don't get it. Can a player be on a team in each division? I dont see how you can compare those two teams. One guy got Westbrook in the third, while the other took him in the second. Pretty fair representation if you ask me.

easy. wickerkat is looking at it (i'm guessing) from the stance of someone in the #1 draft spot so from that seat, the 2nd round / 3rd round draft choice is the same, essentially. except on the first team, he just kept drafting down the expected available rb's and on the second, just kept drafing down the best available. at least, that's how i'd read it.

and onnestabe, thanks. glad someone hears the message.

exactly - so i'm comparing how a person in the #1 draft spot in a 10 man league might have done going either 4 RBS or BEST AVAIL. as you can see, #2 outscored #1, and that is with TO going out - he could have just as easily taken Moss or Holt (Moss also a bust, IMO, but Holt, even injured, is a top WR this year).

good luck,
wickerkat
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benm3218 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:16 pm

wickerkat wrote:Well, not to get in the middle of this, but rather, i'm bored on a snowy saturday in chicago, but to draft "stud" rb the first 4 rounds is not IMO the smartest thing to do - can it work? sure - and depending on how many teams are in your league, you might have drafted a stud for your first pick, but the rest? doubt if they are "studs" unless you got lucky - and i'd like to see your wrs then - like i said in my last post, aside from the top 10 or so rbs AND wr the drop off is HUGE - so you would have been better off going LT, Holt than say LT, KJ or JuJo

another example (total points in my league so far):
qb #1 palmer 217 pts, #5 eli 148, #10 favre 124, #20 mcnair 93
rb #1 sa 235, #5 tiki 126, #10 dunn 99, #20 bell 65
wr #1 ss 182, #5 holt 128, #10 TO 110, #20 tglenn 72
5 kickers over 100, #10 at 93
11 defs over 100, top at 127

this tells me that your GOAL should be to get as many players in the top 10 at each position as possible - so if that means going RB, WR, RB, WR, QB so be it

if you had the #1 pick and did it the way you said, RB, RB, RB, RB, then I guess WR, WR, QB it might have looked like this in a 10 man league:

LT
Suggs
MAnderson
TBell
Boldin
Horn
Collins

Some good things, but I wouldn't call that 4 stud running backs. I think the point that I am trying to make is take the best player until the top 5-10 at each position are gone, regardless of position. That could mean going LT, Holt. I try not to draft my QB until the 5th round, but as with RBs and WRs, I think it is all about who is the best player out there. If there is a run on QBs in the 3rd round, you may want to step it up. Depends on how you feel. With so many RB injuries this year, it probably isn't a typical year.

Good luck,
Wickerkat

No, actually it is a very competitive 10 team league. We start 1 RB but have 4 off flex spots to play as desired. I drafted Tiki, Rudi, T. Jones and Dunn before a WR. I had 8th spot in the draft. Now maybe my use of the word stud is loose with regards to Dunn, and true Jones wasnt a guarantee before the season. But I like those guys much better than WR' available at the time.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Matthias » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:31 pm

benm3218 wrote:We start 1 RB but have 4 off flex spots to play as desired.

moral of the story: don't go out giving advice based on fringe league settings.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wickerkat » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:15 pm

sounds like you did pretty good

i'd love to see your draft roster though

good luck,
wickerkat

4 off flex? jeez, just start 4 kickers - lol - or can you do 4 qbs? :-)
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby benm3218 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:47 pm

Well its more structured than 4 qb's lol..... But, its a 2 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 4 off flex, 2 LB, 1 DL, 1 DB with 21 roster spots, and 1 player you can tag as a keeper the next yr to count at whatever round you took him in.(if you try to keep him 2 yrs in a row it counts as a 1st round pick to discourage keeping same guy every year) So if I keep someone I got off waivers it counts as my 21st pick, or if I keep a guy I drafted in round 3 its my third pick etc..

It creates high scoring games, and a ton of waiver wire work every game. Makes the year very fun.

I can see your point Mathias, if you play in a league that only allows you to start 1 RB well then of course I would go with best available at the time.

In my case, since it is a 2 QB league, some guys took a QB first round, some took a WR like Owens or Moss(that turned out bad) and I took the RB's they were passing up since I had 8th and 13th pick in the serpentine draft.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby stikmata » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:50 pm

Holt hasn't been a bust either... 5th highest in scoring in my league (.25/rec)... i'm sure he's even higher in others
stikmata
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk