Instant Replay Question..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Instant Replay Question.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Instant Replay Question.....

Postby BGbootha » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Assuming you all just saw the instant replay of the Shepard Touchdown in the TB game..

My question....comparing two instant replayed TD's this season. This last one of TB and then the Shockey touchdown against sea.

How can one be a touchdown and the other not a touchdown.

-------------------------------

Using the info given by the announcers, why wouldn't someone falling into the endzone to lose the ball be a fumble!!! If a player makes his two feet in the endzone why is the play not over right then and there, how is this different the the ball crossing the plane on a run??
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:49 pm

The only thing I can think of is that they said he didn't have control with it when his two feet were down. Then by the time he did get control of the ball he was going down on the ground, and then he lost the ball going down which is an incompletion.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:19 pm

The main difference is that Shockey had control of the ball prior to hitting the ground. Shepherd never really had control, and the ball was coming loose before he hit the ground.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby biju » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Free Bagel wrote:The main difference is that Shockey had control of the ball prior to hitting the ground. Shepherd never really had control, and the ball was coming loose before he hit the ground.

Actually, the main difference is the Shockey call was wrong. ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Philly Pride » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:17 pm

biju wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:The main difference is that Shockey had control of the ball prior to hitting the ground. Shepherd never really had control, and the ball was coming loose before he hit the ground.

Actually, the main difference is the Shockey call was wrong. ;-D

I think he actually admitted that the call was wrong too 8-o That's when you know the ref screwed up. I thought Shepherd had it, but I might be a little biased toward the Bucs.
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Sipho » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:55 pm

In that confusing ramble the ref gave in the Tampa game, he cited some rule. Is there a rule that a player has to maintain possession after he hits the ground? It would seem to me that the instant a guy has possession in the endzone, the play is over, regardless of what happens when he hits the ground.
Sipho
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby biju » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Sipho wrote:In that confusing ramble the ref gave in the Tampa game, he cited some rule. Is there a rule that a player has to maintain possession after he hits the ground? It would seem to me that the instant a guy has possession in the endzone, the play is over, regardless of what happens when he hits the ground.

It depends entirely on how you define possession and when one acquires it. If you're on your feet and make the catch you have possession when you have two feet inbounds.

If you're falling and have completed the catch you must retain possession until you've stopped falling.

In the Tampa Bay case, although he started catching the ball on his feet he didn't "complete" the catch until he was falling. At that point he must retain the ball as he hits the ground. Had he caught the ball upright, two feet inbounds it wouldn't have mattered if he started his fall afterward.

It's a bit technical, but the right call was made.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SniperShot » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:18 pm

For it to be a catch you need to have control throughout the catching act. The Ref totally explained the rule during the Tampa Bay game last week I didn't see the Shockey one. It's tough but whenever I see the ball hitting the ground I always doubt the Refs will say it's a catch.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby gablefan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:20 pm

The thing I don't get about it was the guy didn't look like he would have fallen if not tackled. Posession and two feet in the EZ should be a catch, to me anyways....
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:37 pm

As explained by the announcers, the difference is the coverage. If he's standing all alone in the end zone, he only needs posession long enough to have 2 feet in bounds. If, however, he's being tackled as he's making the catch, he must have 2 feet in bounds and retain posession until the players meet the ground. The ball was slipping out of his hands while he was going down, therefore it's an incomplete pass.
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:This is a talented team that under any other circumstances would be an absolute lock for their 4th championship, but I can't shake the feeling that the push for 16-0 will in the end be the undoing of this team in the playoffs.
KoopaTroopa211
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting