Return to General Talk

Hermaphrodite Polar Bears!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:44 am

Lushcrush wrote:
josebach wrote:
Homeless wrote::,-(

Its only going to get worse.

This may sound out there, but I really think that sooner or later the planet will do something to either get rid of us or at least lower our numbers to the point that we stop destroying the planet. Look at the population explosion the last 100 years. In 1900, there was roughly 1 billion people on the planet. By 2000, there was 6 billion and by 2012 or so, there's expected to be 7 billion. We obviously can't keep going at this pace.

It's only a matter of time until the human Ebola virus mutates into an airborne variant and when it does we'll all be gone before you know it.
So ... no worries mate 8-o

That'll help me sleep tonight, thanks for that! ;-D

Actually, the Avian flu is probably more likely to hit us first. It could be just a mutation or two away from being transmitable between humans. 50% of those infected so far have died.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:56 pm

As Cleveland from the Family Guy would say, "That's just nasty!"
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:49 pm

VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:14 pm

Only when big business or governments find a way to capitalize monetarily on the situation will something be done.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flockers » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:18 pm

The sad thing is some people refuse to believe that global warming is happening.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:32 pm

Flockers wrote:The sad thing is some people refuse to believe that global warming is happening.

The question isn't whether or not it's happening, the question is whether or not it's a direct result of man. Considering the world naturally goes through heating and cooling phases, it's impossible to determine how much of an impact we're actually having on the planet's temperature. Considering this, we have two choices. 1) Do nothing and hope we're not to blame. 2) Assume we're to blame and try to stop our contribution to it.

It baffles me how many people let their political affiliation choose for them. Global warming and protecting the environment should NOT be a political issue.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Flockers » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:39 pm

I should have made myself more clear. Your the second portion of your response was what I was touching at.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby awwchrist » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:09 pm

Front runner for thread title of the year.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:14 am

josebach wrote:The question isn't whether or not it's happening, the question is whether or not it's a direct result of man. Considering the world naturally goes through heating and cooling phases, it's impossible to determine how much of an impact we're actually having on the planet's temperature. Considering this, we have two choices. 1) Do nothing and hope we're not to blame. 2) Assume we're to blame and try to stop our contribution to it.

It baffles me how many people let their political affiliation choose for them. Global warming and protecting the environment should NOT be a political issue.

Great post. Very well said. ;-D ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:50 am

josebach wrote:
Lushcrush wrote:
josebach wrote:
Homeless wrote::,-(

Its only going to get worse.

This may sound out there, but I really think that sooner or later the planet will do something to either get rid of us or at least lower our numbers to the point that we stop destroying the planet. Look at the population explosion the last 100 years. In 1900, there was roughly 1 billion people on the planet. By 2000, there was 6 billion and by 2012 or so, there's expected to be 7 billion. We obviously can't keep going at this pace.

It's only a matter of time until the human Ebola virus mutates into an airborne variant and when it does we'll all be gone before you know it.
So ... no worries mate 8-o

That'll help me sleep tonight, thanks for that! ;-D

Actually, the Avian flu is probably more likely to hit us first. It could be just a mutation or two away from being transmitable between humans. 50% of those infected so far have died.

In countries like Turkey and China, who aren't exactly known for their world-renowned medical system. At most, the deaths would struggle to surpass Spanish Influenza in 1918, which killed about 20 million people. Thats not even close to make a dent in the world population. We've progressed too far in terms of medical technology for a disease to make a significant dent, like the bubonic plague did in the 13th and 14th century. Your best hope would be HIV/AIDS, and even that is becoming less deadly. Probably nothing short of nuclear war is going to make a huge dent in the population.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk