Herm Edwards Leaving the Jets. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Herm Edwards Leaving the Jets.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Herm Edwards Leaving the Jets.

Postby michaelavelli » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:02 pm

From Rotoworld...

WFAN in New York is reporting that Herm Edwards is out as Jets coach. It could become official as early as tonight. The Chiefs and Jets are currently negotiating draft picks as compensation.

According to WFAN's Mike Francesa, Jets owner Woody Johnson is tired of Edwards asking for a contract extension. The team also reportedly isn't happy about some recent leaks to the media. Rumors say that Johnson will let his coach go for a third and fifth round draft pick. That said, it's not good news for a Jets franchise that is already having roster and morale problems. Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger are both likely candidates to replace Herm. Jan. 4 - 5:23 pm et
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Great Gambini » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:07 pm

Are those the only two candidates with a realistic shot, or could they bring in an outsider?

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:08 pm

VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:09 pm

A caller on FAN suggested Tice, but Francesa and Russo shot that idea down pretty quick. Sounds like Heimerdinger is the favorite to replace him right now.
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Another in a LONG, LONG list of horrible moves by one of the worst organizations in the NFL. Next horrible move will be losing Abraham. The Jets have been screwing with him for years by not giving him a long-term contract.

This is the reason why Belichick decided to leave and it was the best decision of his entire career.

I think Sherman is the best of the coaches who got fired this week. I bet he wouldn't even consider coming to this joke of an organization.

PS: This is coming from a long time suffering Jets fan. I'm just glad that I'm a rare New Yorker in that I root for the Jets & the Giants. Most New Yorkers root for 1 and hate the other. When I was growing up they both sucked so I rooted for both home teams.

J E T S: Just End The Suffering
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby michaelavelli » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:26 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Another in a LONG, LONG list of horrible moves by one of the worst organizations in the NFL. Next horrible move will be losing Abraham. The Jets have been screwing with him for years by not giving him a long-term contract.

This is the reason why Belichick decided to leave and it was the best decision of his entire career.

I think Sherman is the best of the coaches who got fired this week. I bet he wouldn't even consider coming to this joke of an organization.

PS: This is coming from a long time suffering Jets fan. I'm just glad that I'm a rare New Yorker in that I root for the Jets & the Giants. Most New Yorkers root for 1 and hate the other. When I was growing up they both sucked so I rooted for both home teams.

Are you sure this is the Jets doing the moving? It sounds like Herm forced his way out.

As for Belichick, I think it's more accurate to say that he left because of Parcells; the whole not wanting to continue to work under his shadow with Parcells as the GM. Of course, I guess you could says that setting that situation up was a bad move by the Jets as well.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby giants! » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:40 pm

flots- im another Jets- Giants fan.

I also think this is a horrible move if it was for the reason cited- his demands for a longer contract. Herm was a great coach for the jets as the players believed in him and went out every week and gave it all they had in order to get him a win. It will be hard to replicate that with a new coach.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:42 pm

michaelavelli wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:Another in a LONG, LONG list of horrible moves by one of the worst organizations in the NFL. Next horrible move will be losing Abraham. The Jets have been screwing with him for years by not giving him a long-term contract.

Are you sure this is the Jets doing the moving? It sounds like Herm forced his way out.

As for Belichick, I think it's more accurate to say that he left because of Parcells; the whole not wanting to continue to work under his shadow with Parcells as the GM. Of course, I guess you could says that setting that situation up was a bad move by the Jets as well.

To me it really doesn't matter who did the moving. I know that Edwards isn't the best coach in the league but he gets the most out of his players and they always play hard for him no matter what their record is. Maybe Edwards wants to leave (maybe he talked to Belichick) and this was his way to get out.

I think the organization should have given him the contract extension he was asking for. Same thing with Abraham. He's been asking for a contract extension for a while. He's one of the best defensive players on the team and they screw with him to the point where they franchise him this year? The Jets are so screwed with the salary cap (another sign of a bad organization) that it'll be a miracle if they end up keeping Abraham.

As far as your point about Belichick & Parcells's shadow...you might be right. That might have factored into his decision. Only the Bill's know for sure. I just know how bad the Jets organization is and I think Belichick was smart enough to put himself in the better situation.
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:48 pm

giants! wrote:flots- im another Jets- Giants fan.

I also think this is a horrible move if it was for the reason cited- his demands for a longer contract. Herm was a great coach for the jets as the players believed in him and went out every week and gave it all they had in order to get him a win. It will be hard to replicate that with a new coach.

I knew there were more of us out there! Just kidding but Jets/Giants fans are rare.
flotsamnjetsam

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:55 am

Not so fast.

This is from kffl.com:

Chiefs | Edwards to Kansas City reports are bogus
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:02:56 -0800

Clark Judge, of CBSSportsline.com, reports New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards is not headed to coach the Kansas City Chiefs yet. He reports that Edwards isn't even on the Chiefs radar because he is still under contract with the Jets. WFAN radio in New York reported the Chiefs and Jets negotiating a trade for Edwards on Wednesday, Jan. 4, but sources in Kansas City claim that report was false.
flotsamnjetsam

Next

Return to Football Talk