Did you know... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Did you know...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:16 pm

VaderFin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:Answer:

Nebraska's 32-28 win over Michigan in Wednesday's Alamo Bowl was the most-watched college football game in ESPN history, with a 5.41 rating.

The mark, which translates into 4.88 million households and 7.8 million viewers, exceeds ESPN's most-watched regular-season college football game - a Florida State vs. Miami matchup with 4.49 million households and 7.17 million viewers on Oct. 8, 1994. The previously most-watched ESPN bowl game was the 1998 Holiday Bowl between Nebraska and Arizona with 4.56 million households and 7.29 million viewers.

Wow thats alot of folks!

I'd be willing to bet my left testicle that the Rose Bowl will surpass that mark.

Too bad the Rose Bowl isn't on ESPN. :-b

This post just proves Cowboys crazy idea that no one cares about any bowls that aren't a BCS game! 8-o ;-7

I didn't even know that game was on and was shocked at the post the next day. I don't think everyone doesn't care about a non BCS bowl game just the majority of the people and its obvious with the money the BCS bowls offer vs a crapliday bowl or Sun "wish I were a real" Bowl.

By the way how many spots should UCLA go up for not only stopping a qb from breaking a record but winning the sun bowl with backup running backs? NONE. They should drop 10 because they were in a Sucky bowl against a mediocre team.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I didn't even know that game was on and was shocked at the post the next day. I don't think everyone doesn't care about a non BCS bowl game just the majority of the people and its obvious with the money the BCS bowls offer vs a crapliday bowl or Sun "wish I were a real" Bowl.

As is evidenced by the fact that a non-BCS bowl got ESPN's best ratings for a college football ever. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhttt.....

Sorry man, but just because you have this freakishly diluted view that only 4 games are important all year doesn't mean that the other 99.999999999999% of college football fans have the same view, because they very obviously don't.

And give the heck up on UCLA man. They had their chance, and they lost by frigging 40 points to a 3-8 team, and then lost by 40 points again a few weeks later.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:07 pm

OK guys this is supposed to be a "did you know thread?"

Did you know that Oregons Aaron Gipson lead the nation in interceptions this year with 7?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:41 am

Nebraska's 32-28 win over Michigan in Wednesday's Alamo Bowl was the most-watched college football game in ESPN history, with a 5.41 rating.

The mark, which translates into 4.88 million households and 7.8 million viewers, exceeds ESPN's most-watched regular-season college football game - a Florida State vs. Miami matchup with 4.49 million households and 7.17 million viewers on Oct. 8, 1994. The previously most-watched ESPN bowl game was the 1998 Holiday Bowl between Nebraska and Arizona with 4.56 million households and 7.29 million viewers.

Did you know that poker gets better ratings on ESPN than a meaningless bowl game that was the most-watched college football game in ESPN history?
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:08 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:

Did you know that poker gets better ratings on ESPN than a meaningless bowl game that was the most-watched college football game in ESPN history?

As reported from SI.com on Dec 28, 2004:
The 22-episode run of ESPN's World Series of Poker averaged a 1.7 rating, a 42 percent increase from 2003 when ESPN aired just seven episodes. Add that to the Travel Channel's World Poker Tour, Fox Sports Net's Poker Superstars Invitational Tournament, and Bravo's (The B in Bravo here is for B-level) Celebrity Poker Showdown.

And as reported in 2005 by TV Week:
Travel Channel's "World Poker Tour" was down 17 percent in total viewers watching first-run episodes during its 2005 season, compared with 2004, according to Nielsen Media Research. ESPN's "World Series of Poker" is down 14 percent season to date. CNBC's "Heads Up Poker" tournament is down 18 percent. And among the three iterations of GSN's own "Poker Royale" series, most are similarly down.

Ok, let us take the 1.7 rating that poker received in 2004. Then let us decrease that by 14%. Now is that more than the 5.41 rating that the Nebraska/Michigan game received? I don't think so. Do your research next time please.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:22 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:I didn't even know that game was on and was shocked at the post the next day. I don't think everyone doesn't care about a non BCS bowl game just the majority of the people and its obvious with the money the BCS bowls offer vs a crapliday bowl or Sun "wish I were a real" Bowl.

As is evidenced by the fact that a non-BCS bowl got ESPN's best ratings for a college football ever. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhttt.....

Sorry man, but just because you have this freakishly diluted view that only 4 games are important all year doesn't mean that the other 99.999999999999% of college football fans have the same view, because they very obviously don't.

And give the heck up on UCLA man. They had their chance, and they lost by frigging 40 points to a 3-8 team, and then lost by 40 points again a few weeks later.

Thats only because they don't air the BCS games which would decimate those ratings. I stand by my statement which was the majority of the people don't care about the non BCS bowls. There is a reason friend why some bowls can offer 2 million and others offer 15 million. Ratings and sponsers.

I'm not saying all fans are the same as me. Re read my post. I said most don't watch the non BCS games. We have more illegals in Ca than people that watched that game. If I were on the east coast I'd probably have a different outlook on CFB. But with the east coast bias its tougher to get into.

UCLA lost only 2 games this year one being against the #1 team in CFB. The other they were hurt but no excuses they got a crappy bowl like they deserved. I don't think UCLA is an Elite team. I said that jokingly. I also said I'd rather them come out of the Sun bowl without injury than win while losing a future star. The Sun Bowl means nothing. I thought Oregon was a great team who got snubbed. I felt they would have matched up well with Oh St. But they got let down and underperformed in the crapliday bowl to a lesser team. It happens when one team has nothing to play for and the other thinks the bowl is lesser. See GT game, Wisconsin game.

I think UCLA should remain where they are if not drop due to crappy bowl and mediocre team. They easily won but NW showed heart late in the game. I also have no clue whatsoever who should be in the top 25 because of the way CFB is set up. Leaves me with 100's of questions. If Oregon crushed Stanford but Ohio St had trouble with them does that mean U of O would beat Ohio St? Of coarse not but they might have had they played. Just like noone thought Stanford would make a game of it and almost knock Ohio st out of the BCS. Its all about matchups.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:33 pm

Did you know that UCLA beat USC all throughout the 90's?

But since that point they have been beaten every year including last years game which was 1000x better than the title game which ended up being a joke where 3rd stringers got to play for USC. "Thank you" 3rd string USC linebacker said. I wouldn't have played had the title game been against a UCLA or Auburn. :-D
Cowboys 4 life

Postby CC » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:33 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Did you know that UCLA beat USC all throughout the 90's?

But since that point they have been beaten every year including last years game which was 1000x better than the title game which ended up being a joke where 3rd stringers got to play for USC. "Thank you" 3rd string USC linebacker said. I wouldn't have played had the title game been against a UCLA or Auburn. :-D

OK we get it, UCLA hung with USC last year and Oklahoma didn't. In all honesty though, last years Oklahoma team would destroy last years UCLA team.

I don't know if you are trying to toot UCLA's horn or something, but Oklahoma was undefeated and had a legitimate reason to be in the game. I thought Auburn should've been there but that is a different arguement all together.

Just because one team hangs with or beats another does not mean it affects any other games. Michigan St. beat Notre Dame and Notre Dame almost beat USC, does that mean Michigan St. could beat or almost beat USC? No. It means they match up well with Notre Dame, played the game of their lives, or caught Notre Dame on an off day.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:03 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Did you know that UCLA beat USC all throughout the 90's?

OK we get it, UCLA hung with USC last year and Oklahoma didn't. In all honesty though, last years Oklahoma team would destroy last years UCLA team.

I don't know if you are trying to toot UCLA's horn or something, but Oklahoma was undefeated and had a legitimate reason to be in the game. I thought Auburn should've been there but that is a different arguement all together.

Just because one team hangs with or beats another does not mean it affects any other games. Michigan St. beat Notre Dame and Notre Dame almost beat USC, does that mean Michigan St. could beat or almost beat USC? No. It means they match up well with Notre Dame, played the game of their lives, or caught Notre Dame on an off day.

Excellent post CC. Its all about matchups as Cowboy has elluded to himself.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Previous

Return to College Football