Dick Vermeil to retire at season's end - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dick Vermeil to retire at season's end

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dick Vermeil to retire at season's end

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:54 am

Source: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13526445.htm

Chiefs coach Vermeil to retire after season
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Dick Vermeil told his players and staff in a tearful message Saturday night that he will retire as the Chiefs’ head coach at the end of the season.

That means today’s game against Cincinnati could be his last.

Lynn Stiles, the Chiefs’ vice president for football operations, told The Star that Vermeil informed the players at a previously scheduled team meeting at an Overland Park hotel. Speculation has been thick all week that Vermeil would retire after today’s game, but he closely guarded his plans until Saturday night.

The Chiefs could reach the playoffs by beating the Bengals at Arrowhead Stadium and having the Detroit Lions beat the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Stiles was in the meeting Saturday. He said Vermeil appeared at peace with his decision.

“I know so,” Stiles said. “It’s not a think.

“He referred to (the fact) ‘I did not want the highs and lows of winning and losing to determine what I do.’ It’s the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it’s the right thing to do for the organization.”

Vermeil declined an interview request, preferring to spend what could be his final night as a head coach with players, staff, family and friends.

Stiles described the meeting as emotional. Vermeil develops closer relationships with his players than most coaches. He remains friends with players he coached several years ago.

“Every man in that room I guarantee will not forget what just happened,” said a red-eyed Stiles. “Each man in his own right has a relationship with Dick Vermeil, and I dare say most of them can’t look back and say they’ve had this kind of relationship. I guarantee they haven’t had it in the National Football League.”

Replacement candidates could include New York Jets coach Herman Edwards, Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders, Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.

The 69-year-old Vermeil coached the Chiefs for five seasons and will take a 43-36 regular-season record into his final game. The Chiefs won the AFC West championship in 2003, but lost their playoff game to the Indianapolis Colts at Arrowhead Stadium. That was the only time Vermeil guided the Chiefs into the playoffs.

Vermeil’s Chiefs were among the elite offensive teams of their era. With an offense led by Saunders, the Chiefs were usually among the league leaders in points and yardage and consistently stocked the AFC’s Pro Bowl team with stars like halfbacks Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, tight end Tony Gonzalez and offensive linemen Willie Roaf, Will Shields and Brian Waters.

But the Chiefs were able to make the playoffs only the one time because of a deficient defense. After the defense underperformed in 2002, pressure mounted on Vermeil to fire the defensive coordinator, Greg Robinson.

Vermeil, ever loyal to his assistants, stayed with Robinson in 2003. The Chiefs won their first nine games, but lost four of their next eight, including the playoffs, after their defense collapsed.

Vermeil accepted Robinson’s resignation after the season and brought in an old hero, Gunther Cunningham, to coach their defense the following year. But Cunningham, who guided many of the great Chiefs defenses of the 1990s, was unable to make any difference.

The Chiefs were again woeful on defense in 2004 and, despite high expectations entering the season, finished a disappointing 7-9.

This season, the Chiefs were at one time 8-4, but December losses in Dallas and New York left them relying on the help of others to make the playoffs.

Should put an interesting spin on LJ's draft status next year.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:10 am

I think this could even effect Priests decision too on if he wanted to come back or not. But then again, most people are drafting LJ with the thought that he wasn't going to be coming back anyways.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Bowie » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:20 am

KC should bring in Mike Martz (not because it would be good for the team, just for symmetry).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby converge241 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:02 am

i love how dick was denying this non stop after the rumors came out the past 2 weeks or so
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VaderFin » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:11 am

I am shocked that he cried.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:30 am

I'm surprised he did this with KC still having a shot to make playoffs. I wouldn't want to put focus on anything but winning on Sunday. :-?
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:55 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm surprised he did this with KC still having a shot to make playoffs. I wouldn't want to put focus on anything but winning on Sunday. :-?

The Chiefs need the Lions to beat the Stillers today in order to go to the playoffs. So they are out of the playoff chase.

FF takes a big blow with this announcement. One thing you had to love about Vermeil was that he loved to feed the RB in the red zone. And that is FF money.

Good luck Dick Vermiel, and remember there is an opening for a coach in Detroit. You know, should you suddenly become senile.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:59 am

moochman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm surprised he did this with KC still having a shot to make playoffs. I wouldn't want to put focus on anything but winning on Sunday. :-?

The Chiefs need the Lions to beat the Stillers today in order to go to the playoffs. So they are out of the playoff chase.

Yeah I forgot about that. !+) :-b
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Watching the Jets game today, the announcers mentioned that Herm Edwards could be a top candidate for the KC job...
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CC » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:49 pm

I've heard a lot about Herm going to KC over the second half of the season, looks like it could be a possibility.

LJ - stock down
Tony G/Trent Green/Eddie Kennison - stock up
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk