I feel sorry for everyone still playing in week 17 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I feel sorry for everyone still playing in week 17

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:57 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
VaderFin wrote:I feel sorry for you guys who don't get to play fantasy football anymore for this season. Must suck.

Doesn't suck at all. Playoffs with 5 out of 6 teams. Championship game with 4 teams. 2 wins.

I'm SO glad that I don't have to play one more game with half my players possibly sitting out in week 17. That's what sucks.

Oh yeah, my must suck comment wasn't meant as a "you suck at fantasy football" comment but a "it must suck to not play cause your league is over" comment.

I didn't take that comment the wrong way. We'll just have to agree to disagree about playing fantasy football in week 17. I think its challenging enough to build a team and then to try and decide who to start/sit every week. I think it would really suck to be playing in week 17, have half your players sit, & then lose to a team who doesn't have anyone sit. 16 weeks worth of work down the drain just because you have the best players on the best teams that end up not playing in week 17 because their games don't matter. Doesn't make any sense to me. Weeks 1-16 are challenging enough.

PS: About your "it must suck to not play cause your league is over" comment, you can obviously see that I'm glad that I'm not playing in week 17. That's why I said it doesn't suck at all.

It's called fun my friend. Unless you are playing for big money I play FF for 1 reason.....fun.

I just don't think it would be fun to build a team for 16 weeks only to have to pickup scrubs off the WW to fill in for my studs in week 17. Why should I get penalized for building the best team? Most leagues have their Super Bowl in week 16 for this exact reason so it's not just me who feels this way.

Our playoffs are 2 weeks for each game. You know this going in. Planning for the end of the season is part of the strategy. I understand not everyone likes it. I have to go 8 months without playing fantasy football...I would hate to miss even that 1 more week. ;-D

I understand and respect your opinion. Like I said before we just have to agree to disagree.

What do you mean that your playoffs are 2 weeks for each game?

Regular season is 13 weeks long. Weeks 14 and 15 are the first round of the playoffs. Weeks 16 and 17 is the Super Bowl. Whoever wins over the 2 weeks deserves it and didn't just get lucky. Works well I think. ;-D

That's interesting. Never heard of that type of playoff structure. So 4 teams make the playoffs, with each round being 2 weeks long? How many teams in the league?

I have nothing to say. I just want to keep the quotes going.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:59 pm

Haha, BH...I was just thinking wow that's a lot of quotes as I was scrolling down your post.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pablo975 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:47 pm

We play with week 17 as our championship game. It makes you work for it. Nothing worse than a league that is decided midway thru the year due to other contenders losing players to injuries, loss of starting position, etc. They end up forgetting about the league more often. But, in our league, if you make the playoff, you have shot, no matter how good the 1st place team may be. He may have studs that sit, but a cagey owner can get a few backups and sneak into contending.

Course, that's just our preferences....
Pablo975
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:06 pm

Pablo975 wrote:We play with week 17 as our championship game. It makes you work for it. Nothing worse than a league that is decided midway thru the year due to other contenders losing players to injuries, loss of starting position, etc. They end up forgetting about the league more often. But, in our league, if you make the playoff, you have shot, no matter how good the 1st place team may be. He may have studs that sit, but a cagey owner can get a few backups and sneak into contending.

Course, that's just our preferences....

I like that take on the week 17 title...most leagues consider that anyone can win a bad thing, but I agree that in some cases it keeps things interesting.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:19 pm

PBRmeASAP wrote:I'm playing in our championship this week. Our league has always been a wk 17 champ league. Having players sit is no different than injuries and byes. In fact, some of the top players were sat in week 16! Manning, Harrison, SA was sat down early, etc...

Doesn't matter what week, you need to be on top of things and deep to win in FF. If you can't handle a week 17 game, you aren't much of a fantasy player IMO.

:-t

There's a difference between not being able to handle a week 17 game and not wanting to have to deal with a week 17 game.

In week 16 the only players that sat were Indy players & SA for the last 5 minutes. This week there will be 5-10 or more teams resting healthy players. Sorry but the most important fantasy football game of the year, with lots of money on the line, shouldn't have to be played in a week where most of the players on the best teams won't even be playing.

That's the equivalent of Indy & Seattle making it to the Super Bowl this year, then benching their starters to play all their 2nd string players.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby PapaPark » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:15 pm

PBRmeASAP wrote:I'm playing in our championship this week. Our league has always been a wk 17 champ league. Having players sit is no different than injuries and byes. In fact, some of the top players were sat in week 16! Manning, Harrison, SA was sat down early, etc...

Doesn't matter what week, you need to be on top of things and deep to win in FF. If you can't handle a week 17 game, you aren't much of a fantasy player IMO.

My thoughts exactly...

Those that don't want to deal with week 17 don't belong in FF. Week 17 Superbowl just makes sure the winner is keeping up with football. The WW is an important part of FF and Week 17 Superbowls ensures it stays that way.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:20 pm

PapaPark wrote:

My thoughts exactly...

Those that don't want to deal with week 17 don't belong in FF. Week 17 Superbowl just makes sure the winner is keeping up with football. The WW is an important part of FF and Week 17 Superbowls ensures it stays that way.

I guess that's why the majority of leagues end in week 16.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PapaPark » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:44 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
PapaPark wrote:

My thoughts exactly...

I guess that's why the majority of leagues end in week 16.

This board is still pretty active.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby michaelavelli » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:26 pm

PapaPark wrote:

My thoughts exactly...

Those that don't want to deal with week 17 don't belong in FF.[b] Week 17 Superbowl just makes sure the winner is keeping up with football. The WW is an important part of FF and Week 17 Superbowls ensures it stays that way.

That's possible the most ridiculous statement I've read on this board.

The vast majority of leagues are decided in Week 16...and for good reason.

I don't buy the "anyone can win" factor being an argument for Week 17. I think that with 3 playoff games, luck is already a huge factor. Some people bitch about that, but like that luck is a big factor; I like that anyone can win.

Because luck is already a big factor, I don't think you need to expound it by having to play with players who manage to not get injured but then get benched for the final game of the season. Luck also manifests itself in injuries, and to have to avoid serious injuries on top of having players on teams that happen to have clinched a seed by Week 17 is overdoing it.

But I digress. This is not really my point.

My point is saying that "people who don't play in Week 17 don't belong in FF" is incredibly stupid. That's just as arbitary as me saying that "people who play in leagues with a flex position don't belong in FF because 'flex' isn't a real position".

Especially when, like I said, the vast majority of leagues end in Week 16. Also, to refute that by pointing out that "this thread is still going" rivals the level of stupidity the first thing you said had.

I don't like and would never play in a league with 17 weeks. I think the cons far outweigh the pros, but I would certainly not say that people who think that the cons do NOT outweight the pros "don't belong in FF".
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:41 pm

michaelavelli wrote:
PapaPark wrote:

My thoughts exactly...

Those that don't want to deal with week 17 don't belong in FF.[b] Week 17 Superbowl just makes sure the winner is keeping up with football. The WW is an important part of FF and Week 17 Superbowls ensures it stays that way.

That's possible the most ridiculous statement I've read on this board.

The vast majority of leagues are decided in Week 16...and for good reason.

I don't buy the "anyone can win" factor being an argument for Week 17. I think that with 3 playoff games, luck is already a huge factor. Some people bitch about that, but like that luck is a big factor; I like that anyone can win.

Because luck is already a big factor, I don't think you need to expound it by having to play with players who manage to not get injured but then get benched for the final game of the season. Luck also manifests itself in injuries, and to have to avoid serious injuries on top of having players on teams that happen to have clinched a seed by Week 17 is overdoing it.

But I digress. This is not really my point.

My point is saying that "people who don't play in Week 17 don't belong in FF" is incredibly stupid. That's just as arbitary as me saying that "people who play in leagues with a flex position don't belong in FF because 'flex' isn't a real position".

Especially when, like I said, the vast majority of leagues end in Week 16. Also, to refute that by pointing out that "this thread is still going" rivals the level of stupidity the first thing you said had.

I don't like and would never play in a league with 17 weeks. I think the cons far outweigh the pros, but I would certainly not say that people who think that the cons do NOT outweight the pros "don't belong in FF".

;-D ;-D ;-D

Literally couldn't have said it better myself. :-D
flotsamnjetsam

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk