Scott Wright's Updated Mock Draft (as of 1/3/06) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Scott Wright's Updated Mock Draft (as of 1/3/06)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:11 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:I would have thought that the Penn State linebacker would be a hot commodity... cant pronounce or spell his name....

Ya, I don't know how to spell his name either but he could be a major steal if he falls far enough
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:24 pm

J2thez929 wrote:I find it a little ironic that Leinart passed up the Golden ticket to SF and will now find himself with a team that is unfortuanely in major disarry. Sad thing for New Orleans is that I can see him pulling an Eli Manning...

I don't see Leinart (or anyone) trying that with New Orleans at this point, and here is my reasoning. The players were unhappy with a lot of things this season, mostly the travel (homegames in three different stadiums, in three different states), facilities (workouts in high school weight rooms and practices in parking lots), and neglect from the league front office (Tagliabue did not meet with players until week 17).

None of these issues should be a problem next year. Travel - According to Tags, they will be playing all of their home games in Louisiana (either Superdome or in Baton Rouge, which is only an hour drive from New Orleans). Facilities - Their recently built practice facility in New Orleans is in perfect condition after being used as a headquarters for emergency officials during Katrina. Neglect - Tags has met with the players now and tried to address some of their concerns, and while it should have happened sooner, it shouldn't be an issue for next season.

As far as other issues surrounding whether or not a player would want to play here, there is a housing shortage right now. This probably won't be an issue because money talks, and Leinart's multi-million dollar signing bonus should be able to secure adequate lodgings (and for anyone famililar with the city, the Northshore is fine from what I have heard and seen, which is where a lot of the Saints players live anyways). The other issues have to do with organizational problems, and of the other teams that might be interested in QBs (DET, OAK, ARI, MIA, NYJ, and BAL), each have questions regarding the direction of the franchise (MIA looks good, but I think they may have overachieved in Saban's first year and could take a step back in 2006, especially if they have a rookie starting at QB).

Anyway, don't want to jack the thread, but I have seen a lot of people saying that Leinart may pull an Eli on New Orleans, but no one has really gone through the relevant issues.

*EDIT to fix problem with quotation
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby CC » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:35 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:I would have thought that the Penn State linebacker would be a hot commodity... cant pronounce or spell his name....

Wright said he didn't factor Posluzny into his mock draft.
I love this guy and he is the reason I like the NFL Draft so much, he always does a great job.

Seems to be steadfast in Thomas Howard to the Colts though, I was not that impressed when I saw Howard this year.

I'm going to do my early Mock Draft in the next few weeks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:44 pm

If the Jets pick Vince Young I will boo so loudly that they will hear me up there in New York all the way from Iowa.
Red Stripe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Constructing a titanium shoulder for Chad Pennington

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:46 pm

I think I might be the only one who actually likes Vince Young :-o
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:53 pm

I dont know if someone has posted this before but under the rumor mill at http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com there saying the Saints have no interest in Leinhart.

Contrary to widespread speculation word is the New York Jets have very little, if any, interest in either Matt Leinart or Philip Rivers. Also, the team feels they have so many needs (OL, RB, QB, TE, DT, etc.) that they might be best served by trading down in the draft and accumulating picks, even if they had a shot at a guy like Reggie Bush

It's just a rumor but everything is a rumor this early.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:04 pm

ljthockey wrote:I dont know if someone has posted this before but under the rumor mill at http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com there saying the Saints have no interest in Leinhart.

Contrary to widespread speculation word is the New York Jets have very little, if any, interest in either Matt Leinart or Philip Rivers. Also, the team feels they have so many needs (OL, RB, QB, TE, DT, etc.) that they might be best served by trading down in the draft and accumulating picks, even if they had a shot at a guy like Reggie Bush

Was there some other evidence that the Saints had no interest in Leinart or did you just mistype?

Not trying to nitpick, just want to know what's going on with the Saints :-D
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby VaderFin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:08 pm

onnestabe wrote:
ljthockey wrote:I dont know if someone has posted this before but under the rumor mill at http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com there saying the Saints have no interest in Leinhart.

Was there some other evidence that the Saints had no interest in Leinart or did you just mistype?

Not trying to nitpick, just want to know what's going on with the Saints :-D

That has to be about the Jets. Everything I have heard has the Saints giddy for Leinart.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:09 pm

Yeah typo and I misread it wow.....my mistake :-/
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby daullaz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:46 pm

Wright is awesome for mock drafts and analysis. I did a top-twenty mock last night, and when I woke up this morning, I saw that Wright and I agreed on a lot of players and team needs. I might be getting better at this!

Oh, and for the record, I like Vince Young too.

I don't see a lot of teams with a need at RB, and I think it's conceivable that Maroney could slide down to the Colts. With James possibly out the door, I think that would be a great fit, better than Howard at least.

Tamba Hali has been playing his tail off, and with a good combine, I think he might surpass Kiwi as the #2 DE on the board, maybe sqeaking into the top-ten.

The Jay Cutler hype will result in him getting picked in the first half of the first round. I have him going to Baltimore at 13, but I could see Detroit or Arizona selecting him also. Of course, if none of those teams want him, Miami will jump at Cutler.

I don't see the Eagles taking Greenway, and I think he falls to Minnesota. No fault of his own, but a lot of teams have greater needs than at linebacker. Philly has to pick a WR, unless they plan on throwing Owens-like money at Reggie Wayne (provided he doesn't go back to Indy). The Eagles would be remiss to pass on Santonio Holmes.

Oh, and I'm one of the few that say Houston should pass on Bush if for some reason they don't trade the pick away. I think the Jets trade up for Bush, Tennessee snags Ferguson (like Wright said), and the Texans end up with Mario Williams. Vince Young, if he declares, goes to the Raiders in my opinion.

I agree with most of the rest of his top 20. LenDale White to Pittsburgh would be a perfect fit. I think the Bolts take DeMeco Ryans to replace Godfrey instead of S Landry.

Just a few thoughts for now.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk