Blackjack Feedback - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Blackjack Feedback

Moderator: Football Moderators

Blackjack Feedback

Postby menyak » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:32 am

Might be a good time to gather some basic feedback on the new Fantasy Blackjack game. Did you like it? Any improvements you'd like to see for next year?

One thing I'd definitely like to achieve for next year is a general deadline of Sunday, 1 pm, so that early games don't spoil the week for everyone who submits Friday or Saturday.

But other than that? What about the general rules? :-?
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1crzydmnd » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:18 pm

I like the changes made to Blackjack this year. Last year everybody just picked kickers which was kind of boring IMO. The auto card dealer is a nice addition. You really have to think about taking that next card.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:55 pm

Totally agreed. I was a big dissenter of last year's setup...this is much more like real blackjack as the only choice you really have is to hit or stay, all the while trying to figure out whether you will bust or not. It's somewhat lucky/random to get 21, but it requires some thinking which is fun.

Getting one kicker and one random player is definitely the best starting hand because you get essentially guaranteed points with one and possible points with the other at which point you could stay or possibly "go for broke." It's kind of nice to get a kicker as your next card, but since it doesn't happen every time you have to make some choices after that.

The only possible change I would make is having the ability to switch the scoring players throughout the year in case of injury/byes/etc...that way you wouldn't have to click through a bunch of players to get one that isn't hurt or not playing.

Other than that, I think the game is going very well! Good job to all involved. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:17 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:The only possible change I would make is having the ability to switch the scoring players throughout the year in case of injury/byes/etc...that way you wouldn't have to click through a bunch of players to get one that isn't hurt or not playing.

If I can move the deadline to Sun, 1pm, I'll definitely be able to exclude players whose teams are on a bye - good thinking! ;-D

As for the injuries, actually I thought that might be a feature and not a bug. :-? I can remember calling Arlo more than once to figure out if Akers would finally be playing or not. Hell, I almost made a guest appearance in the injuries forum! :-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:26 pm

I would be a fan of getting rid of duplicates so you cant have say Peyton Manning 3 times for the same week.

And on that note maybe give something for passing TDs?
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby menyak » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:33 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:I would be a fan of getting rid of duplicates so you cant have say Peyton Manning 3 times for the same week.

Any particluar reason? What's bad about 3 Mannings? :-b
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:35 pm

I like the dupes as it does mirror normal blackjack...that was the intention of the game. Every card could bust you, so you just have to take what you get if you go for another one.

Passing TD's would also make you bust more often which is no good.

How about this - what if you made a position into an "Ace" - maybe any QB you have. If they throw a TD, you can either take a 6 or a 1 or something. Does that sound like a neat idea? :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:58 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:How about this - what if you made a position into an "Ace" - maybe any QB you have. If they throw a TD, you can either take a 6 or a 1 or something. Does that sound like a neat idea? :-?

Actually we did discuss that - downside is that it would break the rule that a point on the field is a point in the game. Anyway, to transcribe the game to one of the other sports we'd probably have to do that anyway, so who knows. :-?
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:13 pm

I think you have to be careful when deciding on the inclusion of injured players.....obviously, season-enders like Walker, Deuce, and Culpepper you could take out.....but what about when a coach *cough* Belichik *cough* says that a player isn't likely to play, but low and behold, Sunday afternoon, they're out there.....

Also, what about giving 3 points for a passing TD? Just a thought...

EDIT...one more thing, are you saying that by extending the deadline, people will be able to make picks after the Saturday games have been played? That's fine with me, as long as players that played in the Saturday games are taken out of the deck.....because I don't think it's right if you come in Sunday morning and are dealt (just an example) Tiki Barber and Jay Feely who scored 12 and 9 points the day before giving you 21....that kind of takes the risk factor out....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:29 pm

yea I dont think QBs shoudl get 6 but some number so it still keeps bust rate low but QBs have more of a impact
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Cafe Games Talk