Minnesota's playoff run - will it hurt them in the long run? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Minnesota's playoff run - will it hurt them in the long run?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Minnesota's playoff run - will it hurt them in the long run?

Postby dave416 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:49 am

Minnesota is making an impressive push for the playoffs. However, I for one am not sold on Tice being a quality head coach. Tice probably would have been fired if they continued on their downslide that they were on early in the season. Now, he could get another or possibly a bigger contract. I could see this actually hurting them, as I don't think much of Tice as a coach.

Anyone else thinking like this? What do Minnesota's fans think of this? And is there anyone convinved that Tice is now a solid coach?

I'm interested to see what others think of about this.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby moonhead » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:01 pm

they're screwed. this makes tice look better. and they won't get a top pick in the draft now. suckers.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby MEK4178 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:33 pm

^^^^^^
sounds like someone's scare of vikes.
MEK4178
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bennett4prez » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:28 pm

Minnesota fans think Tice is a solid coach?!? ;-7

How about Teddy is an amazing DC!
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moonhead » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:03 pm

MEK4178 wrote:^^^^^^
sounds like someone's scare of vikes.

after the bears performance today....maybe :-o

but let's be realistic, the bears pwn the norris.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Nilmerf » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:50 pm

Winning never hurts a football team. Ask the Arizona Cardinals if they love getting a top pick every year.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ryanh1978 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:49 pm

Nilmerf wrote:Winning never hurts a football team. Ask the Arizona Cardinals if they love getting a top pick every year.

Arizona?? How about lets ask the lions...look at our draft picks the last 3 years and how much has it helped us???

Joey "the joke" harrington = BUST
Charles "no i dont do drugs" Rogers = BUST
Kevin Jones and Roy Williams were good picks but injury prone...
and big slow Mike Williams hasnt showed me anything this season!!!!!! Thats what draft picks get ya!!
ryanh1978
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Minnesota's playoff run - will it hurt them in the long run?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:29 pm

dave416 wrote:Minnesota is making an impressive push for the playoffs. However, I for one am not sold on Tice being a quality head coach. Tice probably would have been fired if they continued on their downslide that they were on early in the season. Now, he could get another or possibly a bigger contract. I could see this actually hurting them, as I don't think much of Tice as a coach.

Anyone else thinking like this? What do Minnesota's fans think of this? And is there anyone convinved that Tice is now a solid coach?

I think the Vikings lack of talent hurts them more than whoever the coach is. :-D
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Bunko » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:17 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
dave416 wrote:Minnesota is making an impressive push for the playoffs. However, I for one am not sold on Tice being a quality head coach. Tice probably would have been fired if they continued on their downslide that they were on early in the season. Now, he could get another or possibly a bigger contract. I could see this actually hurting them, as I don't think much of Tice as a coach.

I think the Vikings lack of talent hurts them more than whoever the coach is. :-D

I think thier talent level is what has led to them wining. They have been wining despite Tice's ineptitude, I'm glad they are doing well but I really hope Tice is gone next year regardless of if the make the palyoffs or not.
Bunko
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 pm

tice is a great positions coach and a solid assistant offensive coach. he's an (at best) mediocre head coach. he's been helped lately by playing bad teams, but if there was another coach who:

* lost one of the 10 most dangerous weapons in football over the offseason
* had his all-pro qb get injured after looking uncharactistically terrible in the first 7 games
* lost the anchor, all-pro center in the preseason
* lose one of your top rb's in an emphatically undecided rb corp
* lost the #2 wr which had been promoted to #1, early in the season
* had a change of ownership
* had serious off-the-field issues surrounding your team
* had some all-pro players on defense miss time

and still be 8-5? people would be talking about what an amazing job he's done instead of what a tragedy it is that he looks good. is it enough for tice to keep his head coaching job? i'd say it depends on his competition. if you can find a sure-fire coach to come in, take the reins, and get tice agree to be assistant OC, you do it. if you can only find some other shmuck, who's best virtue is that he's different, the vikings may have done well enough this season that tice gets another 1-year contract.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk