Waiver question-----what's right? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Waiver question-----what's right?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Waiver question-----what's right?

Postby Lloyder » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:11 pm

I'm a commish for an 8 team league & I set the waiver wire to reset each week to inverse in standings (meaning team with the worse record gets first shot at a free agent on Tues). Now a guy missed the playoffs & wrote this:

"I feel there are certain things you need to change before I play next year. #1 is waivers, just about everyone in Fantasy Football uses the ranking system, which means he who adds a player off waivers goes to the bottom. Not he who sucks always get first dibs. I put in for Larry Johnson at the same time. I should of got him because I hadn't picked someone from the waivers all year, so I know I definitely would of got him. However, because your team had a worst record you got him. Well that isn't fair, in a normal league you wouldn't of made the playoffs because your team wouldn't of been good enough. Now here is why the waivers is important. When you draft at the beginning of the year, that team is going to mostly carry you all season, and if it sucks then your waiver system gets them back into things, even though the good teams are winning they are unable to pick a player if you look at it. What if their player gets hurt, their unable to pickup player if someone has a worst record. Fantasy Football is based on drafting, if you draft a shitty team then if is your fault and you have to live with it."

So w/ch waiver system works or is he just bitter?
Lloyder
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BadgerBengal » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:57 pm

Your right the wire should reset each week. He had a chance for pickups every week didnt he? If he had a chance to get someone the week before you and he didnt then its just too bad for him.
Thanks to WickedSmaat for the Grrreat sig
BadgerBengal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:55 pm

Standard Yahoo leagues do change the waiver priority instead of giving the worst team the first choice every wk. I tend to agree with the person who wrote that email as it equally distributes the chance to land a key waiver wire acquisition.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:39 pm

Giving preference to the worst team leads to more parity. Giving preference to whoever hasn't used waivers leads to more strategy. You then have to decide if player A is worth blowing your chance at a possible better player B.

Seems to me that your way would have non playoff teams scarfing up the decent waiver wire players. I prefer the strategy oriented method but I'm not a lower tier team.

Regardless, everybody knew which way it was when the season started so the only thing they can do is complain [like this guy did] and hopefully [for him] get it switched next season. Why don't you take a vote after the season and see who wants which method.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:15 pm

There's been plenty of times I missed picking up a guy cause I'm in the top 3 of my leagues because they are set to Suck Player First, so I like the idea of everyone getting an equal opportunity to pick up players off the WW based on WW activity.

That being said, as stated before, the rules are set at the beginning of the year. No use in crying about it now.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby upslogger19 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:40 pm

I cant believe I am the first to say this. How in the hell was Larry Johnson on the WW in the first place?!?!?!? He was drafted in the 6th round in both my leagues. Everyone in the league should slap themselves for not drafting him at SOME time during the draft.
upslogger19
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Lung » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:57 pm

upslogger19 wrote:I cant believe I am the first to say this. How in the hell was Larry Johnson on the WW in the first place?!?!?!? He was drafted in the 6th round in both my leagues. Everyone in the league should slap themselves for not drafting him at SOME time during the draft.

Because it was an 8-team league - they are a joke.

Larry Johnson was drafted as early as the 2nd round in my 12-team keeper league, and usually by the tenth round in all my other 10-team or 12-team re-draft leagues.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby mattb47 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:51 pm

The best way to run the waivers is to move people to the back of the list after they use their waiver priority. The emailer is right in the fact that it keeps team from doing things like picking people up for injuries and such simply because they have a better record. There is so much strategy involved with when to use your waiver priority that it should be kept in place so that it's not who is the worst gets the better waiver wire players but who is the smartest with their waiver moves.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:43 pm

maybe a little of both start the year with what you have in effect now and then week 8 make it the other way (if this is possible) or do the same thing up untill week eight reset the wavier priority and then just keep using the standdard system..i hope this makes sense (if at all possible)
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting