Don't reach for Steve Smith! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Don't reach for Steve Smith!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Don't reach for Steve Smith

Postby The Lung » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:29 am

Not Well Received

As a reminder, check out this Fanball article. History has shown that the receiving leader does not repeat as #1 the next year. Worse yet, the drop-off is significant: an average of around 450 fewer yards, 5 fewer touchdowns, and 30 fewer receptions.

Furthermore, the offseason acquisition and presence of Keyshawn Johnson should also steer you away from reaching for Smith.

Is Steve Smith the top WR in the league? Probably. Is he worthy of a first round pick this year? Definitely not.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:33 am

I've never been high on Smith anyways. I haven't gotten around to even starting my sheet, but imagine he'll be in my top 5 but he won't be my number one. Somebody else said up there he's a good 3rd round pick, but he'll go before that, so he won't be on my team. :-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 am

I have TO and Holt ahead of him in my rankings, but I just don't feel right putting anyone else in front of him at this point.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby terpfan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 am

I dont necessarily expect Steve Smith to repeat as the clear #1 WR, but a Carolina receiver HAS been the #1 WR two years in a row. I see no reason why Smith shouldnt again put up huge numbers, and whether or not he actually will be the #1 WR, I will still draft him as such, because I think he still has the best chance of anyone to be. He's still a mid to late second round pick IMO. At that point the talent at RB really drops off so you dont have much choice but to take a WR.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ampant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:25 am

Mercer Boy wrote:It's not just the committees...it's the bad team situations, the hype for 2nd year RB's, and generally inexperienced new starters. Sure, there will be one or two like Jackson or Jordan that will pan out, but it's partly the scheme they are in.

At this point, I would much rather wait on a guy like Westbrook or Dunn that has been a consistent producer in the top 20 of RB scoring than try to strike lucky gold on an over hyped guy who has inflated expectations. There's a dang good chance they will be falling to Round 3 when everything shakes out with the other RB situations...their value there is excellent. This allows you to get that bona fide top WR in Round 2 like a CJ, Smith, Fitz, Holt, Harrison that you are 90% confident will get you 1200 yards and 8-12 TD's. There are only so many of those guys to get!

Believe me...I have been a 2 RB first guy for a long time. But after getting 2nd place after 2nd place, I really feel that this is the time to alter my strategy to try and gain a player that will consistently score me points from each position - including WR. I can find FA guys that really help, but it's really nice to have a WR you can almost count on for 80-90 yards and a TD almost every game that you have drafted.

Word Mercer. I am feeling the same way this year. The Rbs available in the 2nd round don't seem head and shoulders above some of the quality (but not premiere) guys available in the 3rd/4th rounds. I'll be going RB WR WR RB, or RB WR RB WR this year.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:52 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I don't get it. Steve Smith looks like a good bet to me next year. I would draft the guy in the late 2nd/early 3rd. There is no WR worthy of a 1st round pick next year IMO. Moss and TO's situations are too unstable.. and those are really the only WRs I would want to count on to carry my team.

so much for that WR/WR strategy eh Ken? :-b
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:42 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I don't get it. Steve Smith looks like a good bet to me next year. I would draft the guy in the late 2nd/early 3rd. There is no WR worthy of a 1st round pick next year IMO. Moss and TO's situations are too unstable.. and those are really the only WRs I would want to count on to carry my team.

so much for that WR/WR strategy eh Ken? :-b

:-b owned

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Crippler » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:59 pm

Anyone read the original article he is referring to? (http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=5273). I find it funny that they call themselves 'experts'. Granted, this was written a long time ago, but Palmer as #7 overall? Gates in the first round? No Portis? Give me a break.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Crippler wrote:Anyone read the original article he is referring to? (http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=5273). I find it funny that they call themselves 'experts'. Granted, this was written a long time ago, but Palmer as #7 overall? Gates in the first round? No Portis? Give me a break.

I dont know about you but my views on players and teams change quite a bit during the offseason. Just look at the Flexual Harrassment draft i participated in in December and Janruary. I look back on that and wonder what the heck i was thinking. I dont think you can really look back on an article that was written in Janruary and crtiquie it by todays standards. I was just giving Ken a hard time. Obviously with free agency and the draft your opinions change a bit.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:19 pm

ampant wrote:
Word Mercer. I am feeling the same way this year. The Rbs available in the 2nd round don't seem head and shoulders above some of the quality (but not premiere) guys available in the 3rd/4th rounds. I'll be going RB WR WR RB, or RB WR RB WR this year.

Don't rule out Gates in that equation or P.Manning.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk