fantasy playoff league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

fantasy playoff league

Moderator: Football Moderators

fantasy playoff league

Postby vitalogist » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:45 pm

any tips / pointers on setup or strategy for ours that is gonna draft on monday? never done one before. all i know is that it's gonna be total points, not head to head. i assume we'll stick with our usual scoring system we use during the reg season, but what about starting lineups.... here's what we regularly roll with:

qb
rb
rb/wr
wr
wr
te
k
d

any suggestions?
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:29 pm

Are you drafting for a league that is for the NFL Playoffs or for a league that is going to run next year?

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vitalogist » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:10 pm

nfl playoffs
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Arlo » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:03 pm

First off, nothing wrong with using those positions as your starting lineup. (Not sure whether that was part of the question... :-) )

As far as strategy goes, it depends a lot on whether you also get to draft a bench, make waiver pickups between games, and so on. In most formats, you're stuck with the players you draft, so the key is obviously to project the way the playoff games will turn out as accurately as possible. (Yeah Arlo, tell me something I didn't know... :-b )

Anyway, there are two main schools of thought about draft strategy. Many drafters will try to project each available player's point totals and draft based on positional scarcity (which can shift a bit in playoff formats - waiting until round 7 to draft a QB might not be such a great idea), the same as in a regular-season league. The other common plan is to pick up as many players as you can from one team and hope to ride that team to the title. That's risky, particularly since you probably can't pick a team like the Colts where several players might be off the board before you even have a chance to call out a name, but it can be brilliant if it works.

Of course there are also lots of hybrids, like picking up a QB-WR combo that you think can go deep into the playoffs and drafting the rest of your roster by scarcity. One thing to be careful about in your format is the RBs. If you have a large amount of drafters and some will be taking two RBs, the position might dry up quickly...

Good luck, and have a blast! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby vitalogist » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:52 pm

thanks buddy - yea, no waivers, and no bench, so its pretty much a roll of the dice... im pretty jacked for it, actually. i'm sure that'll be our starters.... thanks again...
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk