Better RB, Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Better RB, Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dynasty Deacon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:24 pm

I have a stat that should settle this =yards after contact
Dynasty Deacon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 217
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Surfing the Net for NFL News

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:17 pm

Wenchtamer wrote:1) SA
2) LT
3) LJ


More like:

1) LJ
2) LJ
3) LJ
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3185
Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:50 pm

As I have said since the beginning of the season, Shaun Alexander is the best fantasy RB in football, because of his consistency from game to game.

We do not know how good LJ will be over 16 games, but one thing about LJ is that he has been a great RB ever since his days at Penn St, when he got robbed of the heisman. I wouldn't be surprised to see him set all kinds of records next season.

My order:

1) Shaun Alexander
2) Larry Johnson
3) LaDainian Tomlinson
4) Edge James
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 6358
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fighting in the shade...

Postby The Great Gambini » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:04 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Shader wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:There's more to football than almanacs.


Maybe so, but anyone that thinks Deuce Mcallister is in the same area code as Shaun Alexander really makes me question if they've actually watched the two play? Deuce had one really good year, but other than that has done nothing. SA is more consistent, runs for a higher ypc, scores more touchdowns, is ten times more durable...I mean how can you even make an argument for Mcallister without really stretching the facts and making wild assumptions of what "could have been"? LJ vs SA, LT vs SA, these are good arguments. Deuce vs SA?? Please.

Stats aren't everything, but they aren't meaningless, either.


Talent wise - they are obviously 2 different kinds of RBs, but I do think Deuce is arguably a better RB than SA in terms of talent. The biggest thing that favors SA is the injury history.

What facts are you referring to when you say they must be stretched to make an argument? Are you referring to combine scores, scouting grades, that sort of thing, or are you referring to stats?

Also - regarding stats - what can you take from them that directly relates to talent? If a RB runs for 2000 yds, how much of that is talent, how much is his oline, his offense, his home stadium, what about his SOS? So, what exactly can you take from a players stats that you would directly attribute to his talent?

These are generally the attributes that are looked at when trying to define how talented a RB is: Speed, Acceleration, Shiftyness, Vision, Hands, Catching, Blocking, Awareness, Durability. So, if SA ran for 1800 yds and 26 TDs this yr, how fast is he? How would you grade his blocking ability? Is he shifty in small spaces?

Bottom line - how can you possibly correlate stats into talent?
Image

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3654
Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Title Town - 3 state chamionships in 5 years!

Postby Cooner » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:08 pm

the Deuce Mac/Alexander debate is a silly one. McAllister may be a slightly more talented running back, but there's only two stats that matter in this comparison:

Games Played in the last 4 years (both have been a full-time starter for at least 4 years):

Deuce - 53
Alexander - 64

Seasons without missing a start due to injury in the last 4 years:

Deuce - 1 of 4
Alexander - 4 of 4

There's really no comparison.

Similarly, I will be taking Alexander over LJ until LJ can prove he has the durability Alexander has. Sure, I MAY get burned by LJ's performance. But, as the commercials say- Knowing your first round pick will be an injury-free stud- Priceless.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 746
Joined: 2 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: da Big Apple

Postby pangbones » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:14 am

mikus wrote:see that's the thing. sure, LJ has been great ... but not for a whole season. i don't see him putting up these kind of numbers next year, he does not know how to go through a whole season yet, and he takes hits that will knock him out next year, unlike SA.


The guy has 310 carries as of right now. That is a full season's worth for most backs. If he gets 300 + carries again next year, he'll be right around 1500 yards again, and probably somewhere in the high teens is TD's, (assuming there aren't drastic changes in KC).
Image
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1178
Joined: 8 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasizing » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:10 am

Right now you have to consider SA as the number one pick for his consistency if for nothing else. The guy simply produces, week in and week out, and in the fantasy football world, that's gold, pure gold. In fact, he is probably THE most consistence fantasy football player, regardless of position.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1673
Joined: 30 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 9:44 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact