Anyone need a QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Anyone need a QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone need a QB?

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:52 am

Apparently, the backup QB from Florida, Josh Portis, is transferring. He has listed a number of schools he wishes to attend (all non-SEC apparently) but the list hasn't been released outside the UF athletic department. Basically, he said that he is leaving because of a lack of playing time... I guess he expects to come into an SEC school and start as a true freshman, something very rare nowadays with the way defenses play... in the SEC especially.

Here is the article:
http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 1/51209027

Anyways, he's a talented dual-threat QB with a strong running ability and probably (he wasn't tested much throwing) a good potential to throw.

It's not that big of news on a national scale, but I just wanted to get some people's opinions on if they think that this will be a growing problem with the changing of athletes nowadays... the TO effect if you will. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:01 am

he had to know that he wasn't going to be the man right off the bat. i don't understand kids these days. oh well, it always seems that when guys like this transfer thinking they're going to be awesome somewhere else always seem to go to smaller schools and then you never hear from them again. only one i can remember off the top of my head is nate hybl, being a guy that went from one major d I school to another...and that's just because he played at OU while I was there. (transfer from georgia)
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:04 am

moonhead wrote:he had to know that he wasn't going to be the man right off the bat. i don't understand kids these days. oh well, it always seems that when guys like this transfer thinking they're going to be awesome somewhere else always seem to go to smaller schools and then you never hear from them again. only one i can remember off the top of my head is nate hybl, being a guy that went from one major d I school to another...and that's just because he played at OU while I was there. (transfer from georgia)

Brock Berlin transferred from Florida to Miami. He wasn't that great, though.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moonhead » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:38 am

Gunslinger wrote:
moonhead wrote:he had to know that he wasn't going to be the man right off the bat. i don't understand kids these days. oh well, it always seems that when guys like this transfer thinking they're going to be awesome somewhere else always seem to go to smaller schools and then you never hear from them again. only one i can remember off the top of my head is nate hybl, being a guy that went from one major d I school to another...and that's just because he played at OU while I was there. (transfer from georgia)

Brock Berlin transferred from Florida to Miami. He wasn't that great, though.

oh yeah, that's right. i knew there was more, but it's more like the exception than the rule.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby CC » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:54 am

I can think of about a billion successful transfers, most recently Brian Calhoun's transfer worked out pretty well for him.

I wonder why Portis transferred, Leak will be gone next year and he will get his shot. I suppose he was worried either Schaeffer or Tebow would move in and he would never get his shot.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:26 am

Sounds like a momma's boy who is afraid of competition. I wouldn't want him on my team.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... -headlines
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sharptongued1 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:47 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I can think of about a billion successful transfers, most recently Brian Calhoun's transfer worked out pretty well for him.

I wonder why Portis transferred, Leak will be gone next year and he will get his shot. I suppose he was worried either Schaeffer or Tebow would move in and he would never get his shot.

Yeah, I was thinking he was worried about Tebow too.
"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

Earl Nightingale
sharptongued1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:46 pm

Well, he (or his mom, who apparently controls his life) claims that it has absolutely nothing to do with Tebow. That could easily be a blatant lie, but if Tebow was the issue I dunno why he wouldn't have just waited a few days to see if Tebow actually heads to UF. I mean, he made the decision on Friday, and Tebow announces on Tuesday, so it would've only been a couple days.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby VaderFin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:37 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Well, he (or his mom, who apparently controls his life) claims that it has absolutely nothing to do with Tebow. That could easily be a blatant lie, but if Tebow was the issue I dunno why he wouldn't have just waited a few days to see if Tebow actually heads to UF. I mean, he made the decision on Friday, and Tebow announces on Tuesday, so it would've only been a couple days.

Probably feel they already know the answer.....
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bravos of Steel » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:16 pm

The Gators just wrapped up Tebow, this kid might have seen the writing on the wall.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to College Football