#2 pick. a. green or s. alexander. i can't decide. help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

#2 pick. a. green or s. alexander. i can't decide. help

Moderator: Football Moderators

#2 pick. a. green or s. alexander. i can't decide. help

Postby chippyt » Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:38 pm

i have the number 2 pick and i can't decide on green or alexander. against the advice of every updated cheat sheet i can find, i am leaning towards alexander on upside alone. i am scared, however, by what could be a lack of a passing game with hasselback and a tougher division. help please
chippyt

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Frikkin Amazed

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:17 pm

Ja, I am frikkin amazed ... amazed that this question is still popping up.

Pull up a chair #2 and I will explain why you aren't ready to wear the daddy pants.

#1 - Green has scored impressive numbers two seasons in a row. Alexander still has to prove he can repeat.

#2 - Green plays for the frikkin Green Bay Packers, who have more weapons at their disposal than the U.S. Military. Their passing game will keep defenses honest. Seattle's QB situation is murky and none of those guys will light up the skies.

#3 - The head of every Evil organization understands how to be a bully. The Green Bay Packers have one of the league's easiest schedules ... Seattle has one of the most difficult. Look at the opening week. Would you rather face Atlanta or Cleveland? While Green is wracking up fantasy numbers, Alexander will be lucky to get through his first game in one piece.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby n_tremain23 » Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:24 am

I have to agree with Dodger,Green is the way to go with the #2 pick.Althought either pick would be a wonderful first round pick,with the #2 you want Green!
n_tremain23

Postby Belmont » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:11 am

I have to disagree with the previous 2 replies. I would have hands down, without a second thought taken Alexander before Dilfer went down with the injury. I am a little more pessimistic about Alexander now, but I still would put money on him outperforming Ahman Green. First of all, I think that Alexander has more upside than Green. Alexander outplayed Green in 2001. Alexander didn't even start until week 4, yet he still outscored Green by 5 TD's and almost outgained him in rushing yards. The sky is the limit with Alexander, although I do like him and the wide receivers with Seattle a lot better with Dilfer at the helm. Dilfer should only be out about a month or so.
I also really think that the Packers are overrated this year. Terry Glenn is going to get injured and miss half the season and there is no other formidable #1 receiver on the team. Freeman, Schroeder and Bradford have all departed. Yeah, this may mean more touches for Green, but he already led the team in rushing and receiving last year and still only scored 11 times. I think that the Pack still will probably make the playoffs, but it is going to be a tough season. Green is a great player and I think he will have an excellent season, but just not as good of one as I project Shaun Alexander to have. I think that Green is more of a middle to middle late first round pick.
Belmont

Friendliness: %

Green Machine

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:50 pm

You can't rule out strength of schedule when considering running backs. It's usually not a big factor for WRs, because WR's have the advantage over CBs.

Look at it this way. Most football sites list green and alexander #2 or #3 on their cheat sheets. I never see Green listed 10th and Alexander 2nd, for example. Since they're this close, strength of schedule become the single most important factor in choosing which one to draft. Do you wanna play the guy who faces the weakest opposition, or the guy who is going to get severly pounded week in and week out?

Now ... factor in that Dilfer is going to miss a month "yeah right" and even if you project Alexander as 2nd, he's still probably going to slip to 3rd in that scenario. Honestly, good as he is, I think he will have to claw this year to stay in the top 10.

Finally ... you can take the advice of one of the board's moderators, or the advice of a guest who couldn't be bothered to take five minutes to fill out the registration form. Hmm, which way to go?
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby terpfan » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:53 pm

its trent dilfer guys! its only not like opposing defenses were gonna key in on the guy anyway. i dont think the having hasselback under center will really affect alexander. my thoughts are: if ur league counts interceptions take green, if not take alexander.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:54 pm

i said interceptions but i meant REceptions. my bad... :*)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:28 am

i had the #2 pick in my draft this year and i choose Green without batting an eye. DraftDodger bout summed up my reasons very nicely for you. More Proven, Better Offense, Easier Schedule what more should you need. plus Green is a better recieving QB and we all know Farve licks to dump it out if need be pick Green ;-D
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: #2 pick. a. green or s. alexander. i can't decide. he

Postby SolarfluX » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:59 am

Anonymous wrote:i am scared, however, by what could be a lack of a passing game with hasselback and a tougher division.

You just answered your own question by your own reasoning.

Opposing Ds will stack the line vs. Alexander, forcing Hasselbeck to throw more often, which could be a good thing for D. Jackson and K. Robinson.
SolarfluX
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SolarfluX » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:01 am

terpfan wrote:i said interceptions but i meant REceptions. my bad... :*)

Rather than posting a new reply, simply edit your old entry and fix it.
SolarfluX
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk