Etiquette Question, Borrowing Players and Trade Transactions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Etiquette Question, Borrowing Players and Trade Transactions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Etiquette Question, Borrowing Players and Trade Transactions

Postby oddsnends » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:58 pm

I am a second year fantasy football player, still green in otherwards, but happen to be this years commissioner of my work league.

I just got wind that someone (undisclosed person so far) has been asking another coach if they could borrow players and then give them back the following week.

This really pisses me off, but I spoke to the person that got asked for players and he agreed that it wasn't smart to let people borrow his players. Especially that our league is a for fun league amongst friends. But, he wouldn't tell me who was the person acquiring to borrow players.

At this time I am just going to observe my fellow coaches and see what transpires in regards to this borrowing thing.

This is the first year we used Yahoo for fantasy football (standard league, no extras purchased), so I am unfamiliar with the trade feature, so far there has been no trades. I would like to ask how does the trade feature work in that league? Does everyone get to view the trade before it goes through? And what does the commissioner see too? Lastly, what do I do if I or another coach finds and reports a borrowing players situation in the future?

Any help, information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
oddsnends
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Big no-no

Postby FadeAwayNot » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:17 pm

I believe the commissioner sees every trade and can veto.

"Borrowing players" - no way.
Easy solution, watch for such an activity to take place. Player A plays for Team A one week, Team B the next and then back to Team A for the same player exchange - there's you're collusion.

Both teams involved forfeit any game and all points for the weeks that the players were borrowed. In my league, I'm pretty sure the teams would be kicked out for good, never to return.
FadeAwayNot
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Homeless » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:19 pm

Any pending trades are shown under the "My Team" link.

Im not sure what the commish gets to see.

I wouldnt allow owners to loan,borrow or hire other peoples players.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby emaja » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:23 pm

In Yahoo, the commish gets to see all proposed trades so that he can veto or put out for a vote any trades that he sees as unfair.

Any commish with any brains would veto any kind of "borrowing" and kick both teams out of the league premanently. It is unsportsmanlike conduct.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby awwchrist » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:23 pm

borrowing players in FF is just a bad move.

actions like that would make me ban the owner and turn their team into a dummy franchise should they persist after the warning.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby oddsnends » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:49 pm

If the Commissioner sees all, where would he actually see the trade transactions? Is there a designated area that I have to go to to view the trades or will it pop up on my Overview page?

Also, I see that I could have banned a team, but that was before the season starts. Now it is not an option once the season is in session. I can lock a team, but only for certain features. I think I'd have to do a roster change on the offending coaches and then lock them out of any roster moves for that week or weeks there of. True?

Next year, if I am Commissioner again, I am going to have this written in the Commissioners notes regarding fair play, unsportsman like conduct and the reprocussions.

BTW, thanks for the advice and words of wisdom guys.
oddsnends
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bkfountain » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:10 pm

some leagues also have the other owners approve the trade if its fair. Yeah, you should lock anyone that is guilty of collusion. That way they're out of the league, but the teams are still there for other teams to play each week.
bkfountain
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:29 pm

hey i don't believe that trading players back and forth week to week is unfair as long as both teams are getting something out of the trade. Yahoo clearly states that:

"1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.

2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.

3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).

4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league. "

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/football/frules/frules-20.html

As long as the trades are fair to both teams, then they are fair trades. You as a commisioner and all other coaches get to decide if these pending trades are fair.

Friendliness: %

Postby oddsnends » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:40 pm

Yes, as long as it is to benefit both teams. But, in this case a coach wants to borrow another coaches player to benefit his team, the lending coach has no benefit from this, he was going to loan his depth on his bench. There is no two way street in this deal (hopefully there won't be a deal), only one way. That would definitely fall under collusion.

Anonymous wrote:hey i don't believe that trading players back and forth week to week is unfair as long as both teams are getting something out of the trade. Yahoo clearly states that:

3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).

As long as the trades are fair to both teams, then they are fair trades. You as a commisioner and all other coaches get to decide if these pending trades are fair.
oddsnends
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:04 pm

Do it like we do in our league. The commisioner is in charge of trades and waiver activity. Each trade and each Free Agent picked up costs the owner three dollars. All trades can be vetoed. (You couldn't trade Santana Moss for Clinton Portis).
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Football Talk