what's in a name? (answered) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Trivia Time Trial

what's in a name? (answered)

Moderator: Football Trivia Mods

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:12 pm

Weird, NFL.com says one thing and the NFL History section dictates another. I'm giving it to flotsam here if things remain the same. Apparently, the NFL History section I got my information from isn't very accurate or it's not explaining itself very well.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:13 pm

After both leagues merged in 1970, the Super Bowl became the NFL's championship game

Hmmm... :-?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:24 pm

DDD: It's just that because I have the TV Broadcast of Super Bowl III and the fact that I'm a Super Bowl trivia geek, I knew Super Bowl 3, 1969, & super ball was the answer right from the start. The only reason I had to find a link about it was because I forgot who's daughter the super ball belonged to.

I grew up in NY and WFAN (1st sports radio station) always gave away 5 trips to the Super Bowl during the week before the game. I became obsessed with Super Bowl trivia in an attempt to win the trip. You had to answer 4 questions in a row. 1st 2 were easy. 3rd was hard. 4th was very hard. They also gave you only 5 seconds to give an answer because people were stalling while they looked up answers in books and/or the internet. It was nearly impossible just to get on the air because the phones were jammed during the contest. I got to the 4th question once. They said: "OK for a trip to the Super Bowl: The Dallas Cowboys have been to 7 Super Bowls. How many did they wear their blue jerseys and which ones was it? 5 seconds please." I guessed Super Bowls 5 & 6. If I didn't say "&6" I would have won a trip to Super Bowl 30, where the Cowboys once again wore their white jerseys. I asked this question last month on this forum.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:31 pm

This is from nfl.com on nfl history:

The AFL established a playoff format for the 1969 season, with the winner in one division playing the runner-up in the other, January 11. An AFL team won the Super Bowl for the first time, as the Jets defeated the Colts 16-7 at Miami, January 12 in Super Bowl III. The title Super Bowl was recognized by the NFL for the first time.

Vince Lombardi became part owner, executive vice-president, and head coach of the Washington Redskins, February 7.

Wolman sold the Eagles to Leonard Tose, May 1.

Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh agreed to join the AFL teams to form the 13-team American Football Conference of the NFL in 1970, May 17. The NFL also agreed on a playoff format that would include one "wild-card" team per conference-the second-place team with the best record.

Monday Night Football was signed for 1970. ABC acquired the rights to televise 13 NFL regular-season Monday night games in 1970, 1971, and 1972.

George Preston Marshall, president emeritus of the Redskins, died at 72, August 9.

The NFL marked its fiftieth year by the wearing of a special patch by each of the 16 teams.

Here's the entire link:

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1961-1970#1969
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:35 pm

You've sold me, flotsam! ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to Trivia Time Trial