Michigan / Nebraska - Anyone up for a PBC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Michigan / Nebraska - Anyone up for a PBC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:55 am

Crap Quotient Scale? That's pretty funny. :-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Crap Quotient Scale? That's pretty funny. :-D

I know!!! I crack me up! ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:06 am

VaderFin wrote:
knapplc wrote:
VaderFin wrote:With 3 losses? WHO CARES! Enjoy mediocry with Carr in there. It isn't going to get any better. :-t

I hate to be the Grammar Police here, but it's "m-e-d-i-o-c-r-i-t-y."

Reading - still fundamental after all these years. ;-D

I think it's quite a talent to type in the Cafe and do work at the same time! Nothing worse then an internet spelling nazi! :-b

Sorry, you should have used than, because you were comparing two items. Then is used to describe something such as a sequence of events. Just messin with ya. ;-)

How badly do you think Mike Tirico (announcing this game) wanted that play to go all the way...he could've been famous.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:10 am

The Great Gambini wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
knapplc wrote:
VaderFin wrote:With 3 losses? WHO CARES! Enjoy mediocry with Carr in there. It isn't going to get any better. :-t

I hate to be the Grammar Police here, but it's "m-e-d-i-o-c-r-i-t-y."

Reading - still fundamental after all these years. ;-D

I think it's quite a talent to type in the Cafe and do work at the same time! Nothing worse then an internet spelling nazi! :-b

Sorry, you should have used than, because you were comparing two items. Then is used to describe something such as a sequence of events. Just messin with ya. ;-)

How badly do you think Mike Tirico (announcing this game) wanted that play to go all the way...he could've been famous.

The only thing worse THEN an internet spelling nazi is an internet grammEr nazi! :-B
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:40 am

Well.
I barely even know what to say. There are so many things that went with this game that my brain has had an overload. Yes, Michigan did get screwed by the refs, but the refs don't turn the ball over twice late in the game and the refs don't account for mental mistakes.

1. Manningham's dropped pass.
2. Ecker not throwing the ball back and costing Michigan a win for the second time this season due to a mental mistake (Ohio St.)

Those two really stick with me. However bad the refs were this game is all on Michigan, they looked great at times and looked horrible at times, as per the usual they got ran on all day and since Hart got hurt they haven't been consistently able to control the game running the football. For all of Michigan's talent this year, they lost 5 games. 5!

In typical Michigan '05 fashion they didn't close out a weaker opponent, you don't lose 5 games by 21 points combined for no reason, they struggle in the 4th quarter, had it not been for a tight win at Penn St. they would have been unranked all year.

Next year they return most of their impact players, except for Watson and Avant and they can both be easily replaced so this team should be making a push for the national title based on talent alone, however with Lloyd Carr at the helm they are not going to be doing that anytime soon. They reversed into the Rose Bowl last year and got dominated by USC the year, and getting outcoached by Bill Callahan is inexcusable.

I will put the bag on Monday when my Packers bag comes off and I will wear it for 2 weeks.

I hope they fire Lloyd Carr.

I cried last night.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:11 pm

knapplc wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Well I am going to guess Nebraska may not have been the only victim of bad calls throughout the season. I am sure most teams were affected at some point. I am not a Lloyd Carr fan, but I don't think he singlehanded is to blame here or the single reason Michigan lost. There were some pretty costly turnovers there too. They didn't finish 'em off with 10 minutes to go like they could have.

They put themselves in a position that a judgement call can in affect cost you the game. Being up what 2 scores with 10 minutes to go? They could have avoided this.

I do find it hard to believe that the refs screwed the Huskers out of 4 games this year though. If you can make that argument, I don't think you can make it that Michigan's woes this year were strictly on coaching. They are a completely different team without Hart. They had a number of injuries, including to their offensive line as well.

The Refs didn't screw us out of any losses this year. In years past, yes, but that's hardly an argument in this conversation. We lost to Texas Tech and we shouldn't have, we lost to Oklahoma and we shouldn't have, and we got our asses handed to us by Missouri and Kansas. None of those games were the refs' fault.

Michigan had no more injuries than Nebraska, so that's not an issue. We were without all of our starting linebackers, two of our offensive linemen and at least one of our defensive linemen. At this point in the season there are no "healthy" teams.

I said going into this game that Nebraska had a chance to win. We've played some pretty poor ball this year <cough>Kansas<cough> but we're actually a decent team. Our defensive line is pretty good, as shown in this game, and our linebackers are apparently pretty deep - our second and third-stringers showed up well last night. With the kind of pressure we can put on an offense, it's not surprising that we could stay in the game.

Think about this. If Nebraska doesn't put the ball in Michigan's hands inside the NU 30 three times in the first half, Michigan isn't in a position to choke this game away.

It's too bad the officiating and that bizarre final play have to overshadow what was a pretty decent game between two very well-matched opponents. Good game, decent teams, piss-poor officiating. That's what I'll remember about this one.

And others.....I just want to state for the record that I never said that bad officiating is the reason NU lost 4 games. I dont know how anyone can make the jump from me saying that officiating 'may have cost NU some games' to 'its the reason NU lossed 4 games'.

If memory serves, knapplc, which it may not, werent you just as critical of the officiating in the NU/OU game? No holding penalties called.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:17 pm

MeanJoe75 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:If you like mediocry, losing to your hated rival, and going to meaningless bowls...well Michigan fan, Lloyd Carr is your guy.

Last 5 years Michigan has lost 5, 3, 3, 3, and 4 games. Record vs. OSU in the last 5 years is 1-4.

Every team goes through injuries. 18 losses in 5 years isn't due to injuries. If I was a Michigan fan I would be calling for Carr's head! :-/

You seem to forget that Michigan went to the Rose Bowl twice and won the Big Ten twice.

This is why I have a problem with Mich fans, assumming you are one. 3-5 losses per season, but you want Mich to be looked at as an elite program because they can say they won a conference? West Virginia won the Big East this season. Are they now elite?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:19 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:And others.....I just want to state for the record that I never said that bad officiating is the reason NU lost 4 games. I dont know how anyone can make the jump from me saying that officiating 'may have cost NU some games' to 'its the reason NU lossed 4 games'.

If memory serves, knapplc, which it may not, werent you just as critical of the officiating in the NU/OU game? No holding penalties called.

I believe you are correct. I think this has been one of the worst years for officiating across the board. The Alamo Bowl was the worst game I've seen all year, but most every game I've watched, Nebraska's or others', has been bad. One thing replay is doing (IMO) is it's making the officials delay calls or flat-out not make calls that they would have in the past. This is an NCAA problem and it's an ongoing NFL problem.

But specifically about the NU/OU game, yes I believe I was highly critical of the lack of holding calls against OU. How a team can lead the nation in sacks yet have less than two holding penalties per game called against their opponents is beyond me.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:35 pm

Mike Tice should be available next year, CC. :-)
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby CC » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:48 pm

Flockers wrote:Mike Tice should be available next year, CC. :-)

Ugh.
Give Al Borges the job.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football