Which WRs do i start - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Which WRs do i start

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which WRs do i start

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:25 pm

I have JOey Galloway, Plaxico Burress, Terry Glenn, and Rod Smith, i get to start 3, which three do i start for week 1?
Matt

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Two Picks are No Brainers and the 3rd is Easy

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:49 pm

If Rod Smith isn't in a coma, start him. He's a proven top-notch receiver. Starting out with a home game, even vs the Rams, never hurts a guy's chances to perform.

Galloway goes up against Houston in his first game. HINT HINT!

The choice becomes: Glenn or Burress?

Glenn is one of the most talented WRs in the game, playing in one of the highest powered offenses. The potential drawback here is that he's new to Green Bay and basically didn't play last year.

Burress is a big, sure target who will just about guarantee you some numbers. The downside here is that he hasn't put up big WR numbers yet ... and maybe he never will. The Steelers would rather run you over with a Bus :-D than try to outgun you.

My advice: Start Glenn. He has the most potential of the two, and he's facing Atlanta, who was almost dead last vs. the pass last year. Burress, on the other hand, will be in an AFC championship rematch grind against New England. Only 3 teams allowed fewer passing TDs last year than the Pats, who have a bend-but-not-break secondary. Glenn can score a couple receiving TDs by himself. Pittsburgh will be lucky to get one for the whole game. The road team in this kind of matchup will be VERY conservative. Also, Ward's injury may allow the Pats to focus on Burress. While that may provide opportunites for other receivers, two Patriot DBs on Burress spells lights out.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Ward Out

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:58 pm

I was thinking Ward's shoulder injury and totally forgot about his appendectomy. There is no way he is going to play in a bruising game against the Patriots. Burress will have to play in a crowd. He may be tall, but the Pats corners have good leaping and timing abilities. The Steelers will have to forget about air travel and stick with the Bus :-D
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby n_tremain23 » Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:23 am

I agree,Galloway,Glenn,and Rod Smith should be your starters for Week 1.But watch out for Burress.I,personnally,think he's ready for a breakout season,him and Kordell can hook up for bombs that 5'11 corners don't stand a chance against when they're trying to get higher than a 6'5 receiver like Burress.
n_tremain23

Postby Belmont » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:20 am

Start Rod Smith every week if he is healthy. For week #1, start Smith, Galloway and Burress. Wait and see how Glenn performs in week 1 before starting him. He could prove to be a huge bust.
Belmont

Friendliness: %

Return to Football Talk