Outback Bowl Florida vs. Iowa - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Outback Bowl Florida vs. Iowa

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:01 pm

Well, I disagree to an extent. The running into the kicker definitely looked like he did hit him to me, and the unnecessary roughness was for helmet to helmet, which you could clearly see actually did happen on the first replay angle, but at the time the announcers thought it was for a late hit and weren't looking for that, then when they heard it was for helmet to helmet they showed two terrible replay angles where you couldn't see whether his helmet hit him or not, and never showed the first angle again. I do think helmet to helmet is a terrible rule, but as it is a rule it did happen there.

The other call they kept bringing up was the offensive facemask on Iowa that looked like it was on UF, though the announcers did make note there that the camera was only on them for a second so they have no idea if the Iowa guy did have a major facemask after the camera went off of him or not. From Solomon's reaction, I would say there's a pretty good chance that he did retalliate in some way that lead to the penalty, because he didn't make any notion of arguing the call in the slightest, and I would think that if you got called for a major facemask when your hands never came up above your hips you would at least throw your hands up and say "what the hell?".

The offsides on the onside kick was a bogus call. It was close, but no way you should throw a flag there. If they zoomed in and analyzed it all, maybe the guy was an inch offsides but c'mon, definitely a bad call there.

Iowa got a few calls as well that of course don't get mentioned though because they lost the game. There was one drive where they were stopped a full yard short of a first down and somehow got a spot that gave them the first down. The announcers made mention that the spot was off but at least a yard and a half and should've been nowhere near a first down, and Iowa did end up scoring on that drive.

I'm not gonna say that UF didn't get the better end of some questionable/bad calls in the game, but it's not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be.

All in all I can see how they want to have referees from conferences that aren't represented by the teams in the game doing the officiating, but they need to keep it amongst the major conferences or something. This is the second big game where a mid-major conferences referees have just clearly been out of their league and made some very questionable calls/non-calls at key moments.
Last edited by Free Bagel on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:09 pm

I just wanted to note quickly that those announcers were by far the worst crew handling any bowl game this year.

All I need to do is give one quick thing that they said early in the game. The color guy, whatever his name was, was talking about how Florida has a +18 turnover margin and how they're #3 in the nation in that category, when all of a sudden, the play-by-play guy just screams into the mic "LARGE!" The guy didn't say, "that's large" or "that's huge" or even "that's a huge statistic", he just screamed "LARGE!" into the mic. We were all dying laughing at my place.

One other thing, did anyone else see Chris Rix's coverage of the Cotton Bowl on the sidelines? I thought he did a phenomanal job. ;-D
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:52 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:I just wanted to note quickly that those announcers were by far the worst crew handling any bowl game this year.

All I need to do is give one quick thing that they said early in the game. The color guy, whatever his name was, was talking about how Florida has a +18 turnover margin and how they're #3 in the nation in that category, when all of a sudden, the play-by-play guy just screams into the mic "LARGE!" The guy didn't say, "that's large" or "that's huge" or even "that's a huge statistic", he just screamed "LARGE!" into the mic. We were all dying laughing at my place.

One other thing, did anyone else see Chris Rix's coverage of the Cotton Bowl on the sidelines? I thought he did a phenomanal job. ;-D
chris rix on the sidelines? aw man im sorry i missed that...what was he doing?!?!?
BaseballFann0008
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Great Gambini » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Chris Rix was the third man of the FOX crew, playing the role of Suzy Kolber.

But in all seriousness, he did do a pretty good job. All I saw was the inteview he did after the half with Bama coach Mike Shula, but he sounded pretty intelligent...quite an achievement for an FSU guy. ;-)

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:35 pm

Free Bagel wrote:The running into the kicker definitely looked like he did hit him to me, and the unnecessary roughness was for helmet to helmet, which you could clearly see actually did happen on the first replay angle, but at the time the announcers thought it was for a late hit and weren't looking for that, then when they heard it was for helmet to helmet they showed two terrible replay angles where you couldn't see whether his helmet hit him or not, and never showed the first angle again. I do think helmet to helmet is a terrible rule, but as it is a rule it did happen there.

On the running into the kicker, Wilbur's plant foot went into the Iowa guy, causing him to trip. Not sure exactly what the rule was, but it was clearly incidental contact at best. Mostly just a good acting job.
The helmet-to-helmet, from the two angles I saw, was just simply not there. The Iowa DE was already diving to tackle Leak as Leak slid, and it looked like he simply wrapped him up and again, the helmet contact was incidental at best.

Free Bagel wrote:Iowa got a few calls as well that of course don't get mentioned though because they lost the game. There was one drive where they were stopped a full yard short of a first down and somehow got a spot that gave them the first down. The announcers made mention that the spot was off but at least a yard and a half and should've been nowhere near a first down, and Iowa did end up scoring on that drive.

Florida got the same benefit of a ridiculous spot. I believe it was the first drive of the third quarter, but our RB was clearly stopped shy and the officials marked it about a yard and a half in front of where it should have been, giving the Gators first down around midfield.

Free Bagel wrote:All in all I can see how they want to have referees from conferences that aren't represented by the teams in the game doing the officiating, but they need to keep it amongst the major conferences or something. This is the second big game where a mid-major conferences referees have just clearly been out of their league and made some very questionable calls/non-calls at key moments.

I really couldn't agree more. I was thinking the same thing after the Neb-Mich Alamo Bowl when I believe Sun Belt officials handled the game. Those guys weren't even experienced with any form of replay, for example - a big deal which turned out to be huge in that ballgame. I think there's a reason why some of these officials are in the small conferences. Big Ten, Big XII, SEC, ACC and Pac-10 officials should really be the only ones doing bowl games - especially on New Year's Day.

The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Great Gambini » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:36 pm

EDIT - The day after New Year's day...the typical New Year's Day games.

The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:10 pm

Overall it was a pretty good game...surprised Iowa even came back to make it a game. I was pretty sure it was over after Leak hit Baker for his 2nd TD to make it 31-7.

I agree with Bagel about getting Refs from the major conferences for the bowl games. Twice now teams who should have had chances to win their game weren't given that chance because of the refs. There were defenitely questionable calls both ways but you'd be hard pressed to find a fan from any team who watched the game to say Iowa didn't get the worst end of the deal.

Oh and I should add that Florida's fake punt was probably one of the gutsiest calls I can remember.
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:30 pm

On the running into the kicker, Wilbur's plant foot went into the Iowa guy, causing him to trip. Not sure exactly what the rule was, but it was clearly incidental contact at best. Mostly just a good acting job.

The guy clearly dove and rolled into Wilbur's leg. Did he hit him hard? No. Was it incidental? Probably. That however, is pretty much the definition of running into the kicker.

The helmet-to-helmet, from the two angles I saw, was just simply not there. The Iowa DE was already diving to tackle Leak as Leak slid, and it looked like he simply wrapped him up and again, the helmet contact was incidental at best.

Like I said, from the second two angles you couldn't see it because the LB's body was blocking the view. From the first angle, it was clear they knocked helmets, even if it wasn't very hard. Most overlooked it at the time because when they showed that replay the announcers were still saying the flag was for a late hit, not helmet to helmet. It's a dumb rule yes, but he did hit him w/ his helmet.

Florida got the same benefit of a ridiculous spot. I believe it was the first drive of the third quarter, but our RB was clearly stopped shy and the officials marked it about a yard and a half in front of where it should have been, giving the Gators first down around midfield.

I knew this was going to come up. I was pissed when I was watching and the announcers were talking about it. Yes, they gave UF a bad spot, but it didn't really matter because the true spot was past the first down marker anyway. They spotted the ball on the 40, no way he got close to that, he did however get to the 39 and a quarter yard line easily, and the 1st down marker was right on the 39 yard line. The announcers tried to say he was down at the 38 and a half, which is where his feet were when his progress was stopped, but the ball was clearly well out in front of him and easily beyond the marker.

The spot that Iowa got was also about a yard's worth of distance, but the true spot and spot where the ball was spotted were on opposite sides of the 1st down marker. When UF got a good spot, the spot left them a full yard ahead of the 1st down marker. Iowa got at least an extra yard on their spot, and they still had to bring out the chains.

Again, Iowa definitely got the bad end of the bad calls, especially with the onside kick, but a lot of the calls people were complaining about weren't really that bad of calls, just ones that could've gone either way and didn't go Iowa's way.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:23 pm

better keep an eye on rix, he might try to sneak in an throw a bomb...
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ironman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:41 am

So I wonder how much that ref got paid by UF? :-?

:-t

The punter call - Ticky tacky garbage call. :-t
The head-to-head contact - Iwebema's arm hit him first - another ticky tacky garbage call :-t
Onside kick - obviously this guy didn't want Iowa to have any chance. :-t

BS officiating :-t :-t :-t
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to College Football