Flannel Awards - Post your FF Heros and Zeros - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Flannel Awards - Post your FF Heros and Zeros

Moderator: Football Moderators

Well

Postby pcostales » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:04 pm

For my draft hero, I have to go with the waiver wire... I lost 10 out of my original 14 draftees to injury or complete inadequacy (thank you mr. Michael Clayton). This is a fourteen team league mind you so the waiver wire was tight... but some dink dropped Jason Witten... he replaced Eric Johnson for me... (remember him?) Got Fitzgerald through a trade for Bettis who I picked up late and traded early injury and all. That fixed the Michael Clayton problem... Picked up Jay Feely off waivers when Dave Akers ate turf... I was the idiot that bought into the NY Jets' new offense hype so Pennington and Martin were out... got Mike Anderson off waivers early then picked up Bell later and Gado latest and traded Anderson for Mcnair so I could have a reasonable quarterback and a host of RB's to get through the year.

As for my fantasy hero of the year... gotta go with Shawn Alexander, who saved my butt and got me into the superbowl this week. Him and SAMKOOOOOOON GADO! Who's name rocks and who is gonna possibly play this week SOLELY to win me the superbowl.

My lesson learned for the season? Never trust an offense (NYJ) or defense (BAL) that has recently changed its coordinator. Blocking schemes make a big difference on offense and your defense is dependent on the cunning of the play calling just as much as the abilities of its players.
pcostales
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:21 pm

Biggest draft duds- Mike Williams(DET), Tyrone Calico(TEN), Cedric Benson(CHI), Marcus Pollard(DET), Bubba Franks(GB).

Biggest draft studs- Carson Palmer(CIN), Torry Holt(STL)

Best WW pick ups(bear with me)- Larry Johnson(KC) my buddy dropped him early in the season after a crappy performance...oh and I also had Priest at the time. Anquin Boldin(ARI) another buddy dropped him when he got hurt. SCORE!!! Chris Chambers(MIA) another buddy, new to fantasy football, dropped him to fill in his bye-week.....needless to say I swooped in. Chris Cooley(WAS) picked him up early and have been starting him ever since. Samkon Gado(GB) what a score he was. Ryan Moats(PHI) got a couple good games outa him. And I spot played DEF/ST pretty much all season with the likes of Cincy, Indy, Seattle, and Baltimore as of late.

Here is the roster I started with.
QBs
Carson Palmer(CIN)
Marc Bulger(STL)
Donovan McNabb(PHI)
RBs
Larry Johnson(KC)
Brian Westbrook(PHI)
Domanick Davis(HOU)
Cedric Benson(CHI)
WRs
Torry Holt(STL)
Donald Driver(GB)
Jerry Porter(OAK)
Rod Smith(DEN)
Mike Williams(DET)
Tyrone Calico(TEN)
TE
Marcus Pollard(DET)
Bubba Franks(GB)
K
John Kasay(CAR)
DEF/ST
Baltimore
Not too bad huh?

Here is my roster as of right now.

QBs
Carson Palmer(CIN)
Josh McCown(ARI)
RBs
Larry Johnson(KC)
Domanick Davis(HOU)
Jonathon Wells(HOU)
Ryan Moats(PHI)
Domanick Rhodes(IND)
Mike Turner(SD)
WRs
Torry Holt(STL)
Chris Chambers(MIA)
Anquan Boldin(ARI)
Eddie Kennison(KC)
Jerry Porter(OAK)
TE
Chris Cooley(WAS)
K
John Kasay(CAR)
DEF/ST
Indianapolis
Baltimore

We dont have a playoff system we just go by total points as of right now I have 1291 points! Second has 1147. Needles to say I've won.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby bmault » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:07 pm

Best pick up for me: Anderson in the last round.

Biggest Gamble: w/ the 12th and 13th pick took TO and Randy Moss. Followed that w/ Gates and Caddy.

Nice surprise and Guy I want next year: Caddy

Main man two years running: Gates - the beast.

Biggest bust: JJ Arrington, K Jones
bmault
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby A Flannel Shirt » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:57 pm

Thought of a knew flannel award:

The Ha Ha Award This award is for the folks that drafted Manning for the #1-#2 pick. He did have a great year, but I've always thought that if any fool that thinks he was going to repeat that type of performance he had last year deserves an award.

In my three leagues.

League #1
Manning Drafted = 2nd Pick
Team finished = 6th

League #2 (The exception)
Manning Drafted = 2nd Pick
Team finished = 2nd

League #3
Manning Drafted = 1st Pick
Team finished = 8th

Most Valuable lesson learned Beware the WW. My first year of FF I made the most moves, and finished in 2nd and 7th. In one league, this one guy made 38 moves all season. The league average was 11.2. I made 13. The guy finished top seed, but lost to the 4th seed in the first round, then lost again to the 3rd seed for the 3rd place spot. The lesson learned: Don't overthink.
This is only my opinion, if you play the players I suggest and they do not perform well, please don't yell at me.
A Flannel Shirt
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:27 am

Drafting 1 player shouldn't make or break your fantasy team. P. Manning wasn't a bust this year. I'm sure he wasn't the reason why those 3 teams didn't do well this year. It was more likely the other 95% of their drafts, injuries, & WW moves that hurt them. I'm sure that you can find a lot of super bowl winners that drafted P. Manning #1.

I made it to the championship game (& barely lost) in one of my leagues by drafting McGahee in the 1st round & K. Jones in the 3rd. The rest of my draft was pretty good and I made a lot of great WW moves that made up for my early draft pick busts.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Sipho » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:28 pm

My best value pick was M. Anderson, in something like the 8th round. He put up consistent starting RB numbers, even with Bell around.

I thought I had a steal with Michael Clayton in the 6th. What a complete bust. I live in Chicago, so I didn't see a lot of Buc games. Did this guy have some kind of lingering injury, or does he just suck balls?

Overall, I think Jamal Lewis has to be the biggest bust. He was late first round in a lot of rankings, and I have to admit, if he was available with my tenth pick, I would have probably had to take him. Thank God someone in my league took him 8th.

I grabbed Boldin in the 5th on a hunch, and that paid off big time. 1300+ yards in 13 games, with a score about every other. This guy is fearless out of the slot and over the middle, and is the best receiver the media never talks about.
Sipho
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Going_Deep » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:39 pm

A Flannel Shirt wrote:
Most Valuable lesson learned Beware the WW. My first year of FF I made the most moves, and finished in 2nd and 7th. In one league, this one guy made 38 moves all season. The league average was 11.2. I made 13. The guy finished top seed, but lost to the 4th seed in the first round, then lost again to the 3rd seed for the 3rd place spot. The lesson learned: Don't overthink.

It's called "Paralysis by over analysis" and normally I would agree ..... but i'm in a 14 team league, made 51 waiver moves, fought and scratched my way into the playoffs as the 6th seed and i'm playing the 4th seed for the Championship. That was rough!

Biggest Draft Dud(s) = 1st Randy Moss, 2nd N. Burleson

Biggest Draft Hero = Carson Palmer

Best Draft Value = Tie between Rudi Johnson and Dominick Davis because they where on teams that used a featured back system instead of the dual back system.

Happiest Draft Pick = Drew Brees & Carson Palmer - Got them in a auto draft, both had week 10 byes, so I had to trade Brees for Plummer.

Best Pickup = Andre Johnson (heh slim pickings in a 14 team league)

Best Trade = Antwaan Randle El for T.J. Houshmandzadeh and no, I did not know how to spell those names, copy and paste FTW lol (loved those Palmer to Housh TDs and the instant 12 points)
Last edited by Going_Deep on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Going_Deep
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:07 pm

Best Pick - Larry Fitz with the last pick in the 8th (12 man league)
Worst - Pennington, first pick of the 7th
Value - Fitz, and Harrison at the beginning of the 3rd was a stud

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:57 pm

A Flannel Shirt wrote:
I was able to pick up S.Smith in the preseason after someone droped him.

The Smith move was preseason. So who knew during preseason that Smith would have a great year. The time I picked him up, I didn't know all that much about Smith.

Jordan was untested as a starter at the start of the season. He could have flopped.

If you could have known those guys would have such a great year, then could you buy me some lotto tickets?

I just find comments like that to be tasteless and just as bad as the following:

XXXXX Player didn't score well to spite your fantasy team
Wow you traded XXXX for XXXX sign me up for your league next year.

Flannel, sorry, but I somewhat agree with J2....no disrespect to you....but no team's #1 WR should be on the WW, there is absolutely no reason that would be excusable.....every teams #1 WR should be on a roster after the draft no matter how crappy the offense....just by shear amount of looks they'll get...

and Lamont should have gone a lot sooner than the 9th....I had full faith in him to put up stud numbers and drafted him in the 3rd round....

again, I mean absolutely no disrespect to you....but this was just my opinion....congrats on winning your leagues though ;-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Sipho » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:57 pm

How about a most over-hyped player award? Every year I have played FF, there is at least one player that I can guarantee someone will take way too early. This year, I noticed three:

1) Vick - there is almost always an idiot who takes this guy in the first couple of rounds. Great talent, but too inconsistent to be a top fantasy player.

2) Tatum Bell - He's fast, he wears #26, he plays in Denver . . . everything is perfectly set up for another Portis. One problem - it took Portis about 3 games to send Mike Anderson to the pine, while Bell is still sucking hind tit after two years. Still, someone in my league blew an early pick on him despite pre-season reports he was #2 on the depth chart.

3) Payton Manning - This is a tough one because Manning had a great year under any objective standard. The problem is he set the bar so high in 2004, that people were taking him early first round in 2005. When he dropped from ridiculous numbers to just very good numbers, the people who snagged Palmer or Brady in the later rounds were all smiling.
Sipho
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting