McGahee is a STUD! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

McGahee is a STUD!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:03 am

Charlie24 wrote:I fully agree with you that football is a team sport and that everybody contributes to the W, but there are times when one player affects the outcome of the game. Imagine a team with Carson Palmer (16 points), LJ (22 pts), McGahee (2 pts), S Smith (18 pts), Wayne (15 pts), Heap (12 pts), Rackers (15 pts) and Chicago D (22 pts). Now lets pretend that team manages to lose by a couple of points. Using you team theory, everyone should contribute to the W, and everybody did except McGahee. Since McGahee had the lowest score he is the "dead weight" so to speak, and thus can be considered the reason you lost. You cant just go to the other players and demand more to compensate for McGahee since they did their job and had great games, unlike McGahee. It is definitely a team sport, which means every player has to take care of business, and if one player doesn't, he is clearly at fault if they get the L

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then :-D

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree. You are right in that on a team of great players (using your hypothetical team) McGahee was a huge dud. Using your example, the team loses by a couple of points (2). This means that if McGahee just had 3 more points, the team would have won.

My point is that yes, McGahee didn't pull his weight and he hurt the team, but if ANY of the other 7 players had 3 more points the team would have won. If any 3 of the 7 players had 1 more point each the team would have won. It's a team. The team lost, not McGahee. Maybe Palmer had an INT (-2) and LJ had a fumble (-2). If these 2 players didn't make these 2 mistakes the team would have won. I'm sorry but you can NEVER blame a loss on one player.

Norwood is blamed for losing Super Bowl 25. He missed a 47 yard FG by a few feet. Not exactly a gimmee. If Thurman Thomas rips off a TD run on that last drive, Buffalo would have won. If the Bills offense got a little closer on that last drive and gave Norwood a shorter attempt, maybe he makes it and the Bills would have won. If Buffalo's D stopped the Giants from scoring only 1 more time than they did, Buffalo would have won. Norwood didn't lose the game. The Buffalo Bills team lost the game.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Charlie24 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:40 am

could have, should have, would have... Like I said, I agree with you that football is a team sport and everybody contributes to get the W or L, but there are some times that one player makes the difference. Its easy to look back on games and say well maybe if he would have run it in for the score or well if he hadn't dropped that pass for the score but the fact of the matter is that it didnt happen. If we use a kicker example like you did, then what about the Seattle-giants game and Feely's 3 missed FGs? we can now say that well if tiki had scored another TD or if Eli had thrown another TD or if the D had scored on a fumble then nothing would have happened and they would have won. The standings show that the New York Giants lost the football game, but everybody knows feely cost them the game

look, I respect your opinion and you make some really good points, but I do believe that any given player can affect the outcome of the game even though it is a team game
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:01 am

Charlie24 wrote:could have, should have, would have... Like I said, I agree with you that football is a team sport and everybody contributes to get the W or L, but there are some times that one player makes the difference. Its easy to look back on games and say well maybe if he would have run it in for the score or well if he hadn't dropped that pass for the score but the fact of the matter is that it didnt happen. If we use a kicker example like you did, then what about the Seattle-giants game and Feely's 3 missed FGs? we can now say that well if tiki had scored another TD or if Eli had thrown another TD or if the D had scored on a fumble then nothing would have happened and they would have won. The standings show that the New York Giants lost the football game, but everybody knows feely cost them the game

look, I respect your opinion and you make some really good points, but I do believe that any given player can affect the outcome of the game even though it is a team game

Feely didn't lose the game for the Giants. The 53 players on the Giants roster scored less points than the 53 players on the Seahawks roster.

BTW: This is a fact, it's not my opinion.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Charlie24 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 am

the only fact is that in the standings a team gets the W or the L, but in the playing field, even though we agree its a team game, one player alone can make a difference... Feely did indeed cost his team the W since he failed to produce in the chance he was given to do his job
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:25 am

Charlie24 wrote:the only fact is that in the standings a team gets the W or the L, but in the playing field, even though we agree its a team game, one player alone can make a difference... Feely did indeed cost his team the W since he failed to produce in the chance he was given to do his job

The Giants offense had 11 false starts. Manning threw an interception. Some of the WR's dropped some passes. The Giants defense gave up 3 TD's which allowed the game to go into OT. Feely did NOT lose the game by himself.

With your logic, Josh Brown won the game all by himself. The rest of the 53 man roster had nothing to do with the win in the 60+ minutes that they played.
flotsamnjetsam

Postby drsteuss » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:34 am

Dirt Bag wrote:i told many people not to take Mcgahee with their first round pick, but nobody listened, i could have had him in a few leagues but i passed up and went with a diff RB,

he has his share of yds over the season but he doesnt get the TD's

If there's anything more annoying than McGahee's lackluster play the past two months, it's annoying know-it-alls who love to remind people that they kinda sorta predicted it.

Congrats, Nostradomus. You're a frickin' genius. Maybe even smarter than Bill Maas. Way to go.

As for McGahee, I hope he gets eaten by an alligator.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.
aka Big Daddy Drew, Kissing Suzy Kolber
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SniperShot » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:30 pm

Haha I really hope Holcomb plays this week. He gives McGahee a 75% better chance at 100 yard games without J P. Lostman at the helm.

EDIT: Right after posting this lo and behold:
News: QB J.P. Losman (shoulder) missed a second straight day of practice and will not start vs. Denver in Week 15. Veteran Kelly Holcomb will start for the Bills in his place.

Analysis: The Bills offense seemed to flow better earlier this season with Holcomb under center, but with the offensive line in as bad of shape as it's in, he's not a recommended option in Week 15.

Now McGahee is a surefire starter in my lineup, 10x better than any other option I have.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby cadet58 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:59 am

Holy Shit! McGahee actually scored 10 fantasy pts today and I had him on my bench and am starting Droughns instead. I hope it wasnt a mistake! Damn the week I finally decide not to play him.
cadet58
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting