The Job Market - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Job Market

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:14 pm

knapplc wrote:
DelhommesFan1 wrote:This is the part that pisses me off too. I graduated last may and have applied to alot of stuff in banks and have yet to be hired by one. Almost all the jobs ask for experience. I mean, how do they expect you to get experience, if nobody will hire you.

Would mind getting one of those beer tasting job interviews you turned down ;-D ;-D

Many banks hire based not so much on the experience they claim but on the "looks" of the candidate. You'd be surprised to find out how often that's true. I've had clients actually tell me that they passed over better-qualified candidates when they were bank managers to hire pretty girls or handsome men. It's weird, too, because you don't think about a bank as somewhere that would be image-conscious, but they are. I find it time and again in my job.

I think he just called you ugly. 8-o
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:15 pm

knapplc wrote:
DelhommesFan1 wrote:This is the part that pisses me off too. I graduated last may and have applied to alot of stuff in banks and have yet to be hired by one. Almost all the jobs ask for experience. I mean, how do they expect you to get experience, if nobody will hire you.

Would mind getting one of those beer tasting job interviews you turned down ;-D ;-D

Many banks hire based not so much on the experience they claim but on the "looks" of the candidate. You'd be surprised to find out how often that's true. I've had clients actually tell me that they passed over better-qualified candidates when they were bank managers to hire pretty girls or handsome men. It's weird, too, because you don't think about a bank as somewhere that would be image-conscious, but they are. I find it time and again in my job.

you callin me ugly? haha :-o
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby xted30 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:20 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

you callin me ugly? haha :-o

For anyone looking into financial positions, I would suggest Fidelity Investments. I just took a position there, have been there almost 4 months and have already gotten my series 7 & 63 licenses on the company's dime, and by the time I'm here for 6 months, I'll have become a certified trader, and have the experience to keep climbing the ladder. If anyone needs info, PM me, send an e-mail to mailto:CS2to4156@aol.com, or check out https://www.fidelity.com/
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: The Job Market

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:41 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:Anyone else a little frustrated with the Job Market right now?

I'm looking to switch to a different area of law (attorney) but nowhere is hiring. Other Attorneys I know are having the same problem too. Man, I miss the Clinton Years. Jobs were everywhere.

I hear unemployment is down. I don't see that though. If it is, I think "underemployment" is up. Lots of people working in jobs they are overqualified for, and not being able to find a job fit for them.

Eh oh well. I'm sure sooner or later I'll make the switch. I'm just tired of these crazies I have as clients.... :-? :-[

I'm totally with you on this one. I'm just graduated from college in Sept with a degree in Information Technology and I still haved found a job within my field of study. It's sooo fustrating b/c my student loans payments are gonna hit in March so my window on opportunity is getting smaller :-o :-[
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:00 pm

DelhommesFan1 wrote:
mikus wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:The DC metro area has tons of job openings. And being that you are an attorney I'm sure you could find a firm that is right for you. This is all contingent upon the fact that you would need relocate. But this area is great and thriving.

I am looking to work in DC sometime next year. I don't graduate from LSU until May, but I have already started looking for jobs. Hopefully, I will get the internship I want at the EPA.

But finding opportunities has been tough. I am a geography major and I want to do environmental work, but most of the openings are for experienced workers only. I have very little experience (under one year at the Louisiana DEQ), so the sledding is a little tough. But I figure I am starting my search early enough to combat any misfortune.

This is the part that pisses me off too. I graduated last may and have applied to alot of stuff in banks and have yet to be hired by one. Almost all the jobs ask for experience. I mean, how do they expect you to get experience, if nobody will hire you.

I have to third this one! I did an internship for a year and a half in college yet was turned down many times due to lack of experience. Everytime I left an interview being told that, I sit there questioning how the hell am I supposed to get this experience if nobody will give me a shot!!

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:59 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I think he just called you ugly. 8-o

LMAO classic ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Re: The Job Market

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:04 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:Anyone else a little frustrated with the Job Market right now?

I'm looking to switch to a different area of law (attorney) but nowhere is hiring. Other Attorneys I know are having the same problem too. Man, I miss the Clinton Years. Jobs were everywhere.

I hear unemployment is down. I don't see that though. If it is, I think "underemployment" is up. Lots of people working in jobs they are overqualified for, and not being able to find a job fit for them.

Eh oh well. I'm sure sooner or later I'll make the switch. I'm just tired of these crazies I have as clients.... :-? :-[

I'm totally with you on this one. I'm just graduated from college in Sept with a degree in Information Technology and I still haved found a job within my field of study. It's sooo fustrating b/c my student loans payments are gonna hit in March so my window on opportunity is getting smaller :-o :-[

I'm a programmer and know exactly what you mean. It's almost impossible to get a job without experience. I was so relieved when I got my first programming job. Don't expect a high paying first job. You may have to swallow your pride a little bit and take a low paying job, but the sooner you start working, the sooner you'll have enough experience to find a better job. Being good also helps. ;-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:33 pm

knapplc wrote:

While I have no doubt this happens, that is not a fair hiring practice. Sex sells...we know it from TV; real life is not like TV though. Not every person in the world is hot (unlike TV), and everyone needs to make a living. How can they do that when the employers only take on nice looking people? I suppose they figure more customers will come because guys will tell their friends, "You should go to this place because the ladies that work there are hot!"

Or, have we reached a point in society where all an employer thinks about is hiring employees in order to bang them at a later date? I surely hope not. :-t

The bottom line is that we should not have to have something like "affirmative action for average looking people." :-[
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:47 pm

I know the pain all you guys face, and i feel sorry for you :-°

I graduated in 2003 and I just got my first contract last september for teaching :-o There was supposed to be all these opening for teachers and bam the economy takes a dive. It sucked in Michigan for the last couple of years but it is getting better. Hope things get better for you ;-D
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Lushcrush » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:41 pm

It's tough out there. I have felt like a sex object everywhere I've ever worked. Thats a lot of pressure ... :-)
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk