what's in a name? (answered) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Trivia Time Trial

what's in a name? (answered)

Moderator: Football Trivia Mods

what's in a name? (answered)

Postby merc » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:21 pm

A strange object resides in the Canton Pro Football Hall of Fame, after which the SuperBowl was named.

Name the object, the past owner of this object, the NFL team owner who jokingly named the SuperBowl after seeing this object, and the year that the name SuperBowl became official.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig

[i]2006 Cafe TSN Ultimate Salary Cap Playoff Champion[/i]
merc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:34 pm

Time: 2 minutes, 57.72 seconds

Lamar Hunt came up with the idea after watching his daughter play with a "Super Ball" (the object). Super Bowl IV was the first "Super Bowl" terminology formally introduced in 1970.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby redragon19 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:14 pm

Time: 3 minutes, 9.08 seconds

Hunt thought of the name after seeing his daughter playing with a toy called a Super Ball. The ball is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio
You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care
redragon19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Big Sig ChampionEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:01 pm

Time: 3 minutes, 44.69 seconds

ouch, got me
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:55 am

Time: 3 minutes, 46.91 seconds

One of the conditions of the agreement was that the winners of each league's championship game would meet in a contest to determine the "world champion of football". During the discussions to iron out the details, AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had jokingly referred to the proposed interleague championship as the "Super Bowl." Hunt thought of the name after seeing his daughter playing with a toy called a Super Ball. The ball is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The name was feasible because postseason college football games had long been known as "bowl games" (The term originates with the Rose Bowl game, which was in turn named for the bowl-shaped stadium in which it is played). Hunt only meant his suggested name to be a stopgap until a better one could be found. Not having thought of one, the owners named the contest the NFL-AFL World Championship Game. Unsurprisingly, fans and media tended to use the shorter, unofficial name. Starting with the third contest in 1969, the name "Super Bowl" became official.<br><br><span class=gensmall>Accepted as answer by Dr. Duran Duran on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:11 pm EST.</span>
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Vanter » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:10 am

Time: 5 minutes, 9.40 seconds

Object - Super Ball
Belonged to the daughter of Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt who was the one that joked about it. Became offical in 1969
Vanter
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:16 pm

Wow. Could luck out on this one. So far I wasn't the fastest but DDD had the wrong Super Bowl & year, and redragon forgot to put in the year. [fingers crossed] One more day left.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Actually, I don't think I have it wrong at all, flotsam. The name "Super Bowl" didn't appear on any tickets or programming until Super Bowl IV.

See here...

http://www.superbowl.com/history/rings/game/sbiii

No Super Bowl on ticket. Now see here...

http://www.superbowl.com/history/rings/game/sbiv

Super Bowl on ticket. They didn't start formally calling it the Super Bowl until Super Bowl IV.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:44 pm

I have the complete TV broadcast of Super Bowl 3 on video. The announcers call it the 3rd annual Super Bowl.

Plus all the reports I've seen (including the one I copied & pasted for the answer) about the "super ball" story say that 1969 and Super Bowl 3 was when the term was 1st used.

Here's an auction for a Super Bowl 3 program:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-Super-Bowl-III ... dZViewItem

It says Super Bowl on the cover.

Here's the link where I got the answer from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl

Here's a copy & paste directly from that link:

[History

Origins
The Super Bowl was created as part of the merger agreement between the National Football League (NFL) and its rival, the American Football League (AFL). After its inception in 1920, the NFL fended off several rival leagues before the AFL began play in 1960. The intense competitive war for players and fans led to serious merger talks between the two leagues in 1966 (See AFL-NFL Merger for more information).

One of the conditions of the agreement was that the winners of each league's championship game would meet in a contest to determine the "world champion of football". During the discussions to iron out the details, AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had jokingly referred to the proposed interleague championship as the "Super Bowl." Hunt thought of the name after seeing his daughter playing with a toy called a Super Ball. The ball is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The name was feasible because postseason college football games had long been known as "bowl games" (The term originates with the Rose Bowl game, which was in turn named for the bowl-shaped stadium in which it is played). Hunt only meant his suggested name to be a stopgap until a better one could be found. Not having thought of one, the owners named the contest the NFL-AFL World Championship Game. Unsurprisingly, fans and media tended to use the shorter, unofficial name. Starting with the third contest in 1969, the name "Super Bowl" became official.]

I'm 100% sure that I got this one right.
flotsamnjetsam

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:12 pm

Weird, NFL.com says one thing and the NFL History section dictates another. I'm giving it to flotsam here if things remain the same. Apparently, the NFL History section I got my information from isn't very accurate or it's not explaining itself very well.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Trivia Time Trial