Sherman Fired - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sherman Fired

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby PACKman1144 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:58 pm

...and another one gone, and another one gone...another one bites the dust!

Good year to be a coach loking for a head coaching job ;-D
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:01 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:Ron Rivera is so overrated. Just because the Bears have good players on defense doesn't mean the defensive coordinator should be a head coach. Remember in 2001 when the Bears went 13-3, Greg Blache was the DC at the time and everyone was saying what a great head coach he'd be? No dice.

There is no comparison between the Bears 2001 defense and their present one. There is also no comparison between Rivera and Blache. Ideally I'd like to see Rivera get a couple more years of assistant coach experience but if the Packers can get him now I'd go for it.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:41 pm

converge241 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Wow.
Jim Johnson would be a solid replacement.
I did not see this one coming with all the injuries we had this year.

they are interested in the philly OC AND DC?

I havent heard of them going any Jim Johnson guessing he was just saying he is a good coach
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CC » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:45 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:
converge241 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Wow.
Jim Johnson would be a solid replacement.
I did not see this one coming with all the injuries we had this year.

they are interested in the philly OC AND DC?

I havent heard of them going any Jim Johnson guessing he was just saying he is a good coach

Thats what I was getting at, I like how aggressive he is, although we are solid for defensive coaching with Bates.

Childress would be a nice replacement. If the Packers could nab Ferentz or Stoops I would be pleased as well.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fool42 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:46 pm

I'd like to see Bates get the gig. If the Pack don't promote him another team will surely offer him a head coaching job. From what I've heard he has a second year on his contract as D cord but if he was offered a higher postion by another team he could leave. I say he is exactly the type of guy you want to keep in the org. I would act fast and give him the job by the end of the week. Also shows the team some loyalty in what could be a very tough season for Packer free agents. A lot of longtime Packers could be on there way out via FA.
Winning isn't everything...It's the only thing!

Vince Lombardi
Fool42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:55 pm

I was a little surprised, but not shocked. When they gave him the extension this July I figured that he might be around for a while, but the Packers went 4-12, injuries or not, something needed to happen. I think Sherman's time in Green Bay was getting to a close. With Thompson as the GM I think this is the right move, I konw we will get someone that should do very good. Bates was the best move offseason, they showed a stat during the Packers-Seahawks game that the Packers are #1 in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game. Last year we were just awful. This does, however, lessen the chances that Favre will return for the 2006 season. Thompson is going to start interviewing candidates this week, so we should have a good idea who will be coaching in the near future.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:15 pm

Coming into the year, who would've thought Lovie Smith would be the only coach in the NFC North with a job for 2006?

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:18 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:Coming into the year, who would've thought Lovie Smith would be the only coach in the NFC North with a job for 2006?

I figured Tice was out for sure, even before the season. But with all the talks on how good the Lions were going to be, I wouldn't have expected Mooch gone.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:31 pm

i doubt farve comes back....too much rebuilding going on
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TTTBone » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:22 pm

Put me solidly in the Bates for Head Coach corner.
Despite a -24 turnover ratio (mostly due to the way high, league leading, 45 offensive turnovers) his cast of yung-uns performed well beyond expectations.
Give him the position now, or see him run out of GBay for a HC position next year... if not sooner.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk