Better RB, Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Better RB, Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander

Moderator: Football Moderators

Better RB, Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander

Postby alkaline » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:07 pm

I've done the math...if Larry Johnson would have started the entire year (take the average of his last 8 games and apply that to the first 8 plus the one next week) he would have over 2200yds and 28 Tds at this end of this season.....Shaun Alexander who is good no doubt...will end up with around 1900yds and 28 or 29 TDs...now if we throw in Recieving yards...Larry Johnson would not only totally destroy Shaun Alexander but would be the league MVP...nuff said...next year...Larry Johnson will be the first pick in nearly every fantasy draft (priest pending)
alkaline
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:16 pm

But LJ could easily wear down or get hurt if he played all 16 games.

Maybe next season we'll actually be able to do a full-season comparison.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:25 pm

move it

But I do agree. We'll see a lot of people taking LJ 1st next year
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby TONYMONTANA » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:58 pm

luckily I am blessed this year with both on my team. On to the finals next week!
TONYMONTANA
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikus » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:09 pm

see that's the thing. sure, LJ has been great ... but not for a whole season. i don't see him putting up these kind of numbers next year, he does not know how to go through a whole season yet, and he takes hits that will knock him out next year, unlike SA.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:21 pm

The more important question might be this:

Who's the better OT - Willie Roaf or Walter Jones?

:-?

They are both fine RB's with great players on their O-Lines to help get them through the holes made. I really don't see either of them making people miss tackles/blast defenders a whole lot like a Sanders/Brown type of guy (especially Sanders), so I really just think of them in the same vein as guys who are good runners with good field vision who make the most of the lanes they get into. I do think Johnson is probably more of a pounding back than Alexander though, so if he starts throwing that weight around enough to break a bunch of open-field tackles, I'll give him more credit.

But seriously (and I know it's been talked to death and don't want to start more arguments), I think both of them take advantage of their line play and just run through the holes they are given which make them good running backs. So, to me they are essentially the same.

Please note that I'm not trying to say they have no ability and that they are just getting lucky. Obviously they have great physical attributes, but I believe they can use them better than other RB's in other situations.

I think the truly "great" backs are guys that can run over tackles or make defenders completely miss by their shiftiness.
Last edited by Mercer Boy on Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:59 pm

If I have the oppurtunity again next year I will gladly take Alexander. I have had him the past 2 years and could not have been happier.. He pretty much carried my team and led me to the Title! ;-D

Of course this is assuming that SA remains on Seattle next year
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mikus » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:33 pm

as for these ridiculous "if LJ had played the whole year projections", I would take any bet that LJ will not touch any of his "if he had played all 16 games in 2005" statistics in 2006.

RB order next year:
LT
S Alexander
then LJ
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Homeless » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:02 pm

SA is the better Rb no question. However next yr I wouldnt be upset if I ended up with LJ in the first round :-b

If LJ doesnt get hurt over the course of a whole season then he will probably put up bigger numbers because of the system he plays in.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:19 pm

Fantasy wise, it's pretty much a toss-up, though SA is far and away the safer pick since not only has shown that he is capable of doing it all 16 games, but in addition the guy is ultra durable and never seems to get hurt (much to the dismay of many of the guys picking up Mo Morris everytime news comes out that SA got a papercut).

Real life wise, both benefit from an incredible line and system and I haven't seen enough of LJ to form a strong opinion, but even in the few games I have seen him I've seen him just carry the pile 5-8 yards with relative consistency in just a few games, something I've rarely ever seen Alexander do in 5 years.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk