Minnesota's playoff run - will it hurt them in the long run? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Minnesota's playoff run - will it hurt them in the long run?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby drsteuss » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:49 pm

Tice is a horrible coach, and I'd like to see him get the boot. But I'd never root for the team to go into the tank just to make it happen.

Besides, if Barry Switzer can coach a Super Bowl winner...
aka Big Daddy Drew, Kissing Suzy Kolber
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MEK4178 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:18 pm

I'd be fine with tice going back as the offensive line coach, because he just isn't a head coach, and i think/hope everyone realizes that and he won't be back next year no matter what.
MEK4178
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Minnesota's playoff run - will it hurt them in the long

Postby Smee » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:20 pm

Matthias wrote:tice is a great positions coach and a solid assistant offensive coach. he's an (at best) mediocre head coach. he's been helped lately by playing bad teams, but if there was another coach who:

* lost one of the 10 most dangerous weapons in football over the offseason
* had his all-pro qb get injured after looking uncharactistically terrible in the first 7 games
* lost the anchor, all-pro center in the preseason
* lose one of your top rb's in an emphatically undecided rb corp
* lost the #2 wr which had been promoted to #1, early in the season
* had a change of ownership
* had serious off-the-field issues surrounding your team
* had some all-pro players on defense miss time-

Those are all good points. Don't forget they also lost Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan.

Matthias wrote:and still be 8-5? people would be talking about what an amazing job he's done instead of what a tragedy it is that he looks good. is it enough for tice to keep his head coaching job? i'd say it depends on his competition. if you can find a sure-fire coach to come in, take the reins, and get tice agree to be assistant OC, you do it. if you can only find some other shmuck, who's best virtue is that he's different, the vikings may have done well enough this season that tice gets another 1-year contract.

This is another good point, just ditching Tice for the sake of getting someone new is stupid. I'd like to see them bring in a coach with some sort of pedigree...I'd really like Billick.
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:17 pm

The Vikings' situation is looking a lot like what happened with the Saints last year. The Saints underperformed (as usual) early in the season then rolled off 4 straight wins to get to 8-8 and just barely miss the playoffs due to tie-breakers. Those 4 wins were enough to keep Haslett around for another year.

I don't want to say that Haslett is the problem in New Orleans because I think there are a lot of problems from the bottom to the top of the organization, but I don't really see any way we can get better with him as coach.

Sure, Tice may get them into the playoffs after such a bad start, but if you want to give him credit for turning it around, you also have to hold the poor play early in the season against him. When you look at this season's poor beginnings and the Vikings history during Tice's tenure, it's time to go in another direction.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk