Strategy Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Strategy Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby umphrey » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:06 pm

It really doesn't have much of a use at all.

If he plays Matt Jones, that handcuffs absolutely nothing because odds are if Garrard thows a TD pass its going to Smith or Wilford, maybe a TE, maybe a RB, and a very small chance to his #3 reciever. Taking into account that Matt Jones hasn't done anything since Garrard was the starter, I don't see how he could catch a TD pass at all.

I don't think you understand that it works both ways as well. He is handcuffing your Matt Jones with his Garrard. So your Matt Jones can only do as good as Garrard does (because he isn't going to catch passes from anyone else), but Garrard has a plethora of options and the sky is the limit for him.

In summary, like they have already said, numerous times, start your best players.
Image
umphrey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 158
Joined: 2 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: yarr

Postby Matthias » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:09 pm

yah, except that drew bennett hasn't done diddly lately, either.

you can argue the particulars, but you can't argue against the theory. or at least, if you're going to, it doesn't work to just say, "start your best players" because that isn't taking on the argument on its merits.

now we just have to wait for beavis & butthead to chime in with their keen insights.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VaderFin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:12 pm

Matthias wrote:
Field wrote:mikebal9, don't worry about it. I think people are just getting frustrated because this forum has already covered and refuted the same exact strategy which you were describing numerous times especially recently. If you don't access the site daily you might want to try a search they can be helpful ;-D


you may intend well, field, but you're wrong.

the forum has not refuted the strategy because, well, it's right. it's a bit more complicated than, "my opponent is playing x so i should play y" but it is sound. the only refuting of it has been BH saying, "huh huh... that's lame" and vaderfin chiming in, "yah, yah... lame! lame!! fire!!!!! fire!!!! huh huh heheheheehehehe!!!!"



No, the vast majority of fantasy football players think it is a stupid waste of time. Remain in your own little fantasy world.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Postby dream_017 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:15 pm

Matthias wrote:yah, except that drew bennett hasn't done diddly lately, either.

you can argue the particulars, but you can't argue against the theory. or at least, if you're going to, it doesn't work to just say, "start your best players" because that isn't taking on the argument on its merits.

now we just have to wait for beavis & butthead to chime in with their keen insights.


I disagree with you...you have to start your best players. You are looking at Bennett and Jones. The one that scores more is better for you. 10 points for each doesn't get any fewer points for Garrard or help you any more than the other. The one that scores the most helps your team win.
Show me how Jones scoring less points than Bennett is better for his team.
Last edited by dream_017 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15305
(Past Year: 59)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Postby Matthias » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:16 pm

VaderFin wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Field wrote:mikebal9, don't worry about it. I think people are just getting frustrated because this forum has already covered and refuted the same exact strategy which you were describing numerous times especially recently. If you don't access the site daily you might want to try a search they can be helpful ;-D


you may intend well, field, but you're wrong.

the forum has not refuted the strategy because, well, it's right. it's a bit more complicated than, "my opponent is playing x so i should play y" but it is sound. the only refuting of it has been BH saying, "huh huh... that's lame" and vaderfin chiming in, "yah, yah... lame! lame!! fire!!!!! fire!!!! huh huh heheheheehehehe!!!!"



No, the vast majority of fantasy football players think it is a stupid waste of time. Remain in your own little fantasy world.


fire!!! fire!!! pull my finger!!!

thanks for the great input. i'll go back to my little "fantasy world" of "statistics" and "covariance" ... these magical, mystical, make-believe realms.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:16 pm

Matthias wrote:you can argue the particulars, but you can't argue against the theory. or at least, if you're going to, it doesn't work to just say, "start your best players" because that isn't taking on the argument on its merits.

now we just have to wait for beavis & butthead to chime in with their keen insights.


Are you actually supporting this idea, Matthias? The idea to try to "cancel out" another player by playing 1 or 2 on your team?

If you think that's a good idea, I have another idea for you. Go play Frogger on a busy highway...pretend you are Frogger.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5971
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Illadelph

Postby VaderFin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:18 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Matthias wrote:yah, except that drew bennett hasn't done diddly lately, either.

you can argue the particulars, but you can't argue against the theory. or at least, if you're going to, it doesn't work to just say, "start your best players" because that isn't taking on the argument on its merits.

now we just have to wait for beavis & butthead to chime in with their keen insights.


I disagree with you...you have to start your best players. You are looking at Bennett and Jones. The one that scores more is better for you. 10 points for each doesn't get any fewer points for Garrard or help you any more than the other. The one that scores the most helps your team win.
Show me how Jones scoring less points than Bennett is better for his team.



Don't attempt to argue with Matthias and his INDISPUTABLE strategy. It is money in the bank! ;-7
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Postby VaderFin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:19 pm

Matthias wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Field wrote:mikebal9, don't worry about it. I think people are just getting frustrated because this forum has already covered and refuted the same exact strategy which you were describing numerous times especially recently. If you don't access the site daily you might want to try a search they can be helpful ;-D


you may intend well, field, but you're wrong.

the forum has not refuted the strategy because, well, it's right. it's a bit more complicated than, "my opponent is playing x so i should play y" but it is sound. the only refuting of it has been BH saying, "huh huh... that's lame" and vaderfin chiming in, "yah, yah... lame! lame!! fire!!!!! fire!!!! huh huh heheheheehehehe!!!!"



No, the vast majority of fantasy football players think it is a stupid waste of time. Remain in your own little fantasy world.


fire!!! fire!!! pull my finger!!!

thanks for the great input. i'll go back to my little "fantasy world" of "statistics" and "covariance" ... these magical, mystical, make-believe realms.



Translation.....my fantasy football losing strategy. If you are going to play Champion for a strategy at least pick one that isn't so bad. :-t
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:40 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
Image
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

User avatar
Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10092
(Past Year: 204)
Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 4:46 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact