With Wells out, who's this Morency guy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

With Wells out, who's this Morency guy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:25 pm

He's pretty good, he was a borderline 1st rounder but he ran a bad 40. He has the skills to play in the NFL and is an upgrade over Jonathon Wells. I would say he is a good start.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Slingblade » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:15 pm

I really like the kid. Could post some sweet numbers on Sunday.

Week 17 Injury Status and Other News

He was listed as probable on Friday's official injury report.

[Fri Dec 30, 7:42 PM] Vernand Morency practiced on Friday and will start for the team this weekend since Jonathan Wells has been placed on the injured reserve list.

[Thu Dec 29, 5:33 PM] Vernand Morency missed Thursday’s practice due to illness.

Week 17 Matchup Info

at San Francisco 49ers (Good matchup) - Domanick Davis hasn't been able to play for the last 2 weeks due to his injured knee (now out for the year on IR), so Jonathan Wells has had an opportunity to strut his stuff for personnel evaluator Dan Reeves, gaining 51/176/2 rushing and 4/44/0 receiving during the last 3 weeks, to rank 19th among all fantasy RBs in points per game. Last week, against the stubborn Jacksonville defensive front, he piled up 21/86/0 rushing and 3/33/0 receiving - he's running very strongly in relief of Davis. Wells has a nagging thigh bruise that may limit him this week, too.

The San Francisco defense has been sub-par in this phase for most of the year, allowing an average of 116.3 rushing yards per game (21st in the NFL) with 18 rushing scores handed over to date. Over the past 3 weeks, they've paced 121 rushing yards allowed per game, including last week's totals of 21/44/1 for St. Louis. Even with an abnormally good showing last week, the 49ers poor 3 week average highlights a struggling defensive front.

The Texans have injury woes that may slow their attack, while the 49ers are just plain woeful most of the time - this is a good matchup for the Texans if they can get a back healthy.

Game Summaries

Week 16 vs JAX - Morency’s did not seeing much playing time with Jonathan Wells having a solid performance rushing the ball. He was limited to just four carries for 12 yards on the ground. Morency added a reception for 14 yards on Houston’s last possession of the game.

Week 15 vs ARI - Morency’s contribution came early in the game, when the rookie RB took a handoff 25 yards for a score. He finished with 32 yards on five carries, and caught one pass for nine yards for the game.

Week 10 at IND - Morency was used throughout the game, both rushing and receiving. He took a complete series gaining nine yards on first and second down, then stopped for no gain on third down. Morency was lined up as the running back on fourth and one, but a false start forced the Texans to punt. Morency seemed much more comfortable in the passing game than Wells.

Week 9 at JAX - Morency had one significant rushing attempt but was not much of a factor otherwise.

Week 6 at SEA - Morency’s catch of an attempted screen pass was ruled a lateral. His other carry came on a fake punt where he gained 12 yards for a first down.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chuckles » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:17 am

I'm starting him tomorrow...let's pray for a good day!!! ;-D
Chuckles
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:49 pm

Is Morency a better option than a guy like LaBrandon Toefield (RB-Jac)? Or will he be solid?

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk