Top 5/Bottom 5 Head Coaches of '05 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Top 5/Bottom 5 Head Coaches of '05

Moderator: Football Moderators

Top 5/Bottom 5 Head Coaches of '05

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:13 pm

BEST
1. Lovie Smith
2. Mike Sherman
3. Marvin Lewis
4. Tony Dungy
5. Nick Saban
(Honorable Mention: Jon Gruden)

WORST
32. Dom Capers
31. Mike Tice
30. Jeff Haslett
29. Mike Mularky
28. Mike Sherman
(Honorable Mention: Steve Mariucci)
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Top 5/Bottom 5 Head Coaches of '05

Postby VaderFin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:20 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:BEST
1. Lovie Smith
2. Mike Sherman
3. Marvin Lewis
4. Tony Dungy
5. Nick Saban

WORST
32. Dom Capers
31. Mike Tice
30. Jeff Haslett
29. Mike Mularky
28. Mike Sherman

I like how Mike Sherman is the 2nd best and the 5th worst. :-° Other then that, Saban is only going to move up the list. ;-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:23 pm

1. Lovie Smith
2. Mike Sherman
3. Marvin Lewis
4. Tony Dungy
5. Nick Saban

WORST
32. Dom Capers
31. Mike Tice
30. Jeff Haslett
29. Mike Mularky
28. Mike Sherman

Mike Sherman #2 and #28?? :-?

I would move Dungy up to number two and other that that its good. Oh and Mike Sherman would not be in my top 5 if you meant to do that.

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:24 pm

I'll assume you mean Shanahan as #2 best coach...you have Sherman listed in both. ;-)

I would stick Belichick in over Saban...that NE team was a mess halfway through the year and is now Division champ and looking very good going into the playoffs. Saban is honorable mention for sure, though. I like seeing Smith, Lewis, and Dungy in the top list.

Capers is obviously the worst...one could make a case to put Norv Turner and certainly Mariucci/Jauron in there over Sherman and yes, even Tice. Heck, I'm not even so sure Haslett is all that bad for this particular year. They went through a lot of crap with the hurricane, lost their RB, lost their stadium, got screwed on a couple of questionable calls, etc. I just don't see it all as his fault. Any time you lose one of your key pieces I really don't see you as a bad coach. But yes, in general he's not very good.

My bottom 5 would be Capers, Mariucci/Jauron, Mularkey, Turner, and then maybe Sherman.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:03 am

Best:
Belichick. The job he has done this season after losing so much of his staff is remarkable. Add a few SB titles to the mix and you have the best coach in the league.

Dungy. Shaping the Colts more in his likeness with a tough D, but what makes him a great coach is the he puts aside his ego enough to let the players play on O. Needs to win the big one to cement his legacy as a great coach.

The Chin. If the Stillers can find a way to beat the Lions Sunday, Cowher will take them to the playoffs. This in a season where his top QB missed games and his back-ups made Harrington look good. Injuries to the RBs forced a little used Parker to be the man. The Chin was the leader of a team he built in his own persona: a tough physical team that plays hard every play.

Saban. Queitly doing a great job with a team that was a mess to start the season. From an ex-doper returning to the game to a player crying at practice, St Nick has gotten the team to buy into his program.

Lovie Smith. DaBears were picked by most to finish last in the Norris, and that was before they lost their starting QB. Has done a great job in building an O-line and getting players focused for each game. Seems to out-coach the lesser coaches in his division.

Worst:
Lions coaching: $5 Millen-dollar man never seemed interested in building something good here. Mariucci proved one thing about coaching: you can build a good coach with great assistants. His assistants have had more success than Mariucci. Jauron is ill suited for a dis-illusioned team.

Capers. A disciplinarian who doesn't have a clue how to build a good team.

Mularky. Seems to be on thin ice after leading the Bills to the bottom. Team plays without focus most weeks, a tell tale sign of poor coaching.

Norv Turner. See Mularky and Capers.

Billick. Raving egomaniac who let success get the better of him. Seems more concerned about feeding his ego then taking advantage of one of the better Ds in the league. Kyle freaking Boller? Give the Raves competent QB play and they are a threat to win it all. But that would mean sharing the limelight with a player, a strict no-no for Brain Billick.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mikus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:07 am

1. Lovie Smith
2. Mike Sherman
3. Marvin Lewis
4. Tony Dungy
5. Nick Saban

WORST
32. Dom Capers
31. Mike Tice
30. Jeff Haslett
29. Mike Mularky
28. Mike Sherman

who does Jeff Haslett coach????? I did not know Jim had a brother. ;-)
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:14 am

Leave it to a Vikes fan to put Tice in the bottom five. In all honesty this guy did a heck of a job with that team to actually get them into playoff contention. Thing about all the things that went against them, and you're telling me he is in the bottom 5 of the NFL coaches. Heck, there's people considering him for coach of the year. Now, I wouldn't go that far, but show the man some love.

My #1 is Lovie Smith. I love (no pun intended) what he did with that team this year. Relying solely on defense they have been dominant. He's done everything he can with the weapons he has.

Billick is a def lock for the bottom spot for me. Before the season he said this was the most talented team he's had yet, including the Super Bowl champions. And I think he was right, it is the most talented Ravens team, and he blew it away like the awful coach he is. And it all started in training camp when he doesn't bust the players hard enough, and lets everybody slack off. Then he ran that sorry-ass offense, putting too much pressure on the defense. He has the weapons, use them. If the Ravens were playing in the beginning of the season like they are at the end, we could be talking a winning season, or better... Fire him.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:09 pm

moochman wrote:Worst:
Lions coaching: $5 Millen-dollar man never seemed interested in building something good here. Mariucci proved one thing about coaching: you can build a good coach with great assistants. His assistants have had more success than Mariucci. Jauron is ill suited for a dis-illusioned team.

Mooch - I pretty much agreed with the majority of your post, but this really took me off guard. How can you suggest the assistants are good? I mean, that is one of the biggest criticisms I have heard about from insiders - that the assistant coaches Mooch brought in are complete jokes - old school guys who are being paid because of who they know instead of their job performance. I guess I can see Jauron as a positive, but he was never one of Mooch's guys.

The assistant coaches in DET are just as much of the problem as Mooch was if not more. Thats one of the big reasons that the talk now is that Millen needs to make sure he doesnt give full autonomy to his new HC like Mooch got.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mikey » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Maybe I'm just a homer, but in my opinion Joe Gibbs has done at least as good a job coaching up the 'Skins this year as Saban has done with the Dolphins.

To bolster the argument, the 'Skins are playing meaningful games in December for the first time in 6 seasons, with a legitimate shot at the playoffs (remember, they were 6-10 last season).
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:03 pm

BEST:

1) Lovie Smith
2) Marvin Lewis
3) Jack Del Rio
4) Tom Coughlin
5) Joe Gibbs

Worst:

1) Steve Mariucci
2) Norv Turner
3) Andy Reid
4) Dom Capers
5) Herman Edwards

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk