The Orange Bowl: (3) Penn State vs. (22) FSU - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

The Orange Bowl: (3) Penn State vs. (22) FSU

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:26 am

Great game. The kicking marred it a little, but nevertheless to historically great programs going at it evenly. Another example of why playoffs are needed versus going off of human rankings. FSU was darn near not even ranked going against the #3 team in the country.

Gotta disagree with FreeBagel (big surprise) and Shoeless Joe on the safety. I dont care what the offensive call was, there wasnt a receiver anywhere to be seen. Maybe my TV is too small.

Finally, I wish theyd make a rule about that type of blocking on a blitzing LB. (No there was nothing illegal or dirty about the play!) I've seen LBs injured so many times on cut blocks like that. For the most part RBs are no match for the LB if they try to block them straight up, so I dont know what type of rule could be enacted. I just hate seeing that happen.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:00 am

Metroid wrote:HOLY SHEET!!! What a game! I feel sorry for all you east coasters who had to stay up till nearly two in the morning to watch the finish. The Rose Bowl might have a tough time topping this one.

Congratz Joepa!

Agreed 100%. This was a fantastic game. How can a #22 team compete with the #3? I was hoping for a blowout by PSU to show that the SEMI-noles didn't belong. But they sure showed up and competed the whole game with minimal offense.

This was a game that showed the significance of field position and how special teams can turn around a game.

4 1/2 hr game. The field goal units were horrendous. I used to go out before soccer practice where a guy used to practice field goal kicking and made those easily. When the announcers said the game was on the line and the kicker was a freshman I immediatly felt bad for the kid. But he eventually won it on the 3rd attempt. Risky for paterno to stop the drive and try and hit the field goal which was just as far as both misses. Bet he was tired.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:15 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Great game. The kicking marred it a little, but nevertheless to historically great programs going at it evenly. Another example of why playoffs are needed versus going off of human rankings. FSU was darn near not even ranked going against the #3 team in the country.

Gotta disagree with FreeBagel (big surprise) and Shoeless Joe on the safety. I dont care what the offensive call was, there wasnt a receiver anywhere to be seen. Maybe my TV is too small.

Finally, I wish theyd make a rule about that type of blocking on a blitzing LB. (No there was nothing illegal or dirty about the play!) I've seen LBs injured so many times on cut blocks like that. For the most part RBs are no match for the LB if they try to block them straight up, so I dont know what type of rule could be enacted. I just hate seeing that happen.

I agree with your disagreement on the safty...uhh yeah. Anyway you can try and say it was a screen pass but the RB was no where near the ball. It was 10 feet over his head and the ball sailed 5 feet out of bounds clearly intentional grounding.[/b]
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby CC » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:27 pm

VaderFin wrote:Word has it that Cromartie is going to declare for the draft.

He wanted to play in this game and when they wouldn't let him he threatened to go to the NFL in retaliation, he will likely be a 1st round pick.

What a great game, it seems kind of tainted by the battle in kicker futility that Kelly and Cesmesia were putting on.

Penn St. is really going to be in rebuilding mode next year, they have 4 5th year seniors on both the offensive line and in the secondary (although King will step in fine) and they lose Michael Robinson and most of their front 7.

They could still be a contender if Morelli lives up to the hype though.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:43 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:

He wanted to play in this game and when they wouldn't let him he threatened to go to the NFL in retaliation, he will likely be a 1st round pick.

What a great game, it seems kind of tainted by the battle in kicker futility that Kelly and Cesmesia were putting on.

Penn St. is really going to be in rebuilding mode next year, they have 4 5th year seniors on both the offensive line and in the secondary (although King will step in fine) and they lose Michael Robinson and most of their front 7.

It's official now. Word has it he flunked out of school as well but I have ZERO proof of that and state it only as a flat out rumor. If he gets back to 100% he is a helluva player.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:56 pm

If he is totally healthy and has a good combine I like him as the top corner, Jimmy Williams is good, but Cromartie is special at full strength.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:15 pm

This is where I wonder about all the good will Paterno is getting. If he ends up goin through another 3-4 year period of mediocrity will every State fan have to apologize again for wanting him to retire, do those same fans have to just be happy with being good 2-3 times a decade, or do the fans have a legitimate beef to ask for his removal regardless of what the media thinks?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:47 pm

VaderFin wrote:

It's official now. Word has it he flunked out of school as well but I have ZERO proof of that and state it only as a flat out rumor. If he gets back to 100% he is a helluva player.

Well, he hurt his leg last July, I believe... That gives him quite a bit of rehab time before the start of the 2006 NFL season... I have a feeling his combine will be a little less than stellar, as it will probably be his first real test coming off a torn ACL, MCL, and tendon... But, I think someone's going to get a steal on him... He's going to be one of the biggest corners in the draft at 6'3" 210 lbs... He's almost the mirror image of Jimmy Williams, but I feel he's more of a play maker, having watched him the whole way through high school and his short college career....

My prediction is that he slips to the early second round coming off a mediocre combine, but starts for whatever NFL team is lucky enough to pick him up by a quarter way into the 2006 NFL season....

My prediction - New Orleans picks him up with the 34th overall pick....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:56 pm

He claims to be healthy now and wanted to play in the Orange Bowl, I think he is 100% by the combine.

Really early optimistic prediction - 11th to the Rams.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:06 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:Also, it seemed pretty bogus that Posluszny won the Butkus award when from what I saw in their bowl games, it looked like AJ Hawk was def. the superior defensive, as well as impact player for their teams.

Wow I don't understand how you can say something like that just because you watched there bowl games. Maybe you didn't notice that the Penn St. defense continuously held FSU to a 3 and out, and when posluszny got injured florida st started to move the ball more. AJ Hawk may have more talent and may be a better prospect for the NFL, but don't take away from what Posluszny did on the field this year, especially if you didn't even watch him until this game. He has been dominant all year long, as has the Penn St defense.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to College Football