05 looked great, 06 looks bleak? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

05 looked great, 06 looks bleak?

Moderator: Football Moderators

05 looked great, 06 looks bleak?

Postby SeaWolf » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:29 pm

This was from the local newpaper columnist.

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/05/12/ ... ear001.cfm

Five things that defined the Seattle Seahawks in 2005:
1) The Big Three return Within a three-week period, the Seahawks retained left tackle Walter Jones, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and running back Shaun Alexander for the 2005 season. Those three would help carry an offense that leads the NFL in yards per game.
2) Tim who? The high-profile search for a team president lands on some guy named Tim Ruskell, who then goes out and signs a bunch of mid-level free agents like Bryce Fisher, Joe Jurevicius and Chartric Darby. Turns out the guy might know what he’s doing, after all.
3) Draft-day coup A few fans groaned when the Seahawks gave up three draft picks to move up nine spots in the second round of the April draft and take an undersized middle linebacker. But USC product Lofa Tatupu has emerged as just the kind of player Seattle’s defense needed to get to the next level.
4) End of the curse On Oct. 9, the Seahawks did something they failed to do three times during the 2004 season: they actually beat the Rams. That curse-breaking victory set off a 10-game winning streak that helped give Seattle the best record in the NFC.
5) Nothing more from Feely When New York Giants kicker Jay Feely missed three potential game-winning field goals in a Nov. 27 game with Seattle, it solidified the Seahawks as the team to beat in the NFC. It also showed that Seattle might be a team of destiny.

Five things that could define the Seahawks in 2006:
1) A Super Sunday? The date is Feb. 6, but you probably already know that. As the top seed in the NFC, the Seahawks are two home playoff victories from heading to Detroit for their first Super Bowl appearance ever. Sad to say, but anything else might be a bit of a disappointment.
2) A not-so-super March After the Houston Texans offer Shaun Alexander $50 million and a chance to move back to the Deep South, the Seahawks’ star running back takes his NFL-record 28 touchdowns and gallops away. Something about the Maurice Morris Era just doesn’t feel right.
3) Draft-day blunder Bored with the lowest first-round pick in team history, Seahawks executives actually fall asleep on draft day and nearly miss their turn. Struggling to recover, Seattle goes for the first name that comes to mind. Casey Paus goes to training camp fifth on the Seahawks’ depth chart, even behind emergency fill-in Peter Warrick.
4) Summer of discontent Fueled by the disappointment of their Super Bowl loss to Indianapolis, the Seahawks vow to work harder than ever before. But their workouts keep getting interrupted by reporters from national magazines and the film crew for Matt Hasselbeck’s new reality show, “The Baldest Quarterback.”
5) Big Show canceled After ongoing negotiations on an extension fail to get him under another contract, coach Mike Holmgren opts to finish out the 2006 season and pursue a coach/GM job elsewhere. Only after the Detroit Lions offer him that title does Holmgren call Paul Allen and plead to come back. “Even if I have to be coach Zorn’s offensive assistant,” Holmgren whines.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby vitalogist » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:12 am

who honestly gives a crap about what some second-rate, wannabe beat writer for the freakin everett herald has to say? if this guy's so smart, why would the texans keep DD AND sign Shaun, when they're obviously going to draft reggie bush? thats just humorous to me...
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:05 am

I think it's built into the brain of Seattle fans that we're already supposed to be concerned with the detriments of the future.

I almost bought into it. Then I remembered that this year isn't NEARLY over with.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:50 pm

Wow, whoever wrote this sure need to pull their head out of their arse...

"A not-so-super March After the Houston Texans offer Shaun Alexander $50 million"

uhhhh yea, they already have Dom Davis, who is a top 10 RB and they have first shot at Busch??? why would they need Alexander.

Also they said Holmgren will leave.....ya i'm sure Holmgren will leave after 6-7 years of rebuilding this team and he finally has turned them around after all that work......it's like a car builder spending 6 years to build a custom new hot-rod and once he finishes it, decides to not drive it and just leave it in the garage.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Return to Seattle Seahawks