Matthias wrote:tice is a great positions coach and a solid assistant offensive coach. he's an (at best) mediocre head coach. he's been helped lately by playing bad teams, but if there was another coach who:
* lost one of the 10 most dangerous weapons in football over the offseason
* had his all-pro qb get injured after looking uncharactistically terrible in the first 7 games
* lost the anchor, all-pro center in the preseason
* lose one of your top rb's in an emphatically undecided rb corp
* lost the #2 wr which had been promoted to #1, early in the season
* had a change of ownership
* had serious off-the-field issues surrounding your team
* had some all-pro players on defense miss time-
Those are all good points. Don't forget they also lost Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan.
Matthias wrote:and still be 8-5? people would be talking about what an amazing job he's done instead of what a tragedy it is that he looks good. is it enough for tice to keep his head coaching job? i'd say it depends on his competition. if you can find a sure-fire coach to come in, take the reins, and get tice agree to be assistant OC, you do it. if you can only find some other shmuck, who's best virtue is that he's different, the vikings may have done well enough this season that tice gets another 1-year contract.
This is another good point, just ditching Tice for the sake of getting someone new is stupid. I'd like to see them bring in a coach with some sort of pedigree...I'd really like Billick.