The Orange Bowl: (3) Penn State vs. (22) FSU - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

The Orange Bowl: (3) Penn State vs. (22) FSU

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:37 pm

I didn't know about that screen pass rule. What's the logic behind that, if you don't mind me asking? Like, what makes it legal?

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:45 pm

Well, I think the idea was another one of those protect the QB rules. The idea is that usually there aren't WRs going out, and the O-line is letting everyone through so if one guy goes and covers the RB the QB essentially has no choice but to get demolished by 5 linemen running free.

However, now that I think of it that could be one of those rules that exists in the NFL and not college, as college football is noticeably behind on those kind of rules.

In college you can still advance a fumble with under 2 minutes left (see Nebraska/Michigan this year), a fumble out of bounds still stops the clock with under 2 minutes left (see USC/ND this year -- in the NFL the clock would have run out in that game), and there is still no 10 second runoff for a pre-snap penalty with under a minute left when the clock is running (see Ohio State a few years ago, who ran up and spiked a ball with 1 second left even though 3 of their O-linemen were still 10 yards upfield running to the LoS, took the 5 yard penalty and kicked a FG, whereas in the NFL they would've run off 10 seconds which would have run time out).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:53 pm

Oh boy...PSU LB #31 Plodz. is out with a knee. Really gotta feel for a kid like that playing his heart out trying to get a BCS win for his school.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:07 am

HOLY SHEET!!! What a game! I feel sorry for all you east coasters who had to stay up till nearly two in the morning to watch the finish. The Rose Bowl might have a tough time topping this one.

Congratz Joepa!
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby mikus » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:09 am

man, i feel bad for cismasia (sp?), even though i hate FSU. but it's good for that freshman kicker (kelley) for Penn State. what a game, everyone who stayed up to watch it got a real treat. might be better than tonight's game ...
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:28 am

Sorry to see my 'Noles lose - damn kickers! And so many stupid penalties for both teams, especially FSU - very undisciplined playing!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:37 am

My God, Joe Pa looks like a relic. :-o Seriously, I'm only a casual college football fan, and I must say it's pretty cool that a guy can coach til he's 80 and still come out a winner.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:43 am

Free Bagel wrote:SAFETY??!??! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!??!?

That is an AWFUL call. AWFUL. It went right over the RBs head. What a bogus, BOGUS call.

I'm glad someone else saw that, I was screaming at the TV when that happened, and it was obvious that that's who he threw it to.

Also, it seemed pretty bogus that Posluszny won the Butkus award when from what I saw in their bowl games, it looked like AJ Hawk was def. the superior defensive, as well as impact player for their teams.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moonhead » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:11 am

when will bobby bowden come to his senses and sign kathy ireland to kick for him?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:27 am

Great game. I caught the end of it and I wasn't disappointed ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football