Opinions please... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Opinions please...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opinions please...

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:49 pm

I'm curious what the rest of the College Football world thinks about the Alamo bowl game. Did Michigan get screwed? Should Nebraska have been penalized? What do you guys think happened?

I'm asking because I've read several articles now that seem to focus on Nebraska's culpability in that final play, ignoring the fact that Michigan had players & coaches on the field, too.

Does Nebraska get a black eye for this play, does nobody get one, or is everyone mostly focusing on the horrid job of the refs? Is this a "legitimate" win for Nebraska?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:51 pm

Legit win. End of story.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 pm

Both teams should have gotten flagged for coming onto the field. A game still ends if there are offsetting penalties.

Therefore, even if flags would have been thrown, chances are the outcome would be the same.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:11 pm

I agree with Vader. The calls are certainly worthy of debate, but you cant take this win away from the Huskers. Mich was ranked and an 11-11.5 favorite in this game. According to most of the cfb world, NU didnt even belong on the same field as Mich. If that was the case, this game should have been over long before. ESPN and Mich focussed on the last 5 min of the game where yes, Mich got hosed on some calls. (Frankly, I'm not convinced Henne didnt fumble that ball.) But taking the whole game into perspective, imo Mich got hosed at 60%-40% clip as compared to NU. Rest easy, knapplc. Nebraska earned and deserved this win. Screw what ESPN or other fans think about it.
Last edited by HskrPwr13 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:13 pm

Didn't see the game but from what you said both teams had players on the field during the final play. Treat it like a algebra problem and cancel both out.

Legit win. Now the Bush pushing Leinart in should have been called and is illegal.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:17 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Didn't see the game but from what you said both teams had players on the field during the final play. Treat it like a algebra problem and cancel both out.

Legit win. Now the Bush pushing Leinart in should have been called and is illegal.
amen :) Notre Dame should be against #1 Texas right now
BaseballFann0008
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:22 pm

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I usually don't give much creedance to what ESPN, et al say, but it irks me to read what appears to be backhanded comments from them and other news sources which seem to intimate that the Huskers somehow didn't earn this win.

I think a lot of what has been written is really angst that Michigan DIDN'T complete that play - had they run it in for a TD, the game would have lived on in the history of college football for decades. As it turned out, I doubt it will get much press beyond, say, the end of next season (during Michigan's and Nebraska's bowl games).
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:35 pm

Plenty of bad calls or non calls, but NEBs win was legit. Nuff said.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby jayday » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:42 pm

Nebraska earned that win, pretty much sealed it with the 2 late turnovers....

BUT....had Tyler Ecker used a half a brain and pitched it to Steve Breaston, who would have scored, then there really would be a can of worms because Nebraska folks would've been calling for flags just like Michigan fans are now....Not implying that Husker or Wolverine fans are whiners, it's just natural to be bias towards your team....

The refs didn't have control, and that's inexcusable....

Bottom Line, there needs to be a rule put in place that clearly defines players/coaches/fans/media getting onto the field at the end of games....possibly replay of down, or maybe go to OT if the game is tied....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby VaderFin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:51 pm

They need to not allow Sun Belt refs to be involved in games with the big boys.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football