Strange question- Please give your opinion. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strange question- Please give your opinion.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strange question- Please give your opinion.

Postby Pork Tornado » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:46 am

The day after my league's regular season ended, an owner in my Yahoo league picked up Garrard and Moats. The problem is, his team is not in the playoffs. So now those two players who would have been available for us playoff teams are just sitting on his roster. Each player would definitely help a few teams in our league, including mine.

Any thoughts?
"It's time to eat lightning and crap thunder!"
Pork Tornado
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:49 am

If he would've helped you, why didn't you pick him up?

Let it go.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:50 am

if it's a keeper league, no issues

if it's a redraft and no rule against it, it sucks for this year, but for next year you should suggest closing waivers to all non-playoff teams after the regualr season finale
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:53 am

what do i really think? i think that you're being a crybaby.

unless there's a rule that freezes the lineups of out-of-contention teams, what he did was legit. if you (and this is really about your team, isn't it?) could have used a player then be quicker on the draw in waiver pickups.

or maybe everyone not in contention should just dump their rosters to the waiver wire because those players could also help your team?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wizzle » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:56 am

You should make it so no team can use the WW after the regular season. This will save you a lot of headaches.
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Wizzle » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:56 am

Matthias wrote:what do i really think? i think that you're being a crybaby.

unless there's a rule that freezes the lineups of out-of-contention teams, what he did was legit. if you (and this is really about your team, isn't it?) could have used a player then be quicker on the draw in waiver pickups.

or maybe everyone not in contention should just dump their rosters to the waiver wire because those players could also help your team?

Relax guy, it was a legit question. Go have some coffee or something! ;-D
Wizzle
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:05 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:if it's a keeper league, no issues

if it's a redraft and no rule against it, it sucks for this year, but for next year you should suggest closing waivers to all non-playoff teams after the regualr season finale

I agree. If it's a keeper league there is no issue; but if it's a redraft league, and this guy's season had officially concluded, then it's a shady move and you need to introduce some kind of rule next year to prevent it.

The league I'm in used to have a rule like that, i.e. that only playoff teams could make moves once the playoff weeks actually started. But it's a keeper league, so this caused problems too. Eventually we instituted a 'B-pool' system that awarded top choices of draft picks the following year to non-playoff teams that did well in a playoff-style consolation set-up. This has kept teams somewhat interested after they're eliminated, and also reduced the problem you spoke about, so it's been a good result.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Pork Tornado » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:29 am

Thanks for your responses. The one guy needs to relax a little bit though.

This really isn't about my team. Both players would sit my bench.

One team did lose last week due to having to play an awful QB that he picked up of waivers (I'm pretty sure he would've used Garrard if available). Yeah, he should have had a better backup, etc., etc. but it just strikes me that a team who is not in the playoffs should not affect the teams that are in the playoffs.

Next year, we'll put a rule in that will prevent this. Has anyone else seen this before.
Pork Tornado
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pork Tornado » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:29 am

Oh yeah, it's not a keeper league.
Pork Tornado
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:08 am

Is the guy involved in a "toilet bowl"? If so, that usually carries some monetary value along with it, and he has as much right to a player as anyone else. If it's not a money league, then WW should be closed to non-playoff teams to prevent this. If the toilet bowl carries no prize, then it should also be closed for those teams as well. Nothing you can do now, but consider getting it changed next year.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk