Thoughts on the new HC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Green Bay Packers

Thoughts on the new HC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on the new HC?

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:31 pm

Why?

Ok, so after the shock has faded... I think I'm cautiously optimistic about Mike McCarthy as the new HC. The only reason is that I have a little trust in Ted Turner, I mean Thompson. He has gotten us some cap room and had a pretty nice draft last year with a dark horse in Nick Collins and Rodgers so we'll see. We have the money this year to sign what we don't draft, which was never true when Sherman was HC/GM
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Not impressed with TT so far. I was thrilled to get Rodgers, but Collins was a big reach and he passed on a lot of other good players.

I don't like the McCarthy signing, but we do have a ton of cap room so I have to give TT some credit. I will suspend judgement for one year on MM I suppose.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:01 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote: Collins was a big reach and he passed on a lot of other good players.

I don't like the McCarthy signing, but we do have a ton of cap room so I have to give TT some credit. I will suspend judgement for one year on MM I suppose.

It seemed like it at the time, but Collins is the Only impact maker I see at that spot.
(Thanks Leber)
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby umphrey » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:32 pm

I am also optimistic about this hiring. The more I read about him the more I like. I think he was the best guy to hire to develop Rodgers. When you look at his track record, he never coached for good teams. However, he did pretty well with what he had. IIRC the Saints offense did well between 2000 and 2004 when he coached there, and considerably worse in 05 when he left. It's hard to tell in 05 when he was with San Fran because they were so terrible I don't know if anyone could have coached them to success.

I like the new OC. He is supposedly installing a running system similiar to that of Denver's and Atlanta's, 2 of the top 3 running teams IMO and they don't have talent at HB.
umphrey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Teck » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 am

First response to this: Pissed off.

After I later thought about it, I figured what the hell, He's more no-nonsense than sherman, he'll say whats on his mind and maybe not be so conservative. I know he can do better than we did this year, because we'll at least have SOME talent then, and hopefully he can work with that.
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby CC » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:12 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote: Collins was a big reach and he passed on a lot of other good players.

It seemed like it at the time, but Collins is the Only impact maker I see at that spot.

Justin Miller, Darrent Williams (also a reach despite nice results), Khalif Barnes and Adam Terry, Darryl Blackstock, Eric Green.

Those are off the top of my head.

Just checked, Crowder (my ideal pick), Chris Henry, and Frank Gore would all have been nice.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:24 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:

Justin Miller, Darrent Williams (also a reach despite nice results), Khalif Barnes and Adam Terry, Darryl Blackstock, Eric Green.

Just checked, Crowder (my ideal pick), Chris Henry, and Frank Gore would all have been nice.

Miller was the first one on my mind... same for Henry.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:01 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:

Those are great players, but since they weren't starters for most of the year (Offensive Tackles notwithstanding) it's hard to compare their rookie years. If you are looking for TT to draft expected players or big name players I think you'll be dissappointed again this year. As long as we keep drafting people that produce for our team it's hard for me to disagree.
(Thanks Leber)
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CC » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:56 am

I am on board with the Nick Collins pick, I am just saying that he was a reach. He could have been had later in the draft and they should not have taken him so early.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PackerAttack84 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:26 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I am on board with the Nick Collins pick, I am just saying that he was a reach. He could have been had later in the draft and they should not have taken him so early.

I'm sure they would've been able to get him where the took Murphy.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Green Bay Packers