How early should L. Johnson be taken in the draft next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How early should L. Johnson be taken in the draft next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby PACKman1144 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:00 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:It's not even worth debating right now. Everyone already knows all the what if's that none of us here can answer. Yeah, LJ SHOULD get the start and SHOULD be solid, but you just don't know. So why waste time?

Because that's what makes this fun...we don't know yet.

I think Priest will come back. He seems set on it. But I think the Chiefs might try to unload him. There is no way that they can start him over LJ after what LJ has done for them. The Chiefs are relying on Johnson to carry them through games, he's that good with the ball. LJ will be a top 3 fantasy selection next year simply because he is too good for the Chiefs use him as a split carry back IMO.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:24 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:hes a top 3 pick either way. with priest or not. I dont think priest can finish a whole year. I rode on LJ's back this 2nd half of the season. Id put SA 1st next year, w/ LT2 at 2nd. LJ 3rd

That's what I was thinking. Priest is going to turn into a Marshall Faulk.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Lung » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:48 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:So what if Priest does retire? What if Vermeil, Roaf, and Sheilds retire with him?

I look at it this way: Larry Johnson is third in the NFL for rushing with 1549 yards and TDs with 18, despite starting only 8 games this year. Even if Roaf and Shields retire and Johnson only puts up 60% to 70% of these stats next year (a conservative estimate) that's still well over 1000 yards and 10 TDs.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:14 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
DelhommesFan1 wrote:hes a top 3 pick either way. with priest or not. I dont think priest can finish a whole year. I rode on LJ's back this 2nd half of the season. Id put SA 1st next year, w/ LT2 at 2nd. LJ 3rd

That's what I was thinking. Priest is going to turn into a Marshall Faulk.

How do you make him a top 3 pick if he's competing with Priest, who most likely would get at least some TDs?

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:27 pm

For some reason they want that RB tandem back again.....one series preist, another larry....etc

Chiefs | Peterson would like Holmes to return to share the load with L. Johnson
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:42:32 -0800

Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs general manager/president Carl Peterson said Thursday, Dec. 22, that he hopes RB Priest Holmes will return in 2006, even after RB Larry Johnson's record-breaking season, even after the grumblings that the two-back rotation can't work in Kansas City. Peterson said Holmes is "doing much better clinically." Holmes will have more tests in about 60 days, Peterson said, and will make a decision on his future sometime after that. Peterson said Johnson has proven he can handle the load, but also that his blocking needs to improve. "But believe me, I want that (Priest-Larry) problem in 2006. I want it, very, very much. Because all I know is this — it will make us a better football team," said Peterson.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:42 pm

The Lung wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:So what if Priest does retire? What if Vermeil, Roaf, and Sheilds retire with him?

I look at it this way: Larry Johnson is third in the NFL for rushing with 1549 yards and TDs with 18, despite starting only 8 games this year. Even if Roaf and Shields retire and Johnson only puts up 60% to 70% of these stats next year (a conservative estimate) that's still well over 1000 yards and 10 TDs.

The argument about situation vs talent rages on - I guess I still rely heavily on looking at the situation more than the player - probably more than most.

Also - is 1000+ and 10 still worth a top 3 pick?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby biju » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:56 pm

I see Priest coming back and making a serious problem for LJ owners. I think they'll continue to split up the series the way they did before, but with LJ taking 2/3 of the drives and Priest taking 1/3.

That becomes a problem because Priest has a much better chance of remaining healthy for an entire year. LJ's 3rd overall pick is only worthy if he gets all of the carries, not 2/3rds.

On top of that, I have a feeling some of the line is going to retire (Roaf) or just get bumped due to age. At that point, Vermeil will also jump ship. If he goes, I see a number of changes happening in KC, including the departure of Trent Green as no coach who has long-term plans would want to waste a season on a short-term QB.

It could be a really tough year for Larry Johnson.

Then again, if everyone comes back except for Priest, watch out!
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:04 pm

biju wrote:I think they'll continue to split up the series the way they did before, but with LJ taking 2/3 of the drives and Priest taking 1/3.

That becomes a problem because Priest has a much better chance of remaining healthy for an entire year.

Very good point.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:11 pm

I'll say this, I took LJ with the 3rd pick in a dynasty draft....I'm hoping he's the man in KC next year with or without Priest coming back.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby henryhormann » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:39 am

LJ is the kind of runningback I'm happy to roll the dice on. Did it this year, won the championship.

Regardless of his situation next year (split backfield, o-line, coach, etc.), the dude can run. Also he's great at breaking tackles & making people miss, so that's something else to consider when factoring in the supposedly dramatic drop-off in O-line play.
henryhormann
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk