My latest adventure. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My latest adventure.

Moderator: Football Moderators

My latest adventure.

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:11 am

With the arrival of the newest family member in Sept, we have been busting out of our current house. It's only 1180 sqft. Well the wife and I found a house we like. It's 2279 sqft. We have until Sunday to decide if we are going to dive in. They are going to raise the price 10 to 15 thousand dollars on Monday.

Our mortgage will more than double. Plus since this is a new build, got to put in the yard, build a fence (for the dog), put up blinds, and all the other things that come with a new house. Not looking forward to any of that mess.

Not to mention have to fix up the old house before we can put it on the market. Just the other day we had a little windstorm. The wind was so strong that it ripped my drive though gate wide open. I now have a couple of stones holding the gate close. Little stuff like this that I have to fix now. :-#

The new house if we get approved is only 5-10 minutes away from our current home. There won't be much of a change to our normal routine except our oldest son will have to change schools.

I've been wanting out of this house for some time, now that it looks like it could become reality, I'm a just a little nervous.
Last edited by SeaWolf on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:46 am

Housewarming party at SeaWolf's place! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:44 am

Hope everything works out for you. We had a house built in 2003 - same thing - fence for dog, yard, little fix-ups. I think it was well worth it. ;-D We now have 2 kids and are using all the rooms 8-o There is no way we could have made it in the old place.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:55 am

Last July we moved from our 1400 sf house to our current 2150 sf with pool house. Yes, selling and buying was a pain in the arse but when all is said and done....man was it worth it. Good luck and go for it!
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:01 am

I hate moving, me and my wife have moved 7 different times in the 9 years we have been married. I would definately reccomend to move up if it does not strain the budget too much. You can never have enough room in a house especially with kid(s). Good luck ;-D

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:08 am

Just got a house myself. Its great having the extra room, you will love it! Our mortgage doubled too, we had to cut back on some little things, but it is so worth it.

the only killer is the GAS BILL...$450 last month 8-o 8-o 8-o

Thank god for the budget plan.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hastur » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:48 am

Seawolf, have you considered keeping the house your in now and renting it out? Lots and lots of factors involved with that decision though. How much equity do you have in your current home? Were you planning on using that equity for the downpayment on the new home?

Just something to think about. There is a glut of information out there these days on this subject.
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:54 am

hastur wrote:Seawolf, have you considered keeping the house your in now and renting it out? Lots and lots of factors involved with that decision though. How much equity do you have in your current home? Were you planning on using that equity for the downpayment on the new home?

Just something to think about. There is a glut of information out there these days on this subject.

BINGO! We have a winner. :-) There is no other way for me to get that down payment, unless I am able to reuse my VA loan. Zero down saved my a$$ when we bought our current home in '98.

But yes we have thought about using it as a rental. Step father in-law has a few, but I don't think I want the hassel.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:03 am

That's such a big decision. If you can swing the mortgage then I'd say definitely do it - and that means eating ramen noodles for a while until you figure your new budget out if you have to.

We're on our third house right now and contemplating selling to buy a fourth house closer to work. It's always a big decision, made all the more complicated by figuring out what to do with your kid's school.

Good luck!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:14 am

I just moved into a new house about 5 months ago.
Huge pain in the butt.

Our last house was brand new, its amazing how much the things you mentioned, fences, blinds etc add up to.

I would do the rental idea (with your existing place) it will pay dividends in the long term and you wont regret it, even if it is a hassle at times.

Good luck ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Next

Return to General Talk