The Job Market - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Job Market

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Job Market

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:00 am

Anyone else a little frustrated with the Job Market right now?

I'm looking to switch to a different area of law (attorney) but nowhere is hiring. Other Attorneys I know are having the same problem too. Man, I miss the Clinton Years. Jobs were everywhere.

I hear unemployment is down. I don't see that though. If it is, I think "underemployment" is up. Lots of people working in jobs they are overqualified for, and not being able to find a job fit for them.

Eh oh well. I'm sure sooner or later I'll make the switch. I'm just tired of these crazies I have as clients.... :-? :-[
Last edited by The Balanced Man on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Job Market

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:20 am

The Balanced Man wrote:I hear employment is down. I don't see that though. If it is, I think "underemployment" is up. Lots of people working in jobs they are overqualified for, and not being able to find a job fir for them.

I would agree...My best friend who has a degree in physics is now working as a quality assurance agent for an insurance company. He could do that job in his sleep whereas a lot of others at the place have a tough time trying to get all their work done. He was good with computer stuff also, so he could be out there doing some important physical calculations or something like that instead of taking up space at a job that has absolutely nothing to do with his field of study. His girlfriend works there too, and she used to study physics as well.

I never understood why my friend went to school for physics (and took some pretty tough classes) when I knew dang well he'd never do anything with his degree. He could have taken business classes and gotten easy A's and then tied it into insurance...instead he sat through intense lectures, tried to do unworkable math questions and got C's and D's.

Anyway, the point is I think you're right. A lot of people just aren't applying themselves and taking the easy way out in getting jobs that are way too easy for their ability. Unfortunately, it's up to the employer to keep overqualified people out of those type of jobs. As far as the job market - you and I are in the wrong area. The Rust Belt has nothing to offer people now that the steel market is gone. All the jobs are in the South and West - NC, SC, FL, and AZ. I'm sure NY and NJ have a good share as well. Ohio and PA are losing the younger population every year to these states. It's where the livable weather and jobs are these days. :,-(
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:40 am

The Balanced Man wrote:Anyone else a little frustrated with the Job Market right now?

I'm looking to switch to a different area of law (attorney) but nowhere is hiring. Other Attorneys I know are having the same problem too. Man, I miss the Clinton Years. Jobs were everywhere.

I hear unemployment is down. I don't see that though. If it is, I think "underemployment" is up. Lots of people working in jobs they are overqualified for, and not being able to find a job fit for them.

Eh oh well. I'm sure sooner or later I'll make the switch. I'm just tired of these crazies I have as clients.... :-? :-[

Part of the problem is that there are way too many lawyers. If the market is saturated with qualified people, their value goes down. The same think is happening in the IT and programming fields.

BTW, the technology boom of the 90s is what made the economy so great... not Clinton. Of course that didn't stop him from taking the credit. :-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:43 am

The DC metro area has tons of job openings. And being that you are an attorney I'm sure you could find a firm that is right for you. This is all contingent upon the fact that you would need relocate. But this area is great and thriving.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:48 am

josebach wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:Anyone else a little frustrated with the Job Market right now?

Part of the problem is that there are way too many lawyers. If the market is saturated with qualified people, their value goes down. The same think is happening in the IT and programming fields.

BTW, the technology boom of the 90s is what made the economy so great... not Clinton. Of course that didn't stop him from taking the credit. :-)

Never said it was Slick Willy who caused the boom. Just miss those years.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:04 pm

I just graduated from college last summer and when I went on the job search there were tons of openings in my field. I went through 9 interviews before I found the right job. Granted Its not the greatest job field, but there were ample opportunities. I guess it all depends on what type of work you are looking for and in what area.

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:10 pm

TN_Titans_05 wrote:I just graduated from college last summer and when I went on the job search there were tons of openings in my field. I went through 9 interviews before I found the right job. Granted Its not the greatest job field, but there were ample opportunities. I guess it all depends on what type of work you are looking for and in what area.

There were nine job openings in the field of Beer Quality Tester? Amazing! ;-) :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:30 pm

Redskins Win wrote:The DC metro area has tons of job openings. And being that you are an attorney I'm sure you could find a firm that is right for you. This is all contingent upon the fact that you would need relocate. But this area is great and thriving.

I am looking to work in DC sometime next year. I don't graduate from LSU until May, but I have already started looking for jobs. Hopefully, I will get the internship I want at the EPA.

But finding opportunities has been tough. I am a geography major and I want to do environmental work, but most of the openings are for experienced workers only. I have very little experience (under one year at the Louisiana DEQ), so the sledding is a little tough. But I figure I am starting my search early enough to combat any misfortune.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:01 pm

mikus wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:The DC metro area has tons of job openings. And being that you are an attorney I'm sure you could find a firm that is right for you. This is all contingent upon the fact that you would need relocate. But this area is great and thriving.

I am looking to work in DC sometime next year. I don't graduate from LSU until May, but I have already started looking for jobs. Hopefully, I will get the internship I want at the EPA.

But finding opportunities has been tough. I am a geography major and I want to do environmental work, but most of the openings are for experienced workers only. I have very little experience (under one year at the Louisiana DEQ), so the sledding is a little tough. But I figure I am starting my search early enough to combat any misfortune.

This is the part that pisses me off too. I graduated last may and have applied to alot of stuff in banks and have yet to be hired by one. Almost all the jobs ask for experience. I mean, how do they expect you to get experience, if nobody will hire you.

Would mind getting one of those beer tasting job interviews you turned down ;-D ;-D
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:05 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:This is the part that pisses me off too. I graduated last may and have applied to alot of stuff in banks and have yet to be hired by one. Almost all the jobs ask for experience. I mean, how do they expect you to get experience, if nobody will hire you.

Would mind getting one of those beer tasting job interviews you turned down ;-D ;-D

Many banks hire based not so much on the experience they claim but on the "looks" of the candidate. You'd be surprised to find out how often that's true. I've had clients actually tell me that they passed over better-qualified candidates when they were bank managers to hire pretty girls or handsome men. It's weird, too, because you don't think about a bank as somewhere that would be image-conscious, but they are. I find it time and again in my job.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk