dave416 wrote:Minnesota is making an impressive push for the playoffs. However, I for one am not sold on Tice being a quality head coach. Tice probably would have been fired if they continued on their downslide that they were on early in the season. Now, he could get another or possibly a bigger contract. I could see this actually hurting them, as I don't think much of Tice as a coach.
Anyone else thinking like this? What do Minnesota's fans think of this? And is there anyone convinved that Tice is now a solid coach?
I'm interested to see what others think of about this.
tice is a great positions coach and a solid assistant offensive coach. he's an (at best) mediocre head coach. he's been helped lately by playing bad teams, but if there was another coach who:
* lost one of the 10 most dangerous weapons in football over the offseason
* had his all-pro qb get injured after looking uncharactistically terrible in the first 7 games
* lost the anchor, all-pro center in the preseason
* lose one of your top rb's in an emphatically undecided rb corp
* lost the #2 wr which had been promoted to #1, early in the season
* had a change of ownership
* had serious off-the-field issues surrounding your team
* had some all-pro players on defense miss time
and still be 8-5? people would be talking about what an amazing job he's done instead of what a tragedy it is that he looks good. is it enough for tice to keep his head coaching job? i'd say it depends on his competition. if you can find a sure-fire coach to come in, take the reins, and get tice agree to be assistant OC, you do it. if you can only find some other shmuck, who's best virtue is that he's different, the vikings may have done well enough this season that tice gets another 1-year contract.