Why does Phil Simms keep making excuses for Eli? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Why does Phil Simms keep making excuses for Eli?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why does Phil Simms keep making excuses for Eli?

Postby drsteuss » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:34 pm

I'm watching the Chiefs-Giants game now. Manning has been awful, and every time he misses the mark Simms keeps saying garbage like Manning doesn't have enough time, he wasn't able to set his feet, blah blah blah.

The kid is eating it, Simms. Quit apologizing for the little brat.
aka Big Daddy Drew, Kissing Suzy Kolber
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikus » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:47 pm

b/c he's a giants fan.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:10 pm

mikus wrote:b/c he's a giants fan.

I have to disagree. I think Phil Simms is the best color announcer in the game. He's always impartial. I find his analysis to be right on the money most of the time. I don't think the fact that Phil Simms being a Giants fan has anything to do with what you see as him making excuses for Eli. I think he calls it the way he sees it no matter who's playing. He gives much better insight than Theisman who seems to just ramble on for the whole 3 hour broadcast or Madden who is usually rambling about things that have nothing to do with the game.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Re: Why does Phil Simms keep making excuses for Eli?

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:32 pm

Eli rocks. Get used to it. :-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:18 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
mikus wrote:b/c he's a giants fan.

I have to disagree. I think Phil Simms is the best color announcer in the game. He's always impartial. I find his analysis to be right on the money most of the time. I don't think the fact that Phil Simms being a Giants fan has anything to do with what you see as him making excuses for Eli. I think he calls it the way he sees it no matter who's playing. He gives much better insight than Theisman who seems to just ramble on for the whole 3 hour broadcast or Madden who is usually rambling about things that have nothing to do with the game.

I muted the game today midway through the 1st quarter because I thought he was being biased, but I guess that's just me.
mweir145
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby mysticphysh » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:21 pm

Blah...I only watched the first 3 quarters, but both the guys were being idiots...espically Simms. Through the first 2 quarters, they were like..."OH KC is flat...they're just not in it...They don't seem to be playing with any intensity..."

I was like, the score is 10-3!!! Its not a blow out or anything!!

Then in the 3rd quarter, KC started moving the ball, and they were all like "Look at how this linemen block" "what athletic linemen" "LJ amazes me how he runs, he's such a big guy"

Blah I hate commentors like that...
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:24 pm

mysticphysh wrote:Blah...I only watched the first 3 quarters, but both the guys were being idiots...espically Simms. Through the first 2 quarters, they were like..."OH KC is flat...they're just not in it...They don't seem to be playing with any intensity..."

I was like, the score is 10-3!!! Its not a blow out or anything!!

Then in the 3rd quarter, KC started moving the ball, and they were all like "Look at how this linemen block" "what athletic linemen" "LJ amazes me how he runs, he's such a big guy"

Blah I hate commentors like that...

That's how I felt, so I muted it really early in the game, and didn't change back.
mweir145
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:36 pm

So long as the Giants keep winning, Eli will not get criticized as much. I don't think he's awful, but he most certainly needs to work on his accuracy. Too often Eli has hovered around or below 50% completions. That's just not acceptable with Burress, Shockey, and Tiki. Everything else does seem to be there.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:50 pm

Eli is putting the Giants in a position to win games or at least not lose them. For a young QB that's all you can ask for. He definitely still has games where he stinks up the joint but he's young and has shown flashes of brilliance pretty early in his career as well. It will all come together.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:30 am

Simms is making excuses because he's not really talking about Eli...he's really talking about his son, Chrispin Simms, and using Eli's name just for our sake.
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting