Fan offended by Scorpions song at NO/TB game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Fan offended by Scorpions song at NO/TB game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fan offended by Scorpions song at NO/TB game

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:20 am

This is probably just a coincidence where someone read a little too much into things. I'm sure it could have been worse; Katrina & The Waves could have performed. :-/

Tampa Bay's 10 News wrote:Song offends some Bucs fans

By:Preston Rudie

Tampa, Florida - Like most Bucs fans, Bob Corry says he enjoyed Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints at Raymond James Stadium. Everything, except a song played over the stadium's loudspeakers at halftime.

"The first song that I hear is 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' by The Scorpions and I thought to myself, 'Is it me, or is this just totally out of place and inappropriate?'"

The Bucs cheerleaders began their halftime show dancing to the song and Corry says he thought it showed a lack of sensitivity, considering what New Orleans residents went through last year following Hurricane Katrina.

"There's thousands still living in trailer parks up there and 'Rock You Like a Hurricane?' I wouldn't wish that upon anybody."

Corry wrote the Bucs asking for the team to apologize, saying he was offended and doesn't feel the song represents the feelings of everyone at the game.

"There are definitely people out here willing to give up their time, give up their cash, give up their own homes to help those people from that region. And to be insensitive, [it] doesn't represent Tampa Bay or the fans of the Bucs."

On Wednesday afternoon, a Buccaneers' spokesperson apologized for the song, calling it an oversight and saying it was not their "intent to offend anyone."

The team officials noted the song was part of a dance routine the cheerleaders have performed to all season. He says the song, "Rock You Like a Hurricane" will no longer be played at games against the Saints.

Earlier this year, the Buccaneers joined other NFL teams and the Red Cross in raising thousands of dollars for the victims of Katrina.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Slingblade » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:37 am

Someone always has to cry like a little baby. Rediculous. :-t Funny though...lmao. :-D
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:39 am

So, are we never allowed to make references to hurricanes in any form of entertainment or comedy ever again? :-t
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Homeless » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:34 am

Ahhh political correctness at its best :-t
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:45 am

Bob Corry = Moron
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:50 am

VaderFin wrote:Bob Corry = Moron

;-D

So this guy is saying that hot cheerleaders dancing to a song(that happens to have the word hurricane) was inappropriate.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby CC » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:57 am

[sarcasm]Yea, this song is basically spitting in the face of those who were affected by the hurricane. [/sarcasm]

I don't know why people always feel a need to correct something that doesn't need correcting. This song wasn't wrriten after the Hurricane, and there have been other hurricanes before, so stop crying.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:07 am

LOL at Mercer. I guess "Walking on Sunshine" would have been bad...

I can understand why they might feel that way a little, but it's not like the song was written in jest to the Saints or to mock them in anyway. They wrote it 20 some years ago.

If that's really the case, The Scorpions are geniuses. And chances are, would have had even more hits. :-b
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:12 am

It's people like this that the hurricane should have eradicated. !+)
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:17 am

I normally don't care about being PC, but playing "Rock you like a Hurricane" is in poor taste.

They should've just used "The Thong Song." Impossible to offend anyone there...everyone loves thongs.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk