Best sports venue? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Best sports venue?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:20 pm

I really don't like the B-word, but I'd have to vote for Wrigley. The world's largest outdoor sports bar/meat market! Old Soldier Field was a very ominous place as well. Walking near those columns just made you feel the strength the place was supposed to represent.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:40 pm

I won a trip to Chicago in the early 90's to see Michael Jordan & the Bulls play in the old Chicago Stadium. I had heard stories about how loud that building was and I got to experience it 1st hand. The Bulls were losing the entire game but they came back to pull ahead in the 4th quarter. The place erupted. The reason this stadium got so loud was in the way it was built. The stands went straight up. I've never been in a stadium where the seats were at that much of an angle. The acoustics caused by this is what made it so loud. The noise had no where to go.

The Bulls lost to Barkley & the Suns that night, but the Bulls beat them in the Finals that year.

I've been to a lot of stadiums and that was definitely the loudest. I'm glad I got to go there before they turned it into a parking lot for the new stadium. I think that happened the following year because the new stadium was being built when I was there.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:12 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:I won a trip to Chicago in the early 90's to see Michael Jordan & the Bulls play in the old Chicago Stadium. I had heard stories about how loud that building was and I got to experience it 1st hand. The Bulls were losing the entire game but they came back to pull ahead in the 4th quarter. The place erupted. The reason this stadium got so loud was in the way it was built. The stands went straight up. I've never been in a stadium where the seats were at that much of an angle. The acoustics caused by this is what made it so loud. The noise had no where to go.

The Bulls lost to Barkley & the Suns that night, but the Bulls beat them in the Finals that year.

I've been to a lot of stadiums and that was definitely the loudest. I'm glad I got to go there before they turned it into a parking lot for the new stadium. I think that happened the following year because the new stadium was being built when I was there.

You lucky SOB! Getting to see Jordan and Barkley on the floor at the same time...awsome!
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Any sports fan that doesn't say Wrigley Field
is probably a terrorist looking to overthrow Truth, Justice and the American Way.
Probably hates his Mom and apple pie as well.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:05 pm

ScreamingWeasel wrote:Any sports fan that doesn't say Wrigley Field
is probably a terrorist looking to overthrow Truth, Justice and the American Way.
Concur! ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:10 pm

Haha...if you've ever been to Wrigley, you'd agree. Nothing beats it, especially when the Cubs win.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:26 am

Metroid wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:I won a trip to Chicago in the early 90's to see Michael Jordan & the Bulls play in the old Chicago Stadium. I had heard stories about how loud that building was and I got to experience it 1st hand. The Bulls were losing the entire game but they came back to pull ahead in the 4th quarter. The place erupted. The reason this stadium got so loud was in the way it was built. The stands went straight up. I've never been in a stadium where the seats were at that much of an angle. The acoustics caused by this is what made it so loud. The noise had no where to go.

You lucky SOB! Getting to see Jordan and Barkley on the floor at the same time...awsome!

Tell me about it! I won a trivia contest on WFAN Sports Radio in NY. 5 daily winners M-F, then they picked the grand prize winner at the end of Fridays show. It was awesome to see Jordan play before he retired (the 1st time) in the old Chicago Stadium. Barkley was just a bonus and the fact that those 2 teams met in the finals that year made it even more special. Jordan scored 44 and the Bulls still lost. Unbelievable trip. The game, the Sears Tower, Gibson's Steak House, Soldier Field. It was awesome.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:20 am

The Great Gambini wrote:

Haha...if you've ever been to Wrigley, you'd agree. Nothing beats it, especially when the Cubs win.

Like I said you lucky SOB!!! :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:31 pm

ehhhh it's just not the same now that lights have been installed. :-o

I'm really too much of a homer to add anything other than the obvious local parks, such as FedEx Field Home of the Washington Redskins, though having only 1 set of escalalators for 92,000 people is really absurd. RFK was amazing back when the Skins played there you literally would bouce in the stands.
Camden Yards home of the Orioles is a really nice stadium.

I wish I could've seen old soldier field I bet that place was amazing and 3 rivers stadium.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:30 pm

hands down Wrigley Field!!!
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk