The Funny Picture Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Funny Picture Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The Funny Picture Thread

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:31 pm

josebach wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Setting the Christian aspect aside, religion in general is a model of guidelines for morals. This helps people frame their lives around a set of values that is generally appreciated and accepted as moral. That is why it is often assumed that a man with guidelines for morality is going to be more moral (or at least have a better reason for being moral) than a man without any reason. Does that make sense? You can suggest that you're a good person simply because you know what a good person is or should be. But how do you know this if it wasn't worked into your brain at some point. Most likely derived from religion at some point. That's why Scott Stapp is a worse person than Kid Rock. At least Kid Rock doesn't say he's something and then do something else. God despises the lukewarm.

Implying that people without religion lack a model of guidelines for morals is exactly what I'm talking about. Implying that religion is a prerequisite for having a model of guidelines for morals is just plain bad logic. If it were true, every child of an atheist or agnostic would be a bad person without any morals. Some of the most thoughtful, loving people I've met were not raised up religious. How can that be?

Some people don't need the promise of an afterlife to make the determination that lieing, cheating and stealing is wrong. People don't need the promise of an afterlife to have a conscience. For some, the promise of an afterlife and belief that they're "saved" actually gives them license to do what they want. Who cares how much bad stuff I do when i know I'll be forgiven? Continuing to act like you're superior only greatens the divide and pushes more people away from religion. Why do you think it's becoming more and more commonly acceptable to bash religion and the religious. It's not just because people are "haters". There's something to it. Christians, generally speaking, are no better or worse than anybody else. Failing to see this will only further alienate you from non-Christians. (when I say "you", I don't mean Omaha. I'm speaking generally)

I don't know the best way to articulate it, but I really believe that "love" is the key. People that have the ability to love are the ones that I believe end up making the best people. Being able to love is at the source of most of life's most selfless things. Being raised in a loving environment and being taught how to love is more influential in making someone a better person than religion could ever dream of.

I suppose you'd have to go back to the origin of morality. I don't want to beat a dead horse again, because we've been over this upteen times now, but I think you'll find that, whether for good or bad, the idea of morality started with basic religious principles. Before religion were cavemen and I don't think they took morality too seriously. Until you have something to base right and wrong off of, whether it be your parents (and where they got it) or a religious idea...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:33 pm

I love you jose. :-D

Seriously though I agree with every word you said. ;-D

Oh and that pic is cute treat...nice attempt to keep the thread on topic. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:35 pm

treat24 wrote:I have found a rare picture of Met's real girlfriend... The whole Shannon story is just a front...

Don't get Jealous Met, but IT just moved. :-)
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:38 pm

RiffRaff wrote:Don't get Jealous Met, but IT just moved. :-)

She is pretty sexy huh? :-? :-b
Metroid

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm

josebach wrote:Some people don't need the promise of an afterlife to make the determination that lieing, cheating and stealing is wrong. People don't need the promise of an afterlife to have a conscience. For some, the promise of an afterlife and belief that they're "saved" actually gives them license to do what they want. Who cares how much bad stuff I do when i know I'll be forgiven? Continuing to act like you're superior only greatens the divide and pushes more people away from religion. Why do you think it's becoming more and more commonly acceptable to bash religion and the religious. It's not just because people are "haters". There's something to it. Christians, generally speaking, are no better or worse than anybody else. Failing to see this will only further alienate you from non-Christians. (when I say "you", I don't mean Omaha. I'm speaking generally)

I don't know the best way to articulate it, but I really believe that "love" is the key. People that have the ability to love are the ones that I believe end up making the best people. Being able to love is at the source of most of life's most selfless things. Being raised in a loving environment and being taught how to love is more influential in making someone a better person than religion could ever dream of.

Jose, I'd like to point out that Joel and I are disgusted by Scott Stapp more so because he is a Christian. And you don't get that, I understand, because you don't differentiate bad people who profess to be Christians from other bad people. And I understand that. That's fine. I pretty much agree with that actually. But you've continually pointed out that you believe a great number of Christians are worse because they, as you put it "have a license to do what they want". I don't understand the double standard.

First and foremost, you have been exposed to some horrible examples of Christians, that is obvious. In regards to the alienation because we're "better" than others, this goes for all religions. There isn't a religion who can honestly say (I know Buddhists will, but come on) they do not believe they are right. You believe you're right Jose. Does that make you better than me? I believe I'm right. Does that make you better than me? Why is it a Christian is wrong for this, but everyone else is ok? I don't get it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bagobonez » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:09 pm

treat24 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
treat24 wrote:It's actually his holier than thou christian attitude... he is always right, everyone else is wrong. christianity is the only way to go, other beliefs are wrong... he is a perfect christian, his poo doesn't stink... had a diva attitude touring... he is better than everyone else, doing god's work, he's a gift to the world from god... etc etc

do some googling... you'll find some fun stories about how he is the greatest thing ever... or so he thinks...

obviously fame changed him from the man JB met...

even christians began cringing at how extreme he became about it... hence the funny pic...

That's a common perception about him, but no one can ever really back it up. At what point does he say he's better than everyone else? If anything, a portion of the lyrics from his song "With Arms Wide Open" that he wrote to his unborn son, speak the opposite.

If I had just one wish
Only one demand
I hope he's not like me
I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

What about the W.A.W.O. (With Arms Wide Open) foundation he created to promote healthy parent-child relationships?

Here are some lyrics from "Higher"

Although I would like our world to change
It helps me to appreciate
Those nights and those dreams
But, my friend, I'd sacrifice all those nights
If I could make the Earth and my dreams the same
The only difference is
To let love replace all our hate
So let's go there
Let's make our escape
Come on, let's go there
Let's ask can we stay?

His song "My Own Prison" hints that he feels maybe he's not good enough to go to heaven.

His song "One" promotes unity and doing away with discrimination.

If you knew anything about Scott Stapp other than what the media has told you, you'd know he's not Mr. Full of Himself. If anything his strict Christian upbringing has caused him to question himself and whether he's good enough or not. His lyrics convey those feelings.

Everyone wants to crucify him for getting the big head, but his band broke numerous sales records mostly because of him. It'd be a little hard not to feel proud of your accomplishments don't you think? I just don't get why people like him get criticized to the Nth degree but rap music is the most popular genre of music out there. Maybe if Stapp had sung about getting laid and drinking beer and smoking weed and committing crimes instead of racial unity and love, he'd get more people's approval. :-°

WAWO is about the only thing you mentioned that I'll take and go "ok... good job Stapp"

He's backed his image up with his actions and off stage words over the years... People can write songs about anything they want. Should we go arrest Nate Dogg and Warren G... If song lyrics are true... sounds like they killed a few people back in 1992... Two of the three songs you mentioned are off their first album undoubtedly written before he was famous, the 3rd was written about the birth of his child... bound to be sentimental. All parents wish for the absolute best for their kids, dare I say for their kids to be better than them and have a better life... Lyrics can convey anything you want.. they can say anything you want... There are stories upon stories about the crap he has done and said on tours... his actions speak louder than the crap he made up put on a lyric page and sang about... don't take his songs so literal... He's a Christian singer... of course they will have lyrics like that...

We are talking about a Christian singer with a sex tape with a bunch of teenage girls. While getting a BJ in it he proclaims "Hey...it's good to be the king." Real "questioning of himself" there. I have a link to that video if you'd like it... We're talking about a Christian singer who went ballistic on a flight during his honeymoon and wasn't allowed to fly and blew that he was too drunk to fly... We are talking about a Christian singer who was also once arrested for assault and domestic violence for throwing a bottle at his wife's head... it was later plead down to a misdemeaner.... He then had to submit to random drug and alcohol testing after released form jail because his wife said he was a drunk and drug addict (which he was throughout his career so it's not hard to believe that he hadn't stopped)... I'm not saying he's a wife beater like many have... but I've known 2 women that called the police on their husbands. Both were abused a lot and beaten many times before they finally got to the breaking point where they had to call the cops and have their husbands charged. Being that Stapp has been an alcoholic and drug addict, I don't think that lifestyle is a stretch here. Making a woman "fear for her life" as she said she did... is not cool. and those are just a few things... There are plenty of other things he's said and done that prove the common belief on him.

You made a weak argument man and you've convinced me of nothing. You can go ahead and defend the wife attacking, drunk, sex tape making, arrogant christian rocker who has had drug and alcohol problems throughout his career... go for it... you're reasoning is because his lyrics promote good things... :-t

On a side note... I hope his kid is not like him... the world needs less people like that. Hopefully he doesn't see his dad drinking, doing drugs, and attacking his wife and think that it is ok...

Ok so if Scott Stapp isn't a perfect human being he's instantly a hypocrite? If that video is true of him getting a BJ or whatever, then it's wrong, yes, but I have an audio interview of him apologizing for his behavior and admitting that it was wrong. People make mistakes. Was he a bad example at some points, yes he was, but Creed was not a Christian band. They publicly stated they are not a Christian band, in fact Scott Phillips (drummer) said he felt like they'd have to start wearing Satanic shirts during their concerts to get people to stop thinking they are a Christian band.

Does that make it ok for Stapp to act out of line? of course not. But just because Stapp has a few lyrics that hint at Christianity or whatever, everyone expects him to be Jesus Christ.

As far as the other stuff goes, the Bible says "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Christians are no better than anyone else, we're all sinners. In fact the biggest thing hurting Christianity right now is Christians themselves. The only difference is that Christians have made a choice to believe and serve God, and to live their lives for Him. Unfortunately for the majority of so-called Christians, it's all just lip service and they still pretty much live the way they want.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby josebach » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Jose, I'd like to point out that Joel and I are disgusted by Scott Stapp more so because he is a Christian. And you don't get that, I understand, because you don't differentiate bad people who profess to be Christians from other bad people. And I understand that. That's fine. I pretty much agree with that actually. But you've continually pointed out that you believe a great number of Christians are worse because they, as you put it "have a license to do what they want". I don't understand the double standard.

First and foremost, you have been exposed to some horrible examples of Christians, that is obvious. In regards to the alienation because we're "better" than others, this goes for all religions. There isn't a religion who can honestly say (I know Buddhists will, but come on) they do not believe they are right. You believe you're right Jose. Does that make you better than me? I believe I'm right. Does that make you better than me? Why is it a Christian is wrong for this, but everyone else is ok? I don't get it.

I don't think I'm better than someone just because they're a Christian. I don't believe I'm better than someone just because they're not American. I don't think I'm better than someone because they have a smaller schlong. That's the difference.

Of course all Christians aren't that way, but it seems that the more vocal ones are. Maybe my perception is wrong, but I don't think so. If the only reason you don't steal, murder or commit adultry is because it says not to in the Bible, aren't you really just imitating a good person?
Last edited by josebach on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:23 pm

josebach wrote:I don't think I'm better than someone because they have a smaller schlong.

I do....but sadly I'm only better than 5 year olds. :,-(

:-B
Metroid

Postby josebach » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Metroid wrote:
josebach wrote:I don't think I'm better than someone because they have a smaller schlong.

I do....but sadly I'm only better than 5 year olds. :,-(

:-B

Don't sell yourself short. (pun intended) I'm sure you can hang with them at least until puberty kicks in.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:35 pm

josebach wrote:I don't think I'm better than someone just because they're a Christian. I don't believe I'm better than someone just because they're not American. I don't think I'm better than someone because they have a smaller schlong. That's the difference.

Of course all Christians aren't that way, but it seems that the more vocal ones are. Maybe my perception is wrong, but I don't think so. If the only reason you don't steal, murder or commit adultry is because it says not to in the Bible, aren't you really just imitating a good person?

This isn't as simple as you're trying to make it out to be. You don't steal, commit murder, adultry, etc. for only one sole reason anymore. There are many different reasons to hold your morals close to you. One being, possibly, your religion. It's a starting point for many people. Greed is basically the focal point of all sin or immorality. You commit murder, rape, steal, whatever for selfish reasons, whether they be money, power, lust, etc. In our day and age, with everything around you, greed is basically considered ok. You can want, want, want, and you're supposed to do that. You're supposed to give in to the desires of your flesh and take, take, take what you can get. Christians are taught differently. What's not to love about that? Aside from the fact that there are quite a few very poor excuses for Christians out there that call themselves a car because they're in a garage.

Basically, when a Christian can't avoid tempations on his own he has a backup plan. Sort of. Most of us start with it because it's a way of life for us. The beginning and the end. I don't go around telling people I don't smoke crack because I'm a Christian. That's silly. I don't smoke crack because it's bad for my health. I don't cheat on my wife because it's bad for our marriage. I don't beat my kid because it's bad for my kid's health. I don't necessarily do these things because I'm a Christian. I do them because it's common sense. I think the thing we're coming up against is your inability (and I'm not trying to pick a fight here) to see the corelation between a Christian and common sense. You can live with both. Most of us do.

This is a nice picture thread discussion. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk