Wildcard - Pittsburgh at Cincinnati - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Wildcard - Pittsburgh at Cincinnati

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Hines Alou » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:09 pm

biju wrote:
Thank God these guys are going to lose this weekend so I don't have to read any more of this garbage. :-D

Here comes the flamewar...

Hey there, Im only sayin the truth. I also agree the Steelers shot at winning this weekend is low, but I wouldnt call my post garbage either because it makes complete sense
Hines Alou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 274
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jasonhightower » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:14 pm

biju wrote:
Hines Alou wrote:Ok, Im gonna just say EVERYTHING thats on my mind about the idiotic comments that have gone on in this topic.

First off, the Steelers dont play cheap at all. Football is a game where you hit guys, and EVERY defense in the NFL "stands on top of tackled players even after the whistle is blown". If they make a big play, they talk trash. Its just part of the game, it gets you motivated and motivates your team. And to say that about polamalu is ridiculous. The guy makes legal hits and is one of the best safetys in the NFL, and your gonna say he plays dirty? If he was dirty he wouldnt be so respected. In yesterdays game his emotions got the best of him, and that kinda stuff happens. As a steeler fan I was pissed off at him, but it happens. You guys need to realize that getting hit is part of the game. If Polamalu gets a personal foul call, thats not playing dirty, because hes getting PENALIZED for it. The team takes a hit for personal fouls, so I dont see how this is an issue. Its not like Polamalu's ever hurt a guy from one before anyway from what I can remember.

Next, for all you people who think that the hit on Palmer was cheap, go look at the footage. Kimo Von Oelhoffen was PUSHED BY A BENGAL OFFENSIVE LINEMAN into Carson Palmer. Now, Kimo lives around where I do, and Ive seen him in TONS of interviews on local news stations and even sometimes on ESPN, and he is one of the nicest guys on the Steeler team. He had no intention what so ever to hurt Carson Palmer. Did you guys not see his reaction? He was so upset that he did that to their star quarterback, even if he knew that it would help his team to victory. So overall with this, stop saying these BS comments about it being a cheap hit. Go watch footage and then talk.

Finally, Id like to address the fact for the 100th time that Carson Palmer is a better quarterback then Jon Kitna (obviously), but you cant go on and guaruntee assumptions that the Bengals would have won the game with him. You can say "I think they would have won with Palmer", but dont say that they WOULD have one. Do you guys remember who was favored in this game before the opening kickoff in cincinnati? The Pittsburgh Steelers. When the spread was made, was Carson Palmer completely healthy for the Bengals? Yes. So, what Im saying is, the Steelers were favored to win this football game by three points, and it was also an away game for them. With this, one can conclude that even with Carson Palmer, the Bengals were underdogs. Now how are you going to make these bold predictions saying that.

Doesn't matter who between kitna and the defense lose the game, with carson in we win. Carson leads us to a high scoring game, Pitt has to play catch up, bengals D creates turnovers, game over. After he left kitna had a couple nice drives I think but then the offense just stalled. Just having Carson in not only makes the offense better, but the defense as well.


I would like to take a moment and show everyone what Im talking about. You see, this is a bold prediction. The Steelers were favored in this game, yet Paladyr has this idea that with Carson Palmer, the Bengals are better on defense. I cant be reading that right, because when I watched the game yesterday, I saw Ben Roethlisberger go 14/19 for 208 yards and 3 TD's, with no turnovers. I also dont understand how you say the Steelers cant play catch up, BECAUSE THEY DID. The Steelers were down by 10 twice in the first half, came back, and won by 14. Does that not tell you something? Maybe the Steelers actually CAN do something while throwing the ball.

I hope this was an enjoyable read for Steeler fans, and a terrible one for Bengals fans, but I hope it opened their eyes a little. I also would like to add that it was unfortunate that such a great talent in Carson Palmer would have such a huge injury in his first playoff game. Hes a great quarterback, and like someone else said, Im already pumped up for some more Big Ben vs. Carson matchups in the future. As for now, the Steelers are still the best team in the AFC North.

WHO DEY?
WE DEY

Here we go Steelers, Here we go.


Thank God these guys are going to lose this weekend so I don't have to read any more of this garbage. :-D

Here comes the flamewar...


Yeah, reading factually accurate posts in a public forum can be quite annoying... Nice post Hines, I think it heads the nail on the head.

The thought of Pittsburgh being a dirty team is a desperate attempt of a few to make excuses for a team that was simply outplayed. I might understand the "Palmer injury creating the loss for Cincy" theory if Pitt wouldn't have already manhandled them earlier in the year.

Disgruntled Cincy fans should "take the loss like a man." I know I will be if the Colts do what there suppose to do this weekend.
jasonhightower
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 365
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 1 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth

Postby biju » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:17 pm

Hines Alou wrote:
biju wrote:
Thank God these guys are going to lose this weekend so I don't have to read any more of this garbage. :-D

Here comes the flamewar...

Hey there, Im only sayin the truth. I also agree the Steelers shot at winning this weekend is low, but I wouldnt call my post garbage either because it makes complete sense


Yeah, it was more for play than anything else. The Steelers are a good team. I don't necessarily agree they would have certainly won even with Carson Palmer in, but I still had it as the Steelers winning at the end of the game.

I just like to create conflict... :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Postby Hines Alou » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:18 pm

I too will take the hit like a man if we lose to the colts. When we lost to the Ravens in the regular season without Ben, I didnt blame the game on Tommy. there are other factors to football aside from your quarterback. youre on a team, deal with it if you lose.
Hines Alou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 274
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby questionable_suckcs » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:40 am

First let me preface this by saying that I heard it from my girlfriend who heard it on the radio on her way home from work and while she is one of the most brilliant people I know she has the memory of a snowflake and sometimes tends to mix up the facts.

In any case she said that Franco was running for govenor. She actually asked me if I'd heard that an old Steeler player was running for Gov. she only had to think for a couple of seconds about who it was because Franco was my first guess knowing that he's into politics and was a big Bush supporter in '04. So I'd figure he'll shoot for the Republican ticket and if he can't get it will go Indy (like the Steelers this weekend).

But, like I said, with my girlfriends attention to detail he could be running for Mayor or it could be Lynn Swan running.
questionable_suckcs
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 104
Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Motor City

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:32 am

Hines Alou wrote:If Polamalu gets a personal foul call, thats not playing dirty, because hes getting PENALIZED for it. The team takes a hit for personal fouls, so I dont see how this is an issue. Its not like Polamalu's ever hurt a guy from one before anyway from what I can remember.


This has been a pretty interesting thread with some decent points in it but here's one I would like to make.

While I tend to agree with a lot of what you are saying Hines, I don't agree with that statement. He slammed the football in the guys face. Is that playing dirty? Eh, well...Could be thought of as that. Intense? Most definitely. So he did something and got penalized for it. That still means it's dirty. Just that the refs saw it and called it.

Would it be viewed as dirty that Sean Taylor spit in Pittman's face? Yes? Or is it excused after the fact because he was penalized and ejected for it? No.

That is the same point you are making about Polamula. So just becuase Troy was penalized for it, doesn't mean it couldn't be viewed as still playing dirty.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 22027
Joined: 3 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Has Left The Premises.

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:49 am

I agree with Swiper.

If a player cleats another guy's groin and gets ejected, he got penalized. It's still an unbelievably dirty play!
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5971
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Illadelph

Postby jayday » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:09 am

Hines Alou wrote:Next, for all you people who think that the hit on Palmer was cheap, go look at the footage. Kimo Von Oelhoffen was PUSHED BY A BENGAL OFFENSIVE LINEMAN into Carson Palmer. Now, Kimo lives around where I do, and Ive seen him in TONS of interviews on local news stations and even sometimes on ESPN, and he is one of the nicest guys on the Steeler team. He had no intention what so ever to hurt Carson Palmer. Did you guys not see his reaction? He was so upset that he did that to their star quarterback, even if he knew that it would help his team to victory. So overall with this, stop saying these BS comments about it being a cheap hit. Go watch footage and then talk.

I'll say it again....I've watched, and while I don't think it was intentionally dirty...but that hit was BAD technique...completely avoidable....you can say that he was pushed into Carson's knee, but fact is he was pushed towards Carson's knee and made no effort to avoid hitting his planted leg....Anyone who has played D-line(myself included) will tell you the same thing, if he wanted to, he could've avoided going into Carson's knee....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5459
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:54 am

For those of you (Hines especially) who are categorizing us Bengals fans as sore losers and morons who are guaranteeing a win with Palmer in the game, I would like to set a few things straight:

-I'm a huge Bengals fan

-The Steelers are a better team

-With Palmer in, we had a chance to win. Without him we had no chance.

-The blow to Palmer's knee was not a dirty hit. Not even Palmer thinks so. It was obvious the guy wasn't trying to hurt him.

-I will take my loss like a man (as I have done for the past 15 years) but don't get mad at me for wondering what might have been if our stud QB, franchise player, and team leader who led the league in quite a few categories had been able to play.

-We will be back next year

-The Steelers will probably get killed by Indy
Image
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2318
Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby tag72 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:05 pm

black_hawk8888 wrote:For those of you (Hines especially) who are categorizing us Bengals fans as sore losers and morons who are guaranteeing a win with Palmer in the game, I would like to set a few things straight:

-I'm a huge Bengals fan

-The Steelers are a better team

-With Palmer in, we had a chance to win. Without him we had no chance.

-The blow to Palmer's knee was not a dirty hit. Not even Palmer thinks so. It was obvious the guy wasn't trying to hurt him.

-I will take my loss like a man (as I have done for the past 15 years) but don't get mad at me for wondering what might have been if our stud QB, franchise player, and team leader who led the league in quite a few categories had been able to play.

-We will be back next year

-The Steelers will probably get killed by Indy



As a Steelers fan I haev to be honest and agree with these points. Out of all the playoff teams, the Bengals were the one I wanted the Steelers to open up with. Is it because the Bengals are bad? No, in fact I think the Bengals are on their way to being the next Indy in the AFC, and maybe even a little more advanced than Indy was at this point in their rise to the top. The simple fact is Cinci has zero playoff experience on the roster and needed this game win or lose. Kind of like Ben last year. Even though he lost it is going to help his future a lot and the same will happen for the Bengals next year. Next year wath out for Cinnci and I know I wont want to see the Steelers face them in the playoffs next year. As for Indy, well the Steelers are surely underdogs but they could still win. I would hope that Cowher learned a thing or to with the early season loss to Indy and can take advantage of it. You know NE would:)
tag72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 359
Joined: 8 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:53 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact