Mcgahee for next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mcgahee for next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mcgahee for next year?

Postby gogogadget » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:19 pm

I remember before before last season I was really high on this guy. He didn't quite live up to my expectation. Is he a solid first rounder for next year?
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Your Hero » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Perhaps. JP Losman is the only thing holding him back... I think people expected a little too much from him last year, though. Seemed to be getting a ton of hype from some places.
Your Hero
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jayday » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:53 pm

First rounder...sure

Top 5 hype like this year? No way...

But hey, we gotta remember, this is the best back in the league we're talking about here.... :-b
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby biju » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:09 pm

I'm not considering him a top 10 RB right now and I'm hoping a disappointing season will allow me to snag him in the second round (where he'll have good value). But I need someone consistent and productive for a 1st round choice and it's just not going to be him.

-M
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Lung » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:49 pm

FWIW, Fanball has him at #11.

11. Willis McGahee, Bills: If he can manage 1,247 yards in an awful season, his ceiling remains pretty high.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby SniperShot » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:56 pm

JP Losman better come a long way in preseason games if I'm to draft him late August.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby biju » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:43 pm

You know, the more I look at this the more I think this guy is ready to break out next year. And I'll bet you'll be able to get him for cheap. I just looked through his games this season and he tended to do well with a fair amount of carries (in some games he was getting single digit touches) and when the QB was doing well.

In other words, when the QB made defenses play back to cover the secondary and couldn't stick 8 guys in the box he performed well. In some cases, extremely well.

Now, to be fair this isn't always the case. There are certainly games where he underperformed when the QB was succeeding. I would say these are the games where teams basically took the stance that Losman/Holcomb would eventually lose the game for them by turning over the ball and that they only needed to stop McGahee. So McGahee failed, but the team probably did quite well (I didn't check to see if those games were won, lost, or indifferent) as a whole.

Anyway as I said before, I'm not going to invest a first round pick on him but I would have no problems taking him mid-2nd round. As a matter of fact, he's probably got good value compared to the other guys getting taken at that point.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:21 pm

It also depends on who the Bills draft, though. They are taking a good look at Winston Justice, the OT out of USC, with their first round pick. They could try and move up in the draft, but if they take a OT with their first pick, I think it will help out McGahee's value.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Keyser_WV » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:36 pm

Now that the coach quit I am assuming there will be a new offensive scheme that Losman will have to learn.

That can't be good imo. While they may rely on the run, defenses will stack the box on McGahee.

It also seems that he is easily frustrated when he doesn't get enough carries early on.

I watched him a couple times this past year and he just didn't seem to be running hard.

I also saw some quotes about how he was handling being on such a bad team and he said "I got my thousand yards. What else can I do"

While he is right, I just don't like the way it sounds.

To me he is a risk/reward guy.

Here are the RB's I would take before McGahee as of right now. In no particular order.

LT, SA, LJ, Edge, Tiki, L. Jordan, Rudi, Portis, S. Jackson, Westbrook, Cadillac, and T. Jones.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby jkpigskin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:45 pm

willis is a solid early to mid 2nd round pick for next year.... when i see him now i dont see the explosive back i saw at miami... i alwasy forget he was the hurricane who blew out his knee....

i expect him to have a similar season next year... yardage will be there but the TD's will be hard to come by
jkpigskin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk