Outback Bowl Florida vs. Iowa - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Outback Bowl Florida vs. Iowa

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:32 pm

Ok, so we can all agree that there was shotty officiating for this game. Now I wanted to know everybody's opinion about announcers and how they comment on in. I typically think that it's in bad taste and just is something that is not done. If you watch an NFL game, an analyst might say there was a bad call once or twice in the game, but they typically go back to it after a commercial or something and say that the call was right anyways.

So what does everybody think? I personally can't stand it when announcers say "Oh, that's a bad call, etc etc"
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:49 pm

I think it depends on how its announced. If its clearly a bad call, and especially if it has dire consequences to the outcome of the game, then absolutely the announcers should be all over it. If its questionable in the sense that one couldnt conclusively tell one way or the other which way it should have been, then the announcer can give his/her opinion but shouldnt bark all game about it. If the call is right or it the announcer just plain didnt like the rule that forced the official to throw a flag, then he/she can comment about the rule, but certainly cant fault the officials and should blame the offending player for not taking the correct action based on the rules.

Unfortunately, in a lot of situations, sportscasters give their opinions on things that dont merit an opinion. If they would just call the game and leave their attitudes at the door, they would come off a lot brighter and a lot less biased. Apparantly not enough complaints about this to merit any action taken by tv stations.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:53 pm

I liked that Spielman was showing some emotion for the game. Personally, I think most sports-casters are morons anyways, so if anything, I'd like to be entertained...no one really impresses me all that much, with a few exceptions. I like Musburger, Nessler's okay, Keith Jackson is the classic. Verne Lundquist is pretty good, too.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:07 pm

I think, when times justify, it's the accouncers' job to get emotional and/or call out the refs. Obviously, the onside kick call was illegitimate for two reasons; 1) It was such a critical time in the game and 2) It never happened. So, in situations such as that, the accouncer has a duty to remain unbiased and to treat the situation justly, and not to sugarcoat it. The referees and the media aren't on the same "team", there's no reason why the sportscasters should ever feel obligated to be kind to the refs when they make such a horrendous call.

Would you rather the color commentator have said, "Well, it doesn't appear that anyone was offsides on that onside kick, but our camera angle may not be the best. Plus, being a referee is a tough job. Everyone makes mistakes."?

And plus, it is quite entertaining to hear Spielman go off.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:02 pm

I love Keith Jackson...but the only time we get him on the east coast is the USC - Cal game, OSU - Mich, and the Rose Bowl/National Championship

Keith is classic. ;-D
BaseballFann0008
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:42 pm

VHawk15 wrote:The referees and the media aren't on the same "team", there's no reason why the sportscasters should ever feel obligated to be kind to the refs when they make such a horrendous call.

Agreed. The media doesn't seem to have a problem ragging on certain players and coaches, so a ref who clearly botches a crucial call shouldn't get a pardon, either.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to College Football